Best Spots To Ride In The Uk

sdm 11

Swansea seems an odd choice. Was never really that into it when I went there a couple of times, and having ridden places like Bristol, London, etc. it sort of slipped further down the pecking order...

Anyway, best street would probably be:

North London

East London

South London

West London

Bristol

Best natural would probably be:

Somewhere not windy, cold or wet

Swansea seems an odd choice. Was never really that into it when I went there a couple of times, and having ridden places like Bristol, London, etc. it sort of slipped further down the pecking order...

Anyway, best street would probably be:

North London

East London

South London

West London

So.. London then :P

Barrow Farm, Essex.

Hook Woods, Surrey.

Ah but we know where to go........ ;)

anyway, megabump???

I rode reasonable amounts of it and it didn't seem that great. I'm sure it's probably got hidden gems somewhere, but I still don't really think it's that great compared to a lot of places. The town itself was just f**king weird too, which was kind of off-putting. Same way I don't really like riding Edinburgh in the slightest 'cos I hated the whole vibe of the place, whereas Glasgow - even though it's a bit more grim than Edinburgh - is actually one of my favourite places to ride. Some awesome stuff up there, and I'd totally forgotten about it 'til just now :P

Yes Swansea is very grim, it's probably worse than how you remember it also.

I moved out 6 years ago and it has gone right downhill badly since then even.

I also agree with your Glasgow/Edinburgh thing. I haven't been riding in either but have been to both quite a lot.

Glasgow was much cooler by miles, the people too.

Same way I don't really like riding Edinburgh in the slightest 'cos I hated the whole vibe of the place, whereas Glasgow - even though it's a bit more grim than Edinburgh - is actually one of my favourite places to ride. Some awesome stuff up there, and I'd totally forgotten about it 'til just now :P

I also agree with your Glasgow/Edinburgh thing. I haven't been riding in either but have been to both quite a lot.

Glasgow was much cooler by miles, the people too.

Cheers for the Edinburgh bashing...

I'd agree that there isn't a whole lot to ride in Edinburgh so in that respect Glasgow is far better.

I suppose as I've lived in Edinburgh my whole life I don't notice the whole 'vibe' thing, care to explain? (Thought I'd just point out that I'm not annoyed - just trying to understand!)

Edited by AndrewEH1

whereas Glasgow - even though it's a bit more grim than Edinburgh - is actually one of my favourite places to ride. Some awesome stuff up there, and I'd totally forgotten about it 'til just now :P

Do you have any footage of yourselves riding Glasgow? Always interests me to see local spots.

Edit: Just watched 'Clean - Scotland'. Awesome.

Andrew, only issue I found with edinburgh is the amount of tourists! I like it otherwise.

Edited by Pete.M

Cheers for the Edinburgh bashing...

I'd agree that there isn't a whole lot to ride in Edinburgh so in that respect Glasgow is far better.

I suppose as I've lived in Edinburgh my whole life I don't notice the whole 'vibe' thing, care to explain? (Thought I'd just point out that I'm not annoyed - just trying to understand!)

I'm curious about this apparent 'vibe' in Edinburgh also? As someone who has just moved to Edinburgh from Central London i'm not sure I understand the comments? If by vibe, you mean friendlier, more understanding to cyclists and generally more accepting of what you're doing then maybe so, but other than that I'm not sure what's meant by it?

Granted it's not the most amazing place to ride in the world, but with Glasgow a very short car ride away it's not the end of the world, especially if you add the fact that there's some actual proper mountain biking up here.

• Like 1

I'm curious about this apparent 'vibe' in Edinburgh also? As someone who has just moved to Edinburgh from Central London i'm not sure I understand the comments? If by vibe, you mean friendlier, more understanding to cyclists and generally more accepting of what you're doing then maybe so, but other than that I'm not sure what's meant by it?

Granted it's not the most amazing place to ride in the world, but with Glasgow a very short car ride away it's not the end of the world, especially if you add the fact that there's some actual proper mountain biking up here.

Settled for guests yet? ;)

The tourism thing sort of annoyed me quite a lot because at least in London it's relatively easy to escape that sort of thing (in my experience), but it seemed more difficult in Edinburgh. I just didn't really like the feel of the place. I can't really put my finger on why, but it just seemed... 'weird', somehow.

Yea, should only be a week or so till that's done so I'll give you a shout and get on a train soon (Y)

Cool man, I look forward to it. I reckon you'd be better off flying, it's a fair bit quicker and often cheaper (depending on when you book etc). Whenever you come we can drive over to Glasgow as well to check it out, as it's meant to be goouuud.

It's interesting how territorial people get...

There's nothing territorial about it, I don't feel an ownership over any particular area what so ever. I've never spoken to you so cannot comment on your real persona, but I can assure you, if you had the slightest awareness of mine, being territorial is something I'd never be accused of.

I could equally reply with something equally inaccurate about yourself being territorial in the not at all surprising inevitability that you'd reply to a comment to/for Ali. But I won't, because that is unfair as I don't know you.

My comment was simply an equally unimaginative, not particularly accurate or funny reply...however its interpretation is up for grabs. You could have chosen to have taken it as a light-hearted remark in retort to Ali's comment, or you could have chosen to take it as venomous... an attack perhaps... which could link back to a sense of being territorial over Ali. But again, that's unfair, as I don't know you.