New Phone

Mockett

Im rubbish t stuff like this so im hopein that one of you lot would be able to help me, i plan on getting a contract phone and would like it to be able to ring text e-mail take photos ect all the standard things you would expect. not realy up for any old crappy phones but am at the same time not a fan of i-phone (not the phones just the people i personally associate them with). real reviews from real people would be nice. Ive been told to get a blackberry by my girlfriend so i can "bbm" her but i dont reli care about that to be honest.

all help is good help, and rememberer im a student so nothing ridiculous

pic unrelated but i find it funny so meh.

post-21020-0-04338900-1292960023_thumb.j

Have a look into HTCs Ive got the touch pro 2,

While it is a brick of a phone it works fantastical. Sensitive touch screen, slide out keyboard, good for watching videos on.

Youtube works well on it too.

One downside to this phone is that it has a windows operating system which is just awful.

I've just got myself an HTC Wildfire and am really happy with it- ~£150 or so and I prefer it to my GF's £320 Nokia N8. Easier to use, more tactile, more apps, less glitchy and just overall nicer!

I've gone with Giffgaff as a service provider which I'm also really happy with so far- kind of pay as you go but you also buy 'goodybags' which can be added to give extras. I've stuck £5 credit on and bought a £10 goodybag which gives me 250 free minutes and (truly) unlimited data and text messages so in theory I'm kind of on a £10 per month rolling contract with full on unlimited web and texts which is spot on for me.

I went for a Samsung Galaxy S recently on Orange, £30 a month, no down payment. Only downside is the 3G coverage is pretty wank. Phone itself has one or two flaws, but nothing bad. I kinda wish I'd gone for the iPhone, but it was £15 a month more expensive with a big down payment at the beginning.

EDIT: I wouldn't get the Desire or Desire HD. The screens are pretty low quality, and my Mum's bloke has had nothing but trouble with his Desire.

Edited by Muel

rememberer im a student so nothing ridiculous

See to me that says something which is value for money and seeing as my cheepo Wildfire does everything that any of the others do but at less than half the price just seems to make sense, depends of course what you consider to be cheap/expensive- I see a 24 month contract at £30 to be pretty expensive over the course of the deal.

I went for a Samsung Galaxy S recently on Orange, £30 a month, no down payment. Only downside is the 3G coverage is pretty wank. Phone itself has one or two flaws, but nothing bad. I kinda wish I'd gone for the iPhone, but it was £15 a month more expensive with a big down payment at the beginning.

EDIT: I wouldn't get the Desire or Desire HD. The screens are pretty low quality, and my Mum's bloke has had nothing but trouble with his Desire.

what downfalls you found? Ive had mine for 4 months now and its pure win

On the Galaxy S? Mainly just 3rd party apps, like the Opera web browser not supporting jQTouch.

But the task manager really annoys me. You can view currently running apps and end them, but to maximise them you have to hold the middle button to bring up another menu.

On the Galaxy S? Mainly just 3rd party apps, like the Opera web browser not supporting jQTouch.

But the task manager really annoys me. You can view currently running apps and end them, but to maximise them you have to hold the middle button to bring up another menu.

why do you want to use opera? the standard browser is perfectly fine. Opera browser is only decent on old touch phone such as samsung toco etc It really isnt cut out for new age smartphones.

You hold the middle button to bring up currently running apps yes... but I dont get what other method you were expecting?

By the way you do not need to kill apps using the task manager.. linux os manages all of that for you. If apps are not being used or more memory is required it will kill the apps for you. On a note to this, please for the love of god dont go downloading advanced task killer, under the impression it will stop all the apps loading and using your battery. The whole point of the OS is that it doesnt use the battery if the app isnt being used. Exactly the same as wifi/gps.

Are you using froyo (2.2 build)?

I can honestly say the galaxy s out performs the iphone at the moment. You would have to be clinically retarded to pay for the contracts to get an iphone.

I bought my galaxy s outright off ebay, unlocked etc with no branding. I pay £20 a month for 700 minutes unlimited net, unlimited texts with 02 simplicity 30 day rolling contract.

Edited by munkee

I've used them both, Opera is much faster than the standard browser, has the speed dial feature amongst others which are mad useful.

I would ideally want to do away with the pressing of the middle button to load current apps, and just have them clickable from the task manager.

I understand how the OS works, I run a LAMP server locally for web development. Not the same but the basics of the Linux kernal are pretty similar.

No I'm using 2.1.

I've compared the Galaxy S to an iPhone 3GS with iOS4 and I'd much rather have the iPhone, while the Galaxy S is thinner and lighter, it seems to get bogged down a lot more often.

I've used them both, Opera is much faster than the standard browser, has the speed dial feature amongst others which are mad useful.

I would ideally want to do away with the pressing of the middle button to load current apps, and just have them clickable from the task manager.

I understand how the OS works, I run a LAMP server locally for web development. Not the same but the basics of the Linux kernal are pretty similar.

No I'm using 2.1.

I've compared the Galaxy S to an iPhone 3GS with iOS4 and I'd much rather have the iPhone, while the Galaxy S is thinner and lighter, it seems to get bogged down a lot more often.

flash 2.2 firmware and come back. 2.1 firmware had lag which was fixed in the new firmware <3 open source

Edited by munkee

I had a Blackberry Storm for a year or so, then thought I'd upgrade to an iphone, biggest mistake I made.

I know it's personal preference but Blackberrys are where I'm staying, you get instant emails where as the iphone it's pushed every 15 mins.

Iphones are over rated, Blackberry all the way (Y)

mums got a galaxy s, ive got a desire, id say the opposite, the screens are about the same, only issue I have with the desire is the battery life, but thats cos i tan angry birds and doodle jump on the crapper at work.

if you cant wait 15 minutes to get an email, then i pity you, i check mine like once a day.

mums got a galaxy s, ive got a desire, id say the opposite, the screens are about the same, only issue I have with the desire is the battery life, but thats cos i tan angry birds and doodle jump on the crapper at work.

if you cant wait 15 minutes to get an email, then i pity you, i check mine like once a day.

I like to have them instantly, if you're waiting for a response you have t keep checking the inbox manually.

And as stated, personal preference. Pretty sure most people could wait 15 mins.