How To "wedge" Tutorial Video

bij

I made a "how to wedge" video to help introduce this move to intermediate riders. A "wedge" is a move where you are balanced on both wheels on top of 2 obstacles that are more than wheelbase apart. (Wheelbase is the distance from the center of the front hub to rear hub).

This move is recommended for riders who have a pretty good understanding of basics like hopping, coordinating pedal strokes with brake use, and back wheel hops.

I hope it helps some riders out there who trying to learn this move.

I hope this contribution can help get me validated as a full member on this site as well. :)

• Like 1

This is really good! Very detailed could help alot of people. I wish there were more videos like this out. Little request - would you be able to make a video on how to drop gap? I'm having a little trouble with them.

Laurence.

Thanks for commenting! For drop gaps I can do them but not so well.

For the time being, something you can try is watch vids with drop gaps in them and film your own techniques to compare with. (Y)

wow i have been wandering how to do this, this helps quit alot when you put it into slow motion :)

Yeah, slow motion combined with some things to look out for usually works best.

On a different note, would it be possible to get some votes for validation as well? :)

• Like 1

I call that move a bridge as you are bridging a gap with your bike.

a wedge to me is when an object (rock / wall etc) is wedged inbetween two wheels.

video is good though

Agree to Ben here. Wedge is in between the wheels.

Bridge is also a good name for this move. But from the time I first started doing this move I

have been calling it a "wedge."

The reasoning for calling it a "wedge" would be from looking at this from the rider's

perspective as it feels like the bike is wedged between the obstacles.

If only there were an international association that could standardize what moves to call what.

:)

I call that move a bridge as you are bridging a gap with your bike.

a wedge to me is when an object (rock / wall etc) is wedged inbetween two wheels.

video is good though

Beat me too it.

It's a fairly simple move and easy too learn, however The video is very good, well done :)

Beat me too it.

It's a fairly simple move and easy too learn, however The video is very good, well done :)

Thanks for the comment!

Ok, about the name of the move....what I am noticing here is a difference in British English and other English speaking countries.

For example, in the UK, people say "crisps" but other Englsh speaking countries will say "chips."

Is it not a similar case here? Here we have people in different parts of the world calling this move a "bridge" and other parts of the globe people will call it a "wedge."

:)

I have never really tryed that but now that i have seen the video im going to try it (Y).

Lol, I call it a surge from a wedge, but bridge makes sense also, at least it is not as daft as skateboard trick names.

Could anyone enlighten me on why it is called an ollie?

Well lookee here:

Wikipedia- The ollie is a no-handed, aerial skateboarding trick, invented by Alan "Ollie" Gelfand in 1978, and refined by Rodney Mullen in 1982 to be performed on flat ground.[1]

Do you know I have wondered that for years..........

• 2 weeks later...