Piranha '11

Greetings

That´s what they say...But do you know about somebody who had used just one halflink and snapped a chain because of it? I don´t. With full halflink chain you have like what,100-150links,so basically there´s 150times higher possibility you will snap one faulty link.Just my 2cents.Even if you snap it after time,it´s still better than ride a bike with wrong gearing or buy a new frame after 1ride.

Yeah, me....Twice. Ran a Shadow half link in a Z610 and it snapped in 2 weeks (the half link). Then ran a "Try-All" half link which is stronger looking and the same as supplied with these frames in a z610 and it snapped within a month. The half link sheared in half so not from dodgy joining.

Agreed, if you change the half link every couple of weeks then you should be ok, but f**k me no way in hell i'd run one again. Its a shame Deng seems to have forgotten how to design chainstay lengths in the last 2 years.

does any one run 18:16 with this frame,im looking at getting one and really want to know if 18:16 works,

And this from the post above yours...

If you're stubborn you can still ride 18:15 on a normal chain but the hub rests on the very edge of the dropouts. Still in full contact, but looks dodgy. 18:16 is a bit better.

Since I'm going over to FFW and that means a completely new rear wheel, I've asked my friend to make one last modification to the rim. This is the result:

img3489m.jpg

We're both pretty sure that this will not last at all but it doesn't have to. Will probably only ride this wheel once on my trials bike, then it's going to go on an urban bike. Got some 2.0/1.5/2.0 spokes too so it should be pretty light. Off to build it up.

• 3 weeks later...

Made some changes, thought I'd post them up.

Modified rim, Revolution spokes, 17:15 gear ratio, Trialtech SL single speed spacer and a new Rubber Queen tyre:

img3519d.jpg

New brake pad refills, best I've ever run. Beat Coustsinks hand down:

img3520e.jpg

And Trialtech High Riser bars + some headset spacers to bring the bars up and backwards:

img3524q.jpg

Currently 8.38kg. Going to leave it at that, maybe try a Pure '11 frame in a few weeks.

that is one of best looking bikes i have ever seen....

rear wheel looks sexy, and i think it will also last for solid period of time ( you earlyer said that it will probably wont last long)

i also have that red heatsink pads, but i haven,t tried them

Where is the booster positioned on the brake??

Edit ahh just seen the close up you have it between the clamps.. I need to do the same with a tryall booster but i have echo clamps with the metal shim on my echo brake and i don't think it will hold the cylinder very well. You had any problem with yours moving about? Might have to invest in some of them tnn clamps.

2nd edit realised thats how the tnns are meant to be run hmm.

Edited by Jake-Ansell

These aren't Heatsink refills, they are made by a fellow rider. I think he sells them through ebay, they're dirty cheap. This is the soft compound, there's also a hard one which I'll try on the front wheel.

The rim is over 2 years old now and was CNC milled down to 630g since day one. Had a few grinds too, all together it's been through quite a lot of riding. That's why I'm not expecting much but I'm still amazed at how it's holding up.

About the booster moving around, yes the top bolts have to be really tight to clamp it properly. So ideally one should tighten the top bolts first to maximize stiffness and reduce the chance of over tightening / bending the clamps which are made of a really soft alloy.

big off topic now and i am sorry for that but...

you are from poland? do you maybe knov Lukas Doton? i am asking becouse i am from Croatia and i met Lukas at bike trial camp im croatia last year ( Camp was organised by Stefan Pcola from slovakia)

• 4 weeks later...

Since I've updated this a million times, I'll do it once more:

img3604o.jpg

img3605.jpg

img3606.jpg

Rear wheel is dying on me which was to be expected. Changed the cranks to 160mm today to see if I can cope with that length on the current gear ratio, also back to platforms because cages sucked.