Filing A Rim Out

crispyboy

When i done my front hog rim to squares, i used a rounded circle file to get the ain shape, like filed to each corner because its quicker when using the circular file. The i made the square shape and filed all edges straight with a basic square file.

Picked up a set of 3 files from B&Q for £5

take out the 2nd wall, buy a dremel, and a file, cut the inner wall out, a section at a time, make sure you're in no rush to get it done cause if you rush you'll f**k it up + loose the rim, then use a file to smoothen off any burs and away you go, pretty obvious really? plenty of people have single-walled a rim, not worth it if your a basher though...

Dont touch it. It'll only end in tears, theres no need for it to be any lighter, I can't see it being very strong if you do. Save the money that you would undoubtably need on a new rim and grow some muscles instead.

Edit: Hmm, looks over stiffness, think i know which one I would choose

Edited by walker

liiiiight, im running a 630g echo 07 rim and im only 64kg :blink:

Which rim do you run on the rear to get it so light?

the 409 gram trialtech rim -60 grams of material..

don´t really know how it will hold up yet, only ridden it a few hours... but if it fails i will know that and only remove like 20-30 grams. sub 400 is no problems if your a smooth rider, witch ryan is!

I will be honest and say that it is surprising how well a single walled rim will last! I am running a try-all hOles rear rim on my 26inch and i am 125kg!! I have had it for 6 months now and it has barely gone out of true and only as one VERY small flatspot! From what I understand Ryan you are a fairly light rider, you might get away with the rim single walled. Filing the rim out will not take that long though as it is only one skin that has to be removed, I would say it would be possible within an hour or so if you realy go for it :P Unfortunately most people do not have access to a milling maching like I do......

Adam

I will be honest and say that it is surprising how well a single walled rim will last! I am running a try-all hOles rear rim on my 26inch and i am 125kg!! I have had it for 6 months now and it has barely gone out of true and only as one VERY small flatspot! From what I understand Ryan you are a fairly light rider, you might get away with the rim single walled. Filing the rim out will not take that long though as it is only one skin that has to be removed, I would say it would be possible within an hour or so if you realy go for it :PUnfortunately most people do not have access to a milling maching like I do......

Adam

I do now :D

what rim for the rear though? Was thinking try-all 47mm ( old style ) milled to H0le style?