Owners Of Trial Tech Forks Please Look In

Matt Vandart

And how would that work exactly??

pretty much all bmx forks have integrated crown races, the crown is in such a shape to sit against the bearing eliminating the need for a crown race

my 2011 sl forks do, and im sure my trialtechs did aswell

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/20_inch_forks/echo_sl_20_inch_2011/c13p11618.html <<LIKE THIS

im sure i ran my trialtechs as im running the sls now, without a race

to clear things up, the Trialtech fork doesn't have an integrated race.

secondly, there may be a gap under the race when installed as the Trialtech fork's crown race has a curved cut edge for strength as a lot of forks with a square cut races end up snapping.

I can see the advantage of having a smooth transition at the point where the steerer meets the crown but surely you'd need the bearing race to have a similar internal radius to allow it to seat properly on the crown? If the crown race is seated part way up the curved transition it's going to be trying to expand every time you put downward pressure on it and eventually it'll crack.

I can see the advantage of having a smooth transition at the point where the steerer meets the crown but surely you'd need the bearing race to have a similar internal radius to allow it to seat properly on the crown? If the crown race is seated part way up the curved transition it's going to be trying to expand every time you put downward pressure on it and eventually it'll crack.

True but a bearing race cracking seems a fair trade off when you're removing a key weak point that could cause you to lose your teeth.

I've never heard of a bearing race cracking, but then I've never heard of a set if trialtechs snapping at the steerer either. So I don't are a problem with the small radius at all. I know it was a weak point on older rockman forks where the area wasnt radiused causing a stress riser and the steerer to snap.

I've never heard of a bearing race cracking, but then I've never heard of a set if trialtechs snapping at the steerer either. So I don't are a problem with the small radius at all. I know it was a weak point on older rockman forks where the area wasnt radiused causing a stress riser and the steerer to snap.

Kyle snapped a pair of fairly new trialtechs at the base of the steerer earlier this year

you are talking as if this is something that happens?

I'm not saying it's definately going to fail but if the crown race is sitting 1mm above the crown, something isn't seated right.

I had a look at the SL headset and it has a split in the crown race so that won't crack but the underside has an internal chamfer not a fillet. If left to bed in it could create two angled transitons between the steerer and the crown negating the fillet that trialtech have machined into the fork for strength and making two potential weak points where you don't want them.

Clearly I'm just playing devil's advocate here but something's not right and if it was my bike, I'd try n get the crown race seated properly before riding. I'd probably start by emailing trialtech to see if it's something they've come across already.

I'm not trying to be a pr#*K about it, I'm just trying to offer what I think is good advice.

Edited by Chris Borneo

bearing race to have a similar internal radius to allow it to seat properly on the crown?

If the crown race is seated part way up the curved transition it's going to be trying to expand every time you put downward pressure on it and eventually it'll crack.

Ideally, yes, or a larger one, but some manufacturers don't do this.

It won't crack, because it's under equal force both ways (3rd law) - and it's under compression. steel is vrey strong in compression as you know.

Works in theory, works in practice, job done!

• Like 2