The Printer Thread

Greetings

Been wondering on many occasions if anyone else thinks printers are the most evil devices ever made or is it just me? I only have to print something once every month but every time I do, I end up with a heart attack and the printer often ends up flying out the window. Been through 4 printers this year and 1 multi device. For instance today I spent half an hour trying to print a small table on the back of about 15 invoices. Half way through the first invoice the printer detected a paper jam which wasn't there and insisted it was still there for the next 15 minutes. To put a long story short, I managed to print 4 invoices in the next quater of an hour and now I'm off to buy a new printer.

I use a printer for this to save me time for gods sake. To avoid having to use a stamp and enter all the fields manually which are all the same.

Hand on heart I almost NEVER manage to print something, there's always a problem of one sort or another. For a few months I couldn't print Word documents in black (just a blank piece of paper came out) but PDF's were fine. So every time I wanted to print something, I had to convert it to PDF first. Seriosuly, f**k these things!!!!

/rant

Whenever i go to print something, my printer usually drags through approximately 392175 sheets of paper when just one would've been fine, then prints part of whatever it is across those 392175 sheets, completely wasting loads of paper and generally pissing me off.

I hate it.

Edited by Skoze

haha, mine developed a habit of printing the negative of whatever you printed, if it was a word document, it'd only print half a page then set off an air raid klaxon to say it was out of black ink (which it never was)

My new one likes printing a blank page halfway through a file, so you have to go back and work out which page it was, and print the selected pages which it will insert another random blank into as well, quite irritating when you're often printing 30-40 page reports for uni or 15 pages of notes for a lecture which is taking place in half hour (and getting into uni took me 20 minutes!)

Buy Cheap, Buy Twice.

Unfortunately it seems that home printing is a technology that has never really been developed because there is no market for quality printers. There are quality printers available on the good half of £1000, but home users tend to pay about £40 - there isn't much room for technological advancement at a £40 a pop level.

We use nothing but HP printers and I can honestly say they're absolutely bullet proof .

These things are marketed to make it look like you're bagging a bargin - but always consider the price of the cartridges. Also remember that now days printers don't come with a USB cable - so the poor unaware sod who buys a PC World printer usually ends up forking out £15 for some gold plated, anti-static, sheilded, 9-million year warranty USB cable when all he needed was a £4 cable from a decent computer shop.

You can print from an iPad if you have the right printer but I also have two other machines at home that I could print from if I needed to.

I love my iPad.

If you hadn't guessed, i love my iPad.

I REALLY REALLY LOVE MY IPAD!!!

I also despise printers. I'm with Inur, I can never remember a time when I just pressed print and that was it.

My main problems are with color streaking even though the ink cartridges are brand new. Usually takes me around a week to just print out what I need. Hate the things.

I use a canon Pixma series (think it's pixma anyway). Always been effortless printing, the canon cartridges aren't the cheapest but they print just as well as the local development company and everytime a new cartidge is inserted it calibrates itself so i don't have to mess about with the silly coloured squares on a sheet game.

Prints onto cd's too which is a bonus, has seperate trays for normal paper and 6x4's and i can usb my DSLR straight into it and print without a pc.

I have a 2 (ish) year old Canon at home. I'm not sure on the model but it's awesome. It's got the scanner and card readers which are really useful and the only problem I ever really have with it is when it tells me it's out of paper. I just tend to lift the paper out and put it back in and it works first time. The cartridges are relitively expensive but there's always a whack load of new on eBay for a bargain. I <3 my printer.

If you're worried about ink cost (who isn't its a rip!) you can buy a CISS (Continuous ink supply system). I have one connected to my Epson and it contains six 250ml containers containing the relevant inks which feeds directly in to the print heads meaning cartridges never need replacing and there's always a good supply of ink, and a direct visual as to your ink levels (compared to the 7-10ml you get in standard cartridges).

To JT the streaking or 'banding' as its known will be down to dirty print heads/nozzles or low levels of ink. You may also have your printer set up badly with a low dpi setting or bad calibration. There is always the chance that you've bought a shitty £30 printer....if you have you can't expect much for that money.

Also people always forget the stock you use has a massive impact on the quality of your final print. Use a shitty, standard uncoated paper and you'll get a crap print.

Edited by Matthew62

I've had many bad experiences in the past. The ink dries up etc, too expensive to replace. In some cases it's actually cheaper to buy a whole new printer as it comes with free cartridges rather than buy the cartridges alone.

I few years ago I bought a £100 Canon printer/scanner/fax etc. and it's never let me down. The genuine Canon cartridges never seem to dry up when you haven't used it for a long time. Worth the investment. It works with my Apple AirPortExpress Base Station too :)

Buy Cheap, Buy Twice.

Theoretically. This was a cheap printer (it is no more) but what if an expensive one pisses you off. It's not a good idea to get emotional over an expensive piece of equipment because you're going to loose a lot of money. I'd dearly like to meet the people responsible for designing these shitboxes and their software and just punch them in the face really hard.

f**k that. They would have 10 printers out before they were even able to print.

They would release one, then a year later, they'll release one that actually does COLOUR :o

Then one that holds 25 pieces of paper, :o

But yet people would still buy it :-

Edited by dann2707

Got an Epson D92 about 4 years ago and it's been spot-on from when I first got it. Really easy to use, the 'troubleshooting' shit on it works really well (e.g. if you get banding 'n' stuff, really easy to clean the nozzles and so on), prints nicely, etc. Just works fine.

My computer's directly connected to the beast printer in work - it's all good ;)

Apple should develop a printer..

And why the f**k would they want to do that... again..

They did it a few years ago, but then realised that when thy can only offer appletalk service and the percentage of people who can use appletalk e.g. mac users (even smaller back in the day) and be able to afford a printer which costs £1,000,000, obviously because it's Apple, and for it to be gash.

Apple answer will be just buy an iPad and show everything you want to show on that.

And yeah, printing is shit. I don't understand why people still do it anyway. It's like fax. WTF and business' still sticking with Windows XP because Windows 7 isn't secure... LOL!

EDIT: f**k me, i went of on a tangent on that one. (tiredness shows)

You can print from an iPad if you have the right printer but I also have two other machines at home that I could print from if I needed to.

I love my iPad.

If you hadn't guessed, i love my iPad.

I REALLY REALLY LOVE MY IPAD!!!

Dude, you are trying waaaay to hard to be me.

Edited by Geek

Got an HP thing which does fax, photo printing, reads memory cards and does decent quality scanning and of course prints. Nothing but good luck with it really as it works with the PCs and the Apples. Think it cost about £130?

Who the f**k wants a printer which reads memory cards, scans, faxes and runs the bath for you?

It's not 1990, pretty much every printer is universal.