Leeson For Light Djing?

aener

At the minute, I've got my mod for trials, and as a bit of fun on the side had the 609 set up as a brakeless machine.

I'm now starting to like the idea of dirt jumping.

I by no means intend on taking it too far - just going to some BMX tracks etc. I don't wanna buy a bike just for something I'll probably only do very occasionally.

First off - I'll only be able to get to 20:12 gear ratio. ('Burns on the front.) Is this gonna be too light? I hear 30/36:15 is the norm...

Next - forks. I don't mind hunting around on eBay for some cheap suspension forks - but would that rape the geo too much?

I'm not to certain on DJ's different geo's, but the BB already is a bit high, by the sound of it.

If it'll make it too weird - is a rigid front end out of the question? BMXers seem to manage just fine - would a 24 be alright?

Ta.

I use my echo 24" for this sort of stuff quite often since we (well I) built a pump track and the bmx track local to us has been updated. Anyway, I know it isn't the most ideal set up in the world (mine is just trials spec) but it doesn't stop me having fun and i still manage to beat some of the dirt jumpers for pace even being brakeless and a low ratio.

My advice is to jump on it and play (Y)

It should be alright - they're not the most "trialsy" frames out there anyway. I think the main problem will be the BB height which will be higher than on most jump bikes. As long as you don't put massive forks on, it should be OK. Raise the front end with some bars with decent rise if it's feeling low (I.e. you'll want to raise the bars without affecting the BB height).

Oh, and I'm pretty sure it'll snap if you actually use it for a long time as a jump bike :(

Stick some light 80mm forks and as suggested above 22-12 or 22-13 ratio on and it works fine. Yeh its not a proper jump bike but it does the job if you've nout else.

I've also taken mine cross country with a long long seat post and a rear cassette giving me ratios between 22-24 and 22-11. Was great on the technical sections, not such a great climber :P

If I were you I'd just get some other cheap cranks and chain and swap them over when you want to DJ or trials it up. Personally though, I think you'd be best off aiming to build up a nice cheap DJ specific rig.

If I were you I'd just get some other cheap cranks and chain and swap them over when you want to DJ or trials it up. Personally though, I think you'd be best off aiming to build up a nice cheap DJ specific rig.

Ah - y'see, these 'Burns are special...

They're STUCK 'Burns :giggle:

Haha. No such thing though... Rubber mallet, pedals off, give both sides of the pedal end a good (but not tooooo good) whack a few times to get it loosened :)

Mate, they won't be stuck for long if you want them off once i'm back from dubai!

Rigid forks would do, but you can always get some cheap zocchy's and cut them down to about 60-80mm travel and then you're set!

Haha. No such thing though... Rubber mallet, pedals off, give both sides of the pedal end a good (but not tooooo good) whack a few times to get it loosened :)

Trust us... I was there - the bb axle was coming out of the bb rather than the crank coming off.

And with it being a Leeson, I'd rather not have BB issues. I would like to ride it once a year at least, and I hear it'll likely be gone upwards of that :P

Also - I don't really WANT them off, I was just mentioning I don't have much choice.

And with it being a Leeson, I'd rather not have BB issues. I would like to ride it once a year at least, and I hear it'll likely be gone upwards of that :P

Also - I don't really WANT them off, I was just mentioning I don't have much choice.

Well if the axle was coming out of the bb, keep hitting it out, unscrew the cups from the frame and fit a new bb? Then just heat the axle/crank arm, whack it in a vice and knock it out.

Well if the axle was coming out of the bb, keep hitting it out, unscrew the cups from the frame and fit a new bb? Then just heat the axle/crank arm, whack it in a vice and knock it out.

This is what I mean. Not only would that cost me a new BB, they're pressed or glued or they do something funky. Have to send it to Clive to fit/remove.

Aaaand I don't want to change cranks anyway, as I said.

The BB shell is massively longer and extends over the sides of th cups all the way to the cranks. Maybe something to do with stiffer back end, but I think it's mostly 'cause he couldn't bend the tubes.

This would also explain the two-tubes-in-to-one seat tube, rather than just a bent one.

Oh my...

I DON'T WANT TO CHANGE MY CRANKS.

I've said this multiple times already :P

Well in that case, no your Leeson won't get you very far, even for some light DJing. Saying you won't change something over and over doesn't mean it's not the right thing to do...

• 3 weeks later...

Just incase anyone wants to do this in future - it works pretty nicely. Feels very much like the Dr Jekyl that belonged to the guy I was with.

Was fine with both rigids, and 85mm travel suspension - in both my opinion, and an expierienced DJer.

Gear ratio of 20:12 was also not too bad on a BMX/4X track.