Tarty Days Feedback

AdamR28

The only reason I didn't show was that it was during the time that I had exams. If it was just a week or two later I am sure me and many others would have come. It also clashed with a tyketrial at the time which could have effected numbers.

Other than that it all looked spot on, apart from the actual obstacles but I can't comment very well cause I didn't actually go.

Yea nick you grandma driver! You set off of least half hour before us, and we stopped for petrol and overtook you on the m6 did you get lost? hahaha

We'd not even gotten out of Wales and everyone in the car was asleep, I wasn't in a rush so was only doing about 60 most the way back, you had better aero dynamics than me, so by the time we got to the M6 toll you were bound to catch up, plus if I remember I think we got stuck in a little traffic on the M6 towards the toll

Not in your dad's car eh, especially after that Welshman kicked it :rolleyes:

Yea note to everyone not in the loop, Welshmen are cunts and will kick your car if you leave it in a carpark in Wales with an England flag out the window, that was probably the low point of the trip was coming out of CO-OP and seeing what the vandals had done, so if you go in the future keep your eye out on the locals! The next Friday got a new car and didn't have to pay any excess so its fiiiiiiine.

Yea note to everyone not in the loop, Welshmen are cunts and will kick your car if you leave it next to a bonfire in Wales with an lynx can in it, that was probably the low point of the trip was coming out of CO-OP and seeing what the vandals had done, so if you go in the future keep your eye out on the locals! The next Friday got a new car and didn't have to pay any excess so its fiiiiiiine.

It also clashed with a tyketrial at the time which could have effected numbers.

Assuming that it happens in the same sorta scenario next year as this year (i.e. week after Woodfest), it's at the mercy of when they set their own dates - I doubt Tyketrials are really on their radar, so it's a bit of a gamble really. Equally though, if you're able to go Fri-Sat you can still hit up the Tyketrial on Sunday. I did the first 2 days then went to the comp, Stan did Friday, and I know Carl and a few others did the same too. Plenty of ways around it, really, it just requires a bit of effort.

Yea note to everyone not in the loop, Welshmen are cunts and will kick your car if you leave it in a carpark in Wales with an England flag out the window, that was probably the low point of the trip was coming out of CO-OP and seeing what the vandals had done, so if you go in the future keep your eye out on the locals! The next Friday got a new car and didn't have to pay any excess so its fiiiiiiine.

Them pesky welshmen :rolleyes:

The venue was pretty much perfect I think, The way I look at it is that I enjoyed it more than I probably would have enjoyed download festival the same weekend. Unless you're coming from REALLY far off, it's still gonna be far cheaper than any of the music festivals too, Makes sense to me

Yeah venue was spot on i think, walking distance to pubs and local shops which was helpful. Riding was good and challenging, but yeah as said before, more movable objects would of made it even better to cater for more abilities. Will definitely be attending next year if it's still on, meet some new people and some old faces which is always nice.

I didn't go due to being a slack b*****d and being on a beach at the time. HOWEVER. Arrange some sort of trampolining/dance/netball comp/festival at the same time at the same place so theres many womens about. That may give some trials riders a chance to have sex.

I didn't go due to being a slack b*****d and being on a beach at the time. HOWEVER. Arrange some sort of trampolining/dance/netball comp/festival at the same time at the same place so theres many womens about. That may give some trials riders a chance to have sex.

Can i come to your festivals??

I didnt make it due to being in lanazorte but im in next year

Assuming that it happens in the same sorta scenario next year as this year (i.e. week after Woodfest), it's at the mercy of when they set their own dates - I doubt Tyketrials are really on their radar, so it's a bit of a gamble really. Equally though, if you're able to go Fri-Sat you can still hit up the Tyketrial on Sunday. I did the first 2 days then went to the comp, Stan did Friday, and I know Carl and a few others did the same too. Plenty of ways around it, really, it just requires a bit of effort.

Yeah, it was a shame the way the dates ended up clashing. Unfortunately we'd already set our dates (in January) and paid fees, insurance etc. so couldn't move the comp. I'm aware that with Tarty Days using the Woodfest course the weekend after it meant that it was also unmoveable, so there wasn't anything that could be done about it. Now we know that it's (probably? definitely?) going on next year we cam try to take that into account when setting dates for our comps. Although, if it's not possible to have them on separate weekends it is possible to attend both - Stan and Mark both went to Tarty Days and the Lee Quarry Tykes round, as did a lot of other club members, so as far as I can see it's no biggie (Y)

I couldn't make it this year (or to the Tykes) as I had stuff planned with family, but will hopefully be able to make it next year - the course looked awesome! Tykes takes priority with me, but as mentioned, that shouldn't be a problem!

I had a really good time!

I thought it was an awsom weekend!

Defanatly have it next year? Also keep the showers :P they were nice and warm haha.

I would agree on adding to the course but from what I saw people were more after street things to ride rather than the natty, like as soon as the trailer was brought out everyone was dying to session it.

So maby add more street things to it, maby more pallets ect.

But over all id rate it high! I had a really good weekend and im sure if it was to happen again more people would join because of all the posative feedback from it.

Looked really good from all the pictures I've seen Adam gutted i couldn't make it.

One thing i'd like to suggest i saw an awful lot of people not wearing helmets in pictures!

HELMETS SAVE LIVES!!! I really think you should make helmets mandatory. Just my 10 pence worth.

I would hope some people would agree with me on this!

Edited by PoloTrials

i thought it was really good, the course was good, but i feel if it covered more area then it would give more variety, but as it was built for a demo you could clearly see that...but it was clear it was professionally built, when we turned up i was in awe of how perfect the course looked.

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR THE OVERWHELMINGLY POSITIVE FEEDBACK.

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to contribute to this topic.

Tarty Days 2010 has been and gone and there are already calls for a Tarty Days2011.

This year's event was to test the water and get a feel for the interest in a multi-day UK trials festival.

We've waited until now to discuss 2011 because to go forward with the festival it needed all of the following parties to express their desire to see the eventto happen again:

Riders: You lot

Sponsors: Tarty Bikes, Inspired, Trial-tech

Organiser: Me (or someone else willing to take the event forward)

Course builders: The Oak Frame Company

Land owner: Local farmer

It would appear at this stage that all five parties are keen to make improvements on what was a great event this year and see it happen again.

Sounds like people are suggesting the following....

KEEP THE SAME:

- The showers, toilets, parking and camping facilities

- The amount of firewood

- The evening BBQ

- Bonfires [To some extent this will HAVE TO change. We can still have the seemingly limitless supply of fire wood but it needs to be focused on ONE bonfire not multiple like this year (there were seven scorched fire rings in the farmer'sfield and this was seemingly the only qualm he had with the entire event). I don't see having one big fire being a problem, it might actually be really good for the atmosphere (which was amazing this year) to all gather round one huge fire rather than be split up into smaller groups. If the numbers for 2011 are so large that a single fire is impractical then we'll simply use multiple steel fire troughs so as not to scorch the land.]

IMPROVEMENTS:

- More beginner & intermediate level riding objects – No problem

- More street type stuff – No problem

- A stall with spares – It will be discussed, there was very good reasons it didn't happen this year (See Ali's reply).

- Location – It's already been said that with the current organisation team the location in non-negotiable. I agree it would be great to see more of these type events all over the UK so maybe someone will organise one in a big city. On that note however I do believe that a contributing factor to the success of this event was in no small part due to the location itself. Set in the beautifulvale of Cwlyd in North Wales it was a great place to camp and hang out together and enjoy being miles away from any huge cities. (Plus all the other benefits of the current location that people have mentioned already)

- Dates – We'll announce the dates much earlier this time around so that people can plan to attend in advance. Unfortunately, as Mark already pointed out, thedates are pretty much set by the land owner and therefore we can't move the event to avoid any clashes. To be honest, in the summer months it'll nearlyalways clash with something so it's a matter of prioritising Tarty Days aboveabsolutely ANYTHING else!

- Helmets – Sagar has a really good point about helmets and indeed they will be mandatory next time around.

Please discuss this...

NEW STUFF:

1. Live bands:

Get a stage set up (marquee for adverse weather) and have evening parties with live music and a beer tent. Also, live music throughout the day whilst the riding happens.

2. Public event:

The costs would increase for public liability insurance (and a whole host of other logistical nightmares) but we could make it a public event for people to come and listen to the music (if that happens) and watch the riding.

3. Welsh Cycling Coaching:

If it is a public event that Welsh Cycling have expressed interest in using the event to introduce riders to trials specifically and mountain biking ingeneral. This could take the form of coaching and skills workshops.

4. Comps:

Best trick comp again (i.e. best single move), freestyle trials runs, scored by judges on creativity, fluidity, etc (i.e best two minute run), speed trials,etc etc

--------------------

p.s. My fault about the delay with the Inspired Tee's. I didn't get the 'winners' list off to Dave & Jon for a week or so after the event. Has everyone received them now?

Finally...

Can I just say again THANK YOU to everyone for SUCH positive feedback.

I was fairly (read as very) nervous about undertaking the organisation of an event like this but to get such an overwhelmingly supportive feedback is brilliant.

Also, one last time, can I thank everyone else who made it possible – TartyBikes, Inspired, Trial-tech, The Oak Frame Company, Restore Sports Massage, First Aid Team (Gaz & Netty), and everyone who helped me – CHEERS

Edited by mintsauce

The actual location itself was pretty ideal, as Matt said. It might not have suited you too well, but what the location had to offer was great, and if people can travel there from as far afield as they did then it's not really the end of the world. People are basically always going to be disappointed wherever it is, but if it was anywhere else then there wouldn't have been the course, facilities or amenities that that venue had.

If the date was set a fair way off then I'd consider coming next year although it would be down to the missus as she's expecting our 2nd child so don't know if I'd want to leave her on her own with the pair.

Not too keen on the live music though unless there could be an area away from it to ride and/or sleep as some may not want to listen when they're riding or might prefer to just chillout and chat around the fire.

The main thing that put me off coming this year was the obstacles available but if there'll be a lot more for all skill levels then thats definately a big plus.

Think the comps and possible involvement with Welsh Cycling would also be great as long as there's a chance of less skilled riders winning something, their own comp maybe, so they don't feel left out.