Have You Returned Apple Items?

Token

Hi guys,

I have an appointment with a 'Genius' bloke at an Apple shop on Friday morning, I'm not sure what this 'Genius' shit is they were on about when I phoned them but nevertheless my iPhone is showing a 'White Screen of Death' after updating the software to 3.1.3 and I'm taking it into them to sort out because hard reset doesn't work and I've tried ateast 20 times now.

My main gripe is however, has anyone ever taken anything back to an Apple shop that's been faulty? What do they do? And is there any chance that they'll open it up? (Opening it up being the main thing I'm worried about as I replaced the digitiser/glass before this problem occured although I'm pretty sure they're not going to notice that either way)

So yeah, any clues or ideas as to what I can expect would be appreciated, I don't know if I'm going to be interrogated and is there any information I should withold from them?

i think the genius thing is, they plug it in to some software and it tells them whats wrong with it basically. If its f**ked they will give u a brand spanking new usually! they are awesome in that sense. However they may want to send it off to be repaired rather than a new one. Either way you will be sorted out unless they find your handy work

I bought an imac 27'' which arrived with a fault fan. They picked it up and a new one is coming today.

Granted there has been a little bit of messing around due to changing delivery addresses. They haven't been great in sorting out my delivery, but very obliging in replacing a fault item.

Okay thanks, just had a look on the apple website, it says if you have a fault with your iphone then bring the phone, headphones, cable and charger but doesn't say anything about the box which is a bonus as I don't have the box.

I really don't like this idea of meeting with a 'Genius' to discuss my phones problem. It sounds f**king cliche, the phone doesn't work, they're not going to be able to get it to work no matter how big a genius they think they are. They aren't going to be a load of Jimmy Neutrons. Gayers.

They'll have a look at the moisture detector in the headphone jack to check it hasn't been for a swim, then run some diagnostics and give you a refurb one. Or even a new one if you only recently bought it.

...Unless they find out about the mods, or see that it's rooted/jailbroken

From my experience, I'd be amazed if the guys on the floor are competent enough to open an iPhone correctly. I wouldn't worry.

Edited by konstant

They'll have a look at the moisture detector in the headphone jack to check it hasn't been for a swim, then run some diagnostics and give you a refurb one. Or even a new one if you only recently bought it.

...Unless they find out about the mods, or see that it's rooted/jailbroken

From my experience, I'd be amazed if the guys on the floor are competent enough to open an iPhone correctly. I wouldn't worry.

Okay, well literally the 'White Screen of Death' has gone now and the phone has given up the ghost, no matter what combination of button pressing whilst plugged into the mains does anything. I think it must be absolutely dead now.

You can't tell it's been opened as I've replaced the 'do not remove' sticker that's over one of the logic board screws as a warranty void device. The only way it can tell it's had a new digitiser would be to pry the glass off the frame. It looks almost new.

Hopefully it'll go okay, I think I'm pretty good at influencing peoples decisions, especially if they think they're the best thing since sliced bread at what they do.

Taking my iPhone in tomorrow for them to look at.

It keeps losing signal! I can have it sat next to another phone on the same network, that'd have full, mine will have nothing.

Bloody thing!

Haven't got a shiny case on it have you? Regardless, I believe iPhones have poor reception anyway.

My iphone always takes ages to open apps. Or even just the slide to unlock can take around 10 seconds for it to do anything. Bloody things.

Do a full restore and DON'T reload your backup. It will be fast and good as new then.

My screen is full of dust/muck and it has a crack up the back from the dock connector. You think they would do squat if i took it in? It's over 12 months old now.

• Like 2

Last time I went in with a genius appointment to look at my phone, they wanted to £100 something to replace the handset cos my on/off button was broke.

And also my iphone currently can't make any calls or send texts, but I can receive them. So gonna go in tomorrow and see what the heck is going on.

So basically I went in today, had my appointment at 11am, had a look at the phone and I explained what had happened (updated on itunes to 3.1.3 and wouldn't startup after) he basically said it's out of its 12 month warranty so I had to shell out £139 for a new one after he scrutinised it with his magnifying glass down the headphone jack to see for moisture ingress which it has had no contact with water and tried saying the phone in general wasn't in pristine condition so I was to blame. So much for the EU 2 year warranty directive on electrical goods. Apple pricks.

Big Tip for anyone trying to get warranty work done on their iphones don't take in the box it came in when new, they can tell how old your phone is by pulling out the sim tray, it has a serial number and your imei number on there if I was to want to get work done in warranty but my phone was out of warranty then I'd probably swap my sim tray with a friend who's had their iphone for less than 12 months.

Interesting theory. Did they not check your receipt? Actually I'm fairly sure they'll have your information on the computer?

Providing that you book an appointment in advance* I've had only good experiences with Apple. I've actually had 4 iPhones now - the first 3 all developed different faults. Each time, they just take a look down the headphone socket and dock connector (with an otoscope ;) ) to check the moisture sensors, and handed me a new one there and then. Mine's well out of its 1 year warranty now though, I doubt they would be so helpful.

* If you don't book, they're really irritating and unhelpful. I bought an iPod years ago, got home and the play button didn't work (it's kind of useful). I took it back the same day, expecting a replacement, but they were insisting that I needed an appointment - so the 'genius' could check that the button was broken! It wasn't until I started raising my voice that they actually looked at it.

• Like 1

Interesting theory. Did they not check your receipt? Actually I'm fairly sure they'll have your information on the computer?

Providing that you book an appointment in advance* I've had only good experiences with Apple. I've actually had 4 iPhones now - the first 3 all developed different faults. Each time, they just take a look down the headphone socket and dock connector (with an otoscope ;) ) to check the moisture sensors, and handed me a new one there and then. Mine's well out of its 1 year warranty now though, I doubt they would be so helpful.

* If you don't book, they're really irritating and unhelpful. I bought an iPod years ago, got home and the play button didn't work (it's kind of useful). I took it back the same day, expecting a replacement, but they were insisting that I needed an appointment - so the 'genius' could check that the button was broken! It wasn't until I started raising my voice that they actually looked at it.

Yeah basically I didn't have a receipt with it being 17 months old but the 'genius' checked out when it ran out of warranty on his computer from looking at the serial number on the sim tray, the only issue I could foresee with swapping your sim tray with somebody elses is that the IMEI number is also on there aswell so you could end up screwing over the person you've pinched their sim tray from if that IMEI ever got blocked.

I did have to book an appointment an there was some guy who turned up like 10 minutes late for his appointment and he just got told to book another one, fair enough they seemed busy but they are all such a bunch of jumped up pricks it's unreal.

Check out this video for example at 4 minutes onwards:

They work in a shop selling electronic equipment, they need to get the f**k over themselves

Edited by Token

Taking mine into the shop I got it from tomorrow. Keeps not sending messages and calls aren't connecting. Have to do about 3 resets before it's recognised. Did a full format without loading the old back up on. Sped it up like mad, now the bloody thing has this other problem. Lawnmowermans does the same thing. Both on orange. Shitty things

post-8303-127168595695_thumb.jpg

That woman pretty much sums up why I hate these f**king stores. She sees the camera for literally a split second and her initial reaction is to do some stupid pose...of course, she works for Apple, she's so qwirky and off da' hook!

Calling their technicans a 'genius' is a bit ridiculous. If they're so f**king clever why are they working in a shop?...Which is what it is, no matter what they call it to try and make it sound snazzy.