Newbie Knowledge (Back To Basics)

Mark W

Sizes

20" wheeled bikes: Good for proper hopping around. More orientated towards "comps".

26" wheeled bikes: Good for rolling stuff. More orientated towards "street".

Bikes

20": Onza T-Pro 2004. £399. Top quality frame with some excellent components slapped on. Good frame for upgrading around.

26": Onza T-Raptor 2004. £399 - £499. Again, good quality frame and some really good parts on it.

Also look at: Monty.

Frames

26":

Koxx Levelboss 1065 - £400-ish. Top frame. Bit expensive for beginning on, but it'll be the only frame you'll ever need.

Monty Urban - £142. Great frame, costs nowt.

20":

Echo Team - £390-ish. Amazing frame. It's just damn good.

T-Pro 2004 - Same as Team, but £170 cheaper.

Brakes

Simplest option: Magura HS33 rim brakes. £85-odd from chainreactioncycles.com. They're probably the best brakes you can buy that you can slap on and have a noticeable performance gain. Discs are OK, but break frames and V-brakes are OK but not 'enough' for some riders.

Best pads: X-Hydra pads (see cleanbikes.co.uk) £17.50 for 4 or Koxx Bloxx (see koxx.co.uk) at £18.50 for 2.

Best booster: Hard to say. Possibly Carbonique (carbonique.co.uk), maybe the Echo ones (ez-trials.co.uk)...or the RB Designs 4-bolt booster or the Onza carbon booster (supercycles.co.uk).

(Edit by tomturd: brake booster topics\advice can be found here -

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/index.php?sh...5959&hl=booster

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/index.php?sh...6046&hl=booster

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/index.php?sh...5929&hl=booster

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/index.php?sh...5442&hl=booster

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/index.php?sh...5210&hl=booster )

Wheels

26" rims:

Mavic D521 for street (rear rim). Generic AlexRims rim for natural due to better tyre profile (rear). For front, it varies. Check out sites such as ez-trials.co.uk, koxx.co.uk, supercycles.co.uk or mavic.com and pick and choose the rim that suits your weight preference/wallet size.

20" rims:

Echo rims. Pretty good :-

Alex DX-32. The generic mod rim. Not a whole load wrong, plus pretty cheap too.

26" hubs:

Front - Hope XC or Mono (disc or non-disc respectively).

Rear - Hope XC or CK hub. Latter is a super expensive option, probably best going for XC as it's the best engagement/strength compromise.

20" hubs:

They're mostly the same.

Rear - Quando hub, cleanbikes.co.uk

Front - Maybe Hope Mono or XC, or just the best front hub you can afford on cleanbikes.co.uk.

Bar and stem

For cheap, low-cost affairs that work pretty well check out the Onza bar and stems on onza.com.

Cranks

Middleburns for 26". You'll probably not have to buy a (full-price) new set of cranks again. They're worth the extra money. Expect to pay around £140-160 for ISIS version.

Echo front freewheels cranks for 20". ez-trials.co.uk.

Alternatives: Tensile cranks. Great value for money, strong, light enough and come with the integrated screw-on bashring/chainring. For more info, see onza.com and the reviews section of trialsride.com.

Pedals

DMR V8's. Chainreactioncycles.com. £24.99.

Onza VP's. onza.com £12 (not incl. p&p).

Gloves

Hebo Trial Teams gloves. £18-ish. bvm-moto.co.uk. Great gloves, last for eternity, non-stitched palm so they don't bunch up.

Armour

661 Veggie Wrap Shins. £24.99. Chainreactioncycles.com. Good pads. Don't get too hot and provide good enough protection.

Helmets

Try as many on as possible. Just go around every bike shop you can and try different ones on. www.giro.com. www.met.com. www.bell-helmets.com. Popular model: Giro Semi-MX. £45.

Feel free to add to this.

This was written as a newbie sorta thing, and most nooooooooooobs aren't going to have nearly half a grand kicking about the place looking lonely to spend on a CK hub. Well, they could get *ahem* someone to pay for them, but if they do that then it doesn't matter...

We'll just ignore them in a sea of envy :-

Mark.

• 3 weeks later...

yes, beginners, go for pin pedals,

like, DMR v8.. £25.. or something simular..

I started with cages.. there not that comfy on the foot as there quite skinny.. and theres more surface area making them less grippy on the foot.

they also snap :- as mine and many others I have seen done.

• 4 weeks later...
Beginers looking to build up a bike from scratch, check  out the identiti the jufge frame! strong not heavy but not light 5.1 lbs, but damm strong.  :thumbsup:

It's a short frame though and some people don't like that. As a comparison of weight it's only really 0.3lbs more than a Koxx. I love mine but it's not to everyones taste.

Joe.

• 3 weeks later...

FRAME:

A great frame in my opinion, to start riding on, is a Saracen X-cess 2001...the old style frame.

its quite short, and with short forks (fattys) the BB has dropped a bit, but when compared to some bikes it feels agile and light.

for example:

My brother got ripped off on a 'DaBomb XLR8R' which he was sold as a trials bike (that shop is so s***, Wheelbase, Stavely :unsure: ), while I spent £15 on a 2nd hand X-cess frame and mine felt 100% better than his. His was heavy and sluggish.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Frames:

Stock: Onza T-Rex 2 is an excellent frame, 1080 wheelbase (depending on forks), Nearly half the price of a Koxx, and similar if not better performance. Can be purchased from Tartybikes

Mod: The T-pro is still one of the best around.

Brake pads:

HS33 - Heatsink pads work really well, Tarty pads are supposed to be good (available from Tarty bikes) and Rimjams have had mixed reviews.

V brake: Plazmatic CRV's are good on both a grind or a smooth rim, Spanish Flies work best on a grind.

Tyres:

Maxxis tyres seem to be the best out there at the moment. They're also pretty cheap. Have a look on Chainreaction for them - Make sure you get a 'Dual Ply' rear tyre and a 'Single ply' front one. Also, try and get them in the Maxxpro 60a compound, this is harder then the others and will not wear out as fast :D

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...
i think a mod needs to go through this thread, some of the info's a bit dated. :ermm: .

Two years later and its looking even more dated...

I still found this thread useful, I don't know if the info here is sound or not, it would be cool if someone could redo it with up to date info.

• 2 years later...

QUOTE (mat hudson @ Jan 3 2006, 10:15 PM) i think a mod needs to go through this thread, some of the info's a bit dated. erm.gif .

Two years later and its looking even more dated...

I still found this thread useful, I don't know if the info here is sound or not, it would be cool if someone could redo it with up to date info.

Still in need of an update, the 26" hub and rim advice is what we were doing in the late 90's FFS!

• 4 weeks later...

Sizes

20" wheeled bikes: Good for proper trials mostly duel disc

24'' wheeled bikes: Good for streety riding spins etc. be like danny mac

26" wheeled bikes Also used for proper trials.

Bikes

20": Onza Pro 2010. £489. Good quailty frame with good components great bike to start on also easy to upgrade.

24'' Inspired fourplay. From £969. Amazing frame with very good spec'd components.

26": Echo pure 2010. From £849. Realy good frame with a low cost very good spec'd.

Frames

26":

Ozonys cannibal From £539. Top end frame.

Speedrace Fans £350. average price. strong frame.

20":

Onza limey 320 £400. Realy good quality frame, cant go wrong.

Because simple £200 also realy good quality.

Brakes

MAgura hs33. most people have them on rear amazing brakes with a large variety of pads around.

Vee also very popular on front also on rear. Pads are appearing for vee but these are very good. Can be as powerful as maguras.

Disc these are very popular on mods also as a front brake. good if your a light smooth rider(unlike me im a fat fook)

Wheels

26" rims:

Echo urban (rear) if your a basher grinds amazingly and will last forever

Onza pro diamond. Also i good rim but alot lighter

Front:

Echo urban agian if your a basher and want a rim that will last.

Trialtech Sl Lighter then the echo alos very good rim

24'' rims

inspired rim has had input from danny mac. cant go wrong

atomlab rims are also very popular

20" rims:

Echo urban agian a solid rim will last

Onza pro diamond agian nice strong rim just lighter then echo

26" hubs:

Front - rockman bub- echo sl (disc or non-disc respectively).

Rear - Hope Pro2 trials or CK hub. Could go down ffw way and have tryall H hub on back

20" hubs:

They're mostly the same.

Rear - tryall H hub or could go freehub (chris king or profile)

Front - rockman bub- echo sl (disc or non-disc respectively).

Bar and stem

Trialtech bars (sport version ) truely amazing.

stem depends on bike cant go wrong with trialtech or tryall.

Cranks

Middleburns amazing if you keep that set up youl never need another set of cranks.

Could have screw on cranks if so tryall are perfect.

echo sl freewheel is made of pure win.

or the tensile 96click.

Pedals

DMR V8's. Chainreactioncycles.com. £24.99.

wellago mags light and strong cant go wrong.

Armour

661 Veggie Wrap Shins.

Helmets

Try as many on as possible. Just go around every bike shop you can and try different ones on. www.giro.com. www.met.com. www.bell-helmets.com. Popular model: Giro havoc. £40.

Feel free to add to this.

Edited by onzatrip

• 1 year later...