Owners Of Trial Tech Forks Please Look In

Matt Vandart

So it doesn't matter that the crown race is going to bed into the aluminium fork and create a weak point exactly where trialtech were trying to eliminate one? If you know steel is good under compression, you'll know that aluminium isn't. I'm not an engineer, I'm not even a professional bike mechanic but I've built and broken enough bikes and components over the last 15 years to know that if there's a 1mm gap between the crown race and the crown, it's not a proper fit and if it's sitting on a part of the fork that the manufacturer considered a potential weak point, it's worth putting right.

Edited by Chris Borneo

If we're talking 1mm, then surely its easily enough done to cut a slit into the crown race, allowing it to expand ever so slightly to seat itself on the crown of the fork?

I've done the very same when fitting a new headset, that required a new crown race on trialtech forks.

The race wouldn't seat properly, so we created a split race, and on it slid. 1 and a half years on, still running perfectly. No damage done to either the headset or the fork.

Edited by Echo Lite 09

So it doesn't matter that the crown race is going to bed into the aluminium fork and create a weak point exactly where trialtech were trying to eliminate one?

it's worth putting right.

well, firstly it doesn't.

Secondly it was designed and made that way so there is nothing to put right. It's not like the race is half way up a gradual curve or anything. Rather than make a crown with sharp angles that doesn't cope well with flex they designed a small radius to eliminate a week point.

Hundreds of forks sold, not many returned = job well done I think?

• Like 2

Ideally, yes, or a larger one, but some manufacturers don't do this.

It won't crack, because it's under equal force both ways (3rd law) - and it's under compression. steel is vrey strong in compression as you know.

Works in theory, works in practice, job done!

So it doesn't matter that the crown race is going to bed into the aluminium fork and create a weak point exactly where trialtech were trying to eliminate one? If you know steel is good under compression, you'll know that aluminium isn't. I'm not an engineer, I'm not even a professional bike mechanic but I've built and broken enough bikes and components over the last 15 years to know that if there's a 1mm gap between the crown race and the crown, it's not a proper fit and if it's sitting on a part of the fork that the manufacturer considered a potential weak point, it's worth putting right.

well, firstly it doesn't.

Secondly it was designed and made that way so there is nothing to put right. It's not like the race is half way up a gradual curve or anything. Rather than make a crown with sharp angles that doesn't cope well with flex they designed a small radius to eliminate a week point.

Hundreds of forks sold, not many returned = job well done I think?

Talking-to-Brick-Wall.jpg

• Like 1

Just to go against the grain here, I can see exactly where Chris is coming from. A crown race is designed to sit on the crown of the fork, where the load is taken by the two flat surfaces. From what's being described the crown race is unable to seat properly so any load is being passed through a circular point load (does that make sense?) rather than through a surface. Doesn't sound ideal to me, although I'm well aware of how awesome and strong the forks are.

I also understand where Chris is coming from but I rekon as long as the headset is not loose this will not be a problem.

the split ring may well 'expand' however its not gonna expand much because of the way SL headsets are designed, its more of a wear ring or locator ring than a race, the race is within the bearing itself.

I know you already know this dude but just saying for clarity of anyone following.

Just to go against the grain here, I can see exactly where Chris is coming from. A crown race is designed to sit on the crown of the fork, where the load is taken by the two flat surfaces. From what's being described the crown race is unable to seat properly so any load is being passed through a circular point load (does that make sense?) rather than through a surface. Doesn't sound ideal to me, although I'm well aware of how awesome and strong the forks are.

Stoked, someone who get's the point I was trying to make. Thought I was going to have to get my paint skills out and draw a diagram.

I also understand where Chris is coming from but I rekon as long as the headset is not loose this will not be a problem.

the split ring may well 'expand' however its not gonna expand much because of the way SL headsets are designed, its more of a wear ring or locator ring than a race, the race is within the bearing itself.

I know you already know this dude but just saying for clarity of anyone following.

I think it's more likley that either the crown race or the fork will become deformed but hopefully it won't cause you any major issues. Sounds like the trialtech forks are pretty tough anyway

What headset was used to test the forks?

Pretty sure most people used an echo headset theses days that has a split race, although you could say the manufracture of the headset has a design issue, simpl fix would be a larger chamfer to clear the radious on the crown race

• Like 1

What headset was used to test the forks?

Pretty sure most people used an echo headset theses days that has a split race, although you could say the manufracture of the headset has a design issue, simpl fix would be a larger chamfer to clear the radious on the crown race

To be fair, the headset manufacturer probably wouldn't expect there to be a radius at the steerer crown junction but I think you're right that it needs a bigger internal chamfer.

Edited by Chris Borneo

Years of these forks having no issues is sort of enough 'proof' to me that there isn't really a problem there. Stan's been using an SL headset with his Trialtech forks since before I started working with him, and he's had no problems.

Trialtech are out of the most conscientious companies out there when it comes to design, so if they didn't have faith in it I doubt they'd release them. Again, no problems being reported with these forks sort of suggests that they were right to do so...

• 10 months later...