Question For The V Brake Users

Matt Vandart

Are you running a grind on the front rim?

Im running the lightest possible, bigman originally did it back in oct '08 and Ive refreshed one side of it since to give alittle more bite. What Adam did was spin the wheel as fast as possible (in forks with tyre off) and litterally touched the disk onto the rim for 1/2 a second, the result was a grind mark every 10-12mm, most of the original machined rim wall is still intact (mavic xc717 for reference). Initially it was very bitey but has since worn down a bit and has a little more modulation now.

It works in the wet aswell, although not quite as well as the dry. Using HSB cnc cousts with sd7 arms and lever and a bog standard shimano cable. Works perfectly but it tends to squeal quite a bit which becomes annoying :(

edit: it had more bite when I was running it on my forward brake mount BT forks, my current pace RC32T's are reverse mount, this gave more modulation and probably a bit more hold.

Edited by forteh

v-brake. grind. LGMS up front. extremely bitey. and loud.

i love my vee. great for decent sized up to fronts. im thinking of trying it on a smooth rim to see how good they are then, however living in ecosse has its downsides due to the weather.

grind is pretty light to be honest, although i have done it all over the sidewall. when i first did it i literelly just did it until the paint came off.

For the past 12 months or so I've been running standard Avid black pads on a smooth rim in my front Ultimate (and the rear, for that matter). In the dry it's utterly incredible, as good as any trials brake I've ever run and practically silent too. In the wet, of course, this deteriorates somewhat!

Back when I had my Pure I ran an SD7 with Heatsink reds (in CNC) backings. I had an incredibly light grind that I also sanded back to almost smooth. The brake was rather loud which obviously annoyed me bit the brake was utterly phenomenal!

Im running the lightest possible, bigman originally did it back in oct '08 and Ive refreshed one side of it since to give alittle more bite. What Adam did was spin the wheel as fast as possible (in forks with tyre off) and litterally touched the disk onto the rim for 1/2 a second, the result was a grind mark every 10-12mm, most of the original machined rim wall is still intact (mavic xc717 for reference). Initially it was very bitey but has since worn down a bit and has a little more modulation now.

It works in the wet aswell, although not quite as well as the dry. Using HSB cnc cousts with sd7 arms and lever and a bog standard shimano cable. Works perfectly but it tends to squeal quite a bit which becomes annoying :(

edit: it had more bite when I was running it on my forward brake mount BT forks, my current pace RC32T's are reverse mount, this gave more modulation and probably a bit more hold.

Your bikes the nicest thing ever so it doesn't even matter if your brakes work :P

On another note...Grinds on any form of front brake ? are you insaneeee ? smooth on the front onlyyy.

Plaz crvs or inspired phats on a smooth, you'll never look back. :)

On another note...Grinds on any form of front brake ? are you insaneeee ? smooth on the front onlyyy.

Plaz crvs or inspired phats on a smooth, you'll never look back. :)

I used to agree with that, but now I ride in the wet on the odd occasion I don't. It's nice to have a brake that even slightly works when it sees moisture.

I used to agree with that, but now I ride in the wet on the odd occasion I don't. It's nice to have a brake that even slightly works when it sees moisture.

Its the only reason I got bigman to grind my front rim, was riding lee mill with him and the forecast was showers so I figured it might be a good idea to have a working wet weather brake, never looked back since :)