Rainbird's New Ride

Luke Rainbird

Been back on big wheels for a few months now and after playing around with a couple of frames to get an idea of what geometry would suit me, I picked this up at a price I couldn't refuse:

boxxq.png

Apologies for the slightly iffy pics!

Will throw a spec up if anyone is particularly fussed, but it's a fairly 'normal' build really.

I've not made any real effort to build it to a certain weight, or to be superlight, but it comes out at a comfortable 9.8kg (Y)

Massive thanks to Craig Taylor & Andrei Burton for hooking me up with frames to try out, to Alex Dark for a dab of weld on a hairline crack that was forming on the BB yoke and to all the guys I've ridden with lately that have made me confident that a change from the 24"s I've been riding for the past few years was the right move!

picked this up at a price I couldn't refuse:

Buy it from Hendrix for what it owed him?

Looks fresh though mate, reeeeeeeeeeeeeally jealous even though it's all wrong.

Ps;

all the guys I've ridden with lately that have made me confident that a change from the 24"s I've been riding for the past few years was the right move!

Gay. Er.

Edited by Skoze

Cheers guys.

The crack was minute, a tiny little hairline jobby so Alex has thrown a little weld over it to help slow its death. For what I paid for the frame though, even if it dies after a month or two I'll have got my money's worth. Hell, the 2 rides I've had on it so far have been so much fun it's pretty much worth it already! :P

Westlake: If I could afford to have kept the 24" as well I'd still have it, but Plymouth got pretty weak for it so I figured I'd keep things fresh rather than bailing from the scene altogether. As it stands I can't afford to eat let alone to build a silly french bike, but if I can swing a few things and sell some shit then there's every possibility of getting a toy built up again for the summer or something.

Wood: Rim is still dead, but managed to remove most of the flats etc and it's running true. Got a single-wall "standard" TryAll rim to throw on at some point but may as well kill this one off properly first! Bike feels lush to ride, really comfortable on it. It's so drastically different to the 24"s that I'm going about everything in a totally different way, so I don't end up drawing comparisons between the two. Just need to learn to ride the thing now...

Id say it were a fail, but I cant ever imagine you pinching inches on it so fairs fair I suppose...

Did one of those sidehop things the other day. Weird shit...

How many of these frames did Koxx make, assuming it was a limited production run?

No idea. Not a huge number, presumably, but there were a fair few French riders on them so the number can't have been tiny. This is #13 (uh oh...)

Ah, I want one of those frames so bad!!

How much you offering?! :P

Shiiiiiiit that looks good! Nice to see you actually got it welded/built in the end! Will have to come down again soon for sure!

Yeah man, it's sick! Be cool to see you down here again if you can make it, else we'll have to swing up to your neck of the woods at some point :)

Cheers for all the comments boyos