J Ds Marino ' Build Thread '

JD™

It'll basically be the old build from my ES4 with some slight changes:

Frame: Marino

Forks: Echo (god knows which ones, the ones from 2003)

Headset: Hope XC

BB: Old square taper Shimano (UN52 I think)

Front Wheel: LX Hub on Megamo Drilled Rim

Rear Wheel: Hope XC on Megamo Drilled Rim

Tyres: Maxxis Holy Rollers

Cranks: Middleburns

Stem: Onza

Bars: Trialtech Highrise

Brakes: 2004 HS33 F+R

Pads: Zoo!

Saddle & Post undecided

Same colour scheme as before, but with some added little tweaks which I'm quite excited about.

Oops...

post-497-0-12101400-1301077713_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Yes, I'm spraying it with the axle and bearings intact. 6/7 years of abuse without removing them seems to have made it more trouble than I can be arsed with. Out with the masking tape and away I went!

Edited by JD™

Oops...

post-497-0-12101400-1301077713_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Yes, I'm spraying it with the axle and bearings intact. 6/7 years of abuse without removing them seems to have made it more trouble than I can be arsed with. Out with the masking tape and away I went!

Very brave doing that, braver than me :P Frame looks real nice in the orange too :) going for the same orange/white scheme as the echo then?

Very brave doing that, braver than me :P Frame looks real nice in the orange too :) going for the same orange/white scheme as the echo then?

Yea, I'll be going with orange on the hubs though while I've got the wheels apart. I've ordered some bits from Tarty too which will finish it off nicely I think (apparently these have arrived but there's been no chance of me getting to the office :( )

Loving the mini make shift spraying booth :D

Yea, I was going to set up my shed 'spray booth' again but I only had like an hour of light so thought I'd crack the hell on so I can get some colour on tomorrow to check it's right. Frame is on it's way now so time isn't on my side to get everything sprayed properly, hardened and rebuilt the wheels. Tomorrow is spray day, should hopefully have the hubs in colour and the rest of the bits in primer.

Just as a re-warning, I'm using this thread more for my own benefit, so I'm not expecting everyone to enjoy the amount of updates I'm doing. If you like them then great, and if you don't then that's fine too - just don't look till it's finished :P

A lot of these pictures will probably be used for a little painting tutorial in the manual section too, so it's worth planting them somewhere.

Anyway, got up relatively early this morning to get some spraying done. Got a couple of coats of colour on the hubs...

post-497-0-11350900-1301137359_thumb.jpg

I also got some primer on the rims but haven't taken any pics.

Hubs definitely need some detail on them, and I have something in mind but there's not a lot I can do about it today. The big worry in my mind now is actually building the f**kers back up without scratching them - I'm not massively good at that bit!

EDIT: I'll change that pic when they've hardened a bit so I can put them somewhere brighter..

Edited by JD™

You take that pic standing on your head JD??

I was a bit confused by that, it's the right way up on the computer... Then it uploaded upside down...

Here, instead, should be a correct way up picture of the rear hub with the new stuff I just picked up from the office. Couldn't include the front as it's currently having fun times seeing whether my detail idea will work.

post-497-0-55803900-1301150069_thumb.jpg

Well, I wanted to stencil these with my initials in white before I lacquered them, but I just couldn't get it right and didn't want to have stickers made up before I lacquered them either so I'm just leaving them plain - I'm sure it'll still look uber fit.

They are clearly a slightly different orange to the frame too, which is what you get when you just buy rattle cans off the colour. Still, it's bright and I reckon it'll go. If it doesn't I'll just respray the frame when it gets here:

post-497-0-00797500-1301393899_thumb.jpg

Gotta have brakes Sam, I'm nowhere near good enough for brakeless and I wouldn't wanna go that way until I'm bored of riding with brakes. Though knowing that my lovely sidewalls are going to get wrecked saddens me already...

post-497-0-03265100-1301431570_thumb.jpg

Couldn't be arsed to make a photo album or upload them elsewhere so double post ahoy... Had to check out the new tyre.

post-497-0-29632500-1301431666_thumb.jpg

I'm happy with how the build went, just looking forward to getting the back wheel done now. However, I'm aware that I shouldn't finish it all too soon because I'll end up building it back onto the Jekyll frame... Still got the forks to do though (Y)