Piranha '11

Greetings

Built this up yesterday because the frame was pretty much redundant due to severe transport damage. Had an ordeal with gear ratios since the frame is designed in such a way that you cannot run any sensible gear ratio with an 18T sprocket or freewheel up front and a single link chain. You need to use a half link.

Currently running 17:14 which will probably be ok for the time being. Massive leap for me, I've been running 18:17 and 17:16 for over 4 years on 158mm cranks. Now on 175mm.

Frame feels very nice, it's pretty long but feels quite lively. Can't wait to give it a ride but with the amount of snow outside this isn't going to happen soon. Chain tensioning system is amazing too. Weight is temporary as is half of the spec, if I decide to stick with this frame I should get the bike down to around 7.9 before spring.

img3438jb.jpg

img3439y.jpg

img3441b.jpg

img3442c.jpg

img3443r.jpg

img3444a.jpg

img3445ia.jpg

img3446o.jpg

img3447c.jpg

I think that 18:14 would be possible on a normal chain but you'd probably have to split the chain to remove the wheel. I can't imagine it getting loose enough to remove by hand.

TNN booster works really well it's very compact and protects the hose too. Definitely a worthwhile investment. The SL brakes are amazing. Been running them for around half a year now. Currently using an old leaking TR lever on the rear brake because I had to sell the SL lever.

As for the funbolts I had to file the caps down roughly 2mm so they clear the dropout.

What pads are those and how have you found the Echo brakes?

Looks awesome, much prefer that to any other Zoo! frame

Think the fronts are heatsink yellows with normal plastic backings, and the rear are coutsinks. Do you mean the axle bolts were too thick to even go into the dropout o.O? And how come you couldnt run 18/15? Could you not just take out a link if its too long or put one in if its too short? Or are the dropouts just retardedly designed?

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't know this thread was still going. Did a few changes to it and rode it for the first time. While the frame is absolutely superb I'm struggling with the gear ratio a bit. Used to ride 18:17/17:16 for 5 years so 17:14 is a pretty big leap. Got all my run up distances mixed up and I'm not used to putting any power down. With a light ratio you rely solely on speed, not strength.

121f9449093a4919aadc8ba.jpg

843049029ab6435f83d0ac7.jpg

bc8f40e3ae51478da2b3e06.jpg

77d68181693d45e2b1813b3.jpg

51064bb5257943e280b034f.jpg

6939071b01b345e8b977513.jpg

I'd rather stop riding trials altogether than get a half link chain :P And since I want to go FFW, I'm going to pursue the idea of building up an Ozonys. The Zoo might be lovely geometry wise but a half link is a massive no no.

Out of interest, are those heatsink yellow CNC backings?

Um the backings originally came with HSB yellows, yes.

I'd rather stop riding trials altogether than get a half link chain :P And since I want to go FFW, I'm going to pursue the idea of building up an Ozonys. The Zoo might be lovely geometry wise but a half link is a massive no no.

Um the backings originally came with HSB yellows, yes.

Actually just one half link isn´t going to make the chain any weaker in my experience.or try 18:16,that´s very good ratio and more simillar to that you used to use.

Actually just one half link isn´t going to make the chain any weaker in my experience.or try 18:16,that´s very good ratio and more simillar to that you used to use.

Uhhh.... You could have the strongest chain in the world with a shitty halflink, you know where its gonna snap? Shitty half link. Chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

My experience of halflinks are terrible. I've snapped 2 clean in half, one lasted 2 weeks one lasted a month. Never snapped any KMC Z610s so not as if I ride like a spaz or whatever.

That´s what they say...But do you know about somebody who had used just one halflink and snapped a chain because of it? I don´t. With full halflink chain you have like what,100-150links,so basically there´s 150times higher possibility you will snap one faulty link.Just my 2cents.Even if you snap it after time,it´s still better than ride a bike with wrong gearing or buy a new frame after 1ride.