Tarty Days 2011

AdamR28

Out of interest, how much extra would it cost to run it as a standalone event? I think people would pay a lot more to not have security breathing down our necks, at an event where its just trials riders, where we get the one controlled fire and are allowed to make just a little noise!

Out of interest, how much extra would it cost to run it as a standalone event?

Quick tot up, £10k - unless you can find a whole team (6-8) of very reliable and organised people who can work for a week or so for free, in which case maybe £6-7k.

How comes ads?

Mick wants to remain impartial, and not be seen to 'be in bed with' any one company/brand, which is fair play.

Quick tot up, £10k - unless you can find a whole team (6-8) of very reliable and organised people who can work for a week or so for free, in which case maybe £6-7k.

Perfectly do-able/ affordable provided someone has 10k which could possibly not all come back. But i don't see why it wouldn't as even a small arena like at the w/e gave a load of fun!

Perfectly do-able/ affordable provided someone has 10k which could possibly not all come back.

I'll start a thread now then, I'm sure everyone will be jumping to the front of the queue to throw away £10k!

Sorry, weird mood today ^_^ Something like this seems very easy to run, but it's far from it. Outside sponsorship - not attractive enough.

I'll start a thread now then, I'm sure everyone will be jumping to the front of the queue to throw away £10k!

Sorry, weird mood today ^_^ Something like this seems very easy to run, but it's far from it.

Unfortunately it costs a fortune and miles of red tape/paperwork to host an event these days :(

Sad to hear that youre not planning on repeating the event, although after some of the negatives over the weekend its completely understandable.

Perhaps something at bracken could be organised? Does the owner have a field that could be used for camping? Just a suggestion as I know alot of trials events are run there anyways :)

Closer for me aswell ;)

Does the owner have a field that could be used for camping? Perhaps something at bracken could be organised?

Yes.

Thought about there, discounted it on the grounds of: Insurance, toilets, showers, parking, still have to build obstacles. Tech 04 worked well I thought but it was a smaller event.

Taking payment for the event in advance like was done for the first Tartydays would at least give an idea whether the event can break even before the money is paid for the event facilities. Maybe find a serviced campsite near a good trials area and get a group deal for that. Once people are close enough to the trials spot and the campsite rules are followed it could be a goer with a lot less organising headaches.

Somewhere coastal with rocks and street stuff could work well provided there aren't too many people on the urban stuff. There are a couple of places in Ireland that could fit the bill for this, so there must be plenty in the UK...

Handing over the camping to a 3rd party and pre-booking only would certainly remove some of the headaches we faced this time, yes. Although, pre-booking had it's own headaches - a properly run 'pay on the day' system would be better from experience, we were let down pretty badly in that respect.

Breaking even isn't a possibility with an event like this, unless you try and charge people what I would class as an unfair amount.

Thought about there, discounted it on the grounds of: Insurance, toilets, showers, parking, still have to build obstacles. Tech 04 worked well I thought but it was a smaller event.

Insurance is an obvious requirement although I would have thought the bloke who owns it would have something in place that you could probably pay towards/pay into. Toilets are expensive unfortunately, showers are a nice addition although not really essential, parking would be on the campsite/field and obstacles would generally be bracken rocks :)

Of course Im not trying to rubbish your reasons for discounting the venue, do none of the mototrials comps there not span multiple days?

One of the things that I thought was cool this year (and from what I heard from other riders) was the mix of streety stuff (the flatbank/jump setup) and the more trialsy stuff. It allowed a better mix, I felt. Something I don't think you'd really get somewhere like Bracken.

Insurance is an obvious requirement although I would have thought the bloke who owns it would have something in place that you could probably pay towards/pay into. Toilets are expensive unfortunately, showers are a nice addition although not really essential, parking would be on the campsite/field and obstacles would generally be bracken rocks :)

Of course Im not trying to rubbish your reasons for discounting the venue, do none of the mototrials comps there not span multiple days?

I understand. I don't think there's enough space at Bracken for camping and cars for ~150 people - fair bit of other camping close by though probably.

Quite possibly, but I would have thought people would be camping/caravanning/motorhoming elsewhere between the two/three days - half the fun seems to come from blowing stuff up and getting lashed which is fair enough!

One of the things that I thought was cool this year (and from what I heard from other riders) was the mix of streety stuff (the flatbank/jump setup) and the more trialsy stuff. It allowed a better mix, I felt. Something I don't think you'd really get somewhere like Bracken.

You could to an extent, I guess. But it would eat into parking space which is limited already.

Head is working overtime now... I guess something a bit like the Clean ride *could* work at Bracken, basically just a coincidence that a load of people turn up at the same place at the same time to ride, without it being connected to anyone in particular. Couldn't build any ramps etc though. That would just be a group ride though. Meh. See how we feel in 6 months, hah.

That is very true, hadnt considered that aspect, bracken is largely on the side of a big hill :D

I understand. I don't think there's enough space at Bracken for camping and cars for ~150 people.

Quite possibly, but I would have thought people would be camping/caravanning/motorhoming elsewhere between the dates - half the fun seems to come from blowing stuff up and getting lashed which is fair enough!

You would have to limit numbers unfortunately :(

Personally I dont get the blowing stuff up, having a fire and getting lashed is great, perhaps Ive grown out of the explosions phase :D

Still wished I didnt drink as much on the sunday night, prevented me riding at all on monday and was still hungover on the drive home :(

I think the best thing to do is let the dust settle from this weekend and let the guys enjoy the summer and then see if its a do- able thing later in the year. There is plenty of things coming up to get excitd about ( clean, Fort bill , that team comp thing at brimham) unfortunatley the joy of lads with beer and booze is not a great mix( i have been in way worse situations than a few wee explosions :P) , respect goes out of the window and what not...

As i say let the dust settle give the guys a chance to enjoy ther bikes/ summer and see what 2012 has in store.

Kenny

Ummm I might know somewhere you could hold this event, loads of parking/camping and have a good lot of natural riding there. Plus you could put loads of pallets in. They hold moto trials there and last time I spoke to the owner/organiser he was keen on sorting out a bike trials comp. Like what has been said before let the dust settle, but if your interested let me know and I'll speak to the guy.

Considered that, Barrow Farm is out of the question and there is nowhere else suitable (in my opinion).

Whys Barrow out the question? Because of "radfest"?

Mick seems keen to have people camp and ride there so wouldn't be too difficult?

Ummm I might know somewhere you could hold this event, loads of parking/camping and have a good lot of natural riding there. Plus you could put loads of pallets in. They hold moto trials there and last time I spoke to the owner/organiser he was keen on sorting out a bike trials comp. Like what has been said before let the dust settle, but if your interested let me know and I'll speak to the guy.

Bransgore?

'tis a mighty shame to hear that, I thoroughly enjoyed the day or so I was there, thanks for all your efforts which I'm sure were tough.

With regards to future holding a could get the ball rolling to get hold of a more than ideal piece of land. The owner is a friend of mine who is a keen moto trialer and sponsorer to riders in the sport. A couple of months ago there was a British round held there and I do believe he plans on running a world round in the future, so there is some cool natural stuff. It's on the outskirts of Sheffield and has very easy access from the m1. Every year the Barnsley trial club hold a weekender there of similar format to tartydays and there is always an arena trial held with similar things to that sort that was in the trials arena. I could keep trying to sell it to you but I reckon you've probably heard enough about tartydays for the time being :P If in time it does interest you don't hesitate to get to get in touch and I'd do my upmost to help :)

bransgore would work pretty well actually, and i very much doubt they would care about fires as long as they are contained. but its very southern, not really great when alot of riders are northern monkeys :P i do know a pretty good place in the midlands, but i doubt they would be too enthusiastic about an event for bike trials.

Bransgore?

No it's at seymours arena in didcot they hold the north Berks super trial there every year and it's Alexz wiggs training ground. you can ride there every Wednesday evening.

Search " north Berks seymours arena " in YouTube for sine video's

I couldnt make it (Car f**ked, bike f**ked, story of my live). :(

From the original pictures, the arena looked shit, but it doesnt look half bad from the new pics :P

Kinda glad i didnt go though, i heard a few bad stories bout this year :/

People getting kicked out for having fun? The whole fun of last year was simpson f**king up his own car, and people letting their hair down at the end of the day

People getting kicked out for having fun? The whole fun of last year was simpson f**king up his own car, and people letting their hair down at the end of the day

I think it was just that the TartyDays camp site had been moved to relatively close to owner's house, so when there were explosions going off at 1-2am I think they might've been not super keen. It obviously sucks that some people got kicked out (especially you Simps ({)), but I don't think it overshadowed everything for people who got to stay, if that makes sense. Hopefully that doesn't come across sounding wrong...