Inspired Hex

RickyBrown

Hi all

I'm looking to get myself a hex in the coming weeks thanks to persuasion from my friend MrKenny. I've just been looking at internally routed cabling for the back brake. Obviously it would void my warrenty but is it actually going to weaken the frame much seeing as inspired are bombproof anyway? If I were to do it obviously I'd aviod welds but where are the stress points on the headtube/downtube I should avoid?, could I grind the hosing mounts off the frame without too much hassle? and finally how many people think I'm utterly stupid for wanting my bike looking as slick as possible?

(actually don't answer that last one)

cheers

RickyB

I'm pretty sure Mark W has grinded cable guides and everything brake related off his bike so that shouldn't be a problem but I'm not sure about drilling holes in it.

p.s. When its sorted lets get a ride going on in Sheffield with Kenny. I'm only up in Leeds.

Edited by CalopS

hmmmm.. I'm pretty sure if I keep the hole circular it shouldn't be a problem to be honest with you the grinding off the guides was my biggest fear. mark's riding is huge anyway (he was part of the 24 2011 tour am i right?)

I'm pretty sure kenny's bike hasn't seen the light of day for years now :lol: but he has no excuse so I'll do my best.

Cheers

and finally how many people think I'm utterly stupid for wanting my bike looking as slick as possible?

haha, ignore any haters on that...im with you 100% ;)

i genuinely believe that how you see/feel about your bike actually affects how well you ride it (for the good or bad)...its just a psychological thing but it still works!

im pretty sure i saw adam 'tarty read with a black anodised speedrace with internally routed cables...think it was custom (no idea if speedrace ever made such frames) so may be worth asking him? or hoping he stumbles across this...

im pretty sure i saw adam 'tarty read with a black anodised speedrace with internally routed cables...think it was custom (no idea if speedrace ever made such frames) so may be worth asking him? or hoping he stumbles across this...

That was a Czar, and yes, I chopped the crap out of it, was fine.

you could cut the frame near the ht,put a seat on instead bars/stem,and you´d have an expensive,but light unicycle.pedal-less ,trendsetting ?!

joking aside,cutting bicycle parts isnt a good idea i think.

btw there werent 100grs you´ll save

Maybe he should just get a Marino.

Joking aside, I don't think weight saving has anything to do with it. As with Chris who attacked his brand new Skye, the only issue is the voiding of warranty however, if you're ok with this (and to be fair Inspired's are built frickin' strong so I very much doubt there'd ever be an issue) I'd go for it!

Yeah it looks pretty sweet Ive done it to my 2011 echo pure. Mainly cause I was bored and it was out of warranty anyway, if i were you id leave it the alone it will effect the resale value if you ever decide to part with it and unless you have it resprayed properly once you have taken chunks off it it will leave it looking not so sick.

post-11172-0-23130200-1325773911_thumb.j

Edited by jambo

dont do it ricky!! not worth the hassle. whats wrong wi good old zip ties?

ZIP TIES ARE DISCUSTING :lol:

I think i might do it. It's going raw aswell... I saw the pictures of the skye when chris raw'ed it and it looked frikking shweet. never really thought about it hitting the insides of the frame on gaps/hops ect... nothing that a little expanding foam insulation couldnt fix I spose

does it constantly hit the inner side each time you land? alsmot like a loose chain hits the side?

i know its alot stiffer than a chain, but was something that came to me...like jambo said, it could end up looking not so great unless its finished nicely

I have never noticed it make a noise at all and I have an uncovered braided hose, mine is a really neat fit so dosent have a lot of room to move.

How could I get the o rings on the inside of the tubing bearing in mind I only want the cabling hole to be tiny, small as possible so not to affect the integrity of the frame?

Expanding foam sounds like it'd do the trick just fine tongue.gif less fuss... Unless you can prove me wrong because I don't get how to put the o rings in

Cheers

How could I get the o rings on the inside of the tubing bearing in mind I only want the cabling hole to be tiny, small as possible so not to affect the integrity of the frame?

You'd need to drill the frame with holes approximately the OD of the o-rings used. To get the hose/cable through the frame you'll need to remove any fittings from the end meaning you'll be able to slide the o-rings over the hose/cable and locate them in the right place within the tubes and if necessary you could have grommets at either end of the o-ring 'chain' to seal the tube where the hose/cable enters and exits.

Just a thought really since expanding foam could well give you some major headaches if you ever want to change the hose/cable outer as it will effectively bond itself inside the frame unless you treat the external surface of the hose/cable first with oil or something to stop it sticking...

if you want your bike looking as slick as just don't run a rear brake ....

brakeless is for my fixie laugh.gif... Iv'e tried it on my trials bike. I never got on with it because it changes my riding style so much.

Maybe he should just get a Marino.

Also I did look at marino's whats all the hype about? are they any good? I've seen a few people preaching about them... I don't really fancy a steel frame but I'm just curious

...and they take a beating. I have an ability to stack far harder than whatever move I'm failing to do, and mines held up without so much as a dent. Debating getting another one as the replacement frame for my other bike too...

They are cheap and you can choose your own geo,tubing etc...

How cheap are we talking Iv'e just been on their site and there's no pricing =S pretty silly way to work things if you ask me.

So you have to submit an order before you get a price? or am I missing something?