Protein Shakes

Gaz96

Going to the gym quite regularly now. Around four times a week, but I really don't think I get enough protein. Need some advice on what to buy. There's this on ebay which is nice and cheap. But are there any disadvantages of it's cheapness?

Would this from Myprotein be a better option?

Cheers.

Edited by davidbarr

15 stone at 6' isn't exactly 'haven't done it'.... you never told me how big you are? (i hate to have to ask such a gay question, but you asked me)

have you ever been to a gym?

have you ever weight trained?

i don't mind being shot down, not everything i say will be right. but i would at least like to be by someone who has a real interest in the physical side of the subject. not just the chem.

anyhow, you still have offered no advice.

how do i build lean muscle? seriously, id like to hear your advice... your bound to know stuff i don't. maybe vise versa. thats the whole point of a forum isn't it?

Off topic, is that you in your avatar preloading for that hefty looking gap?

ive been using USN or maximuscle shakes recently but theyre so expensive, but i just found this

anyone seen it before, really cheap... seen some good reviews on different websites but you can never tell if they were just site uploaded.

Off topic, is that you in your avatar preloading for that hefty looking gap?

yar, it not as big as it looks

few years ago now though

Edited by totally steaming!!

There's a 20-60 minute window for when your muscles are screaming out for nutrients, but protein takes a lot longer than that to get into the blood as I understand it.

only if its casein protein, whey protein is fast acting :)

personally i use

http://monstersupplements.com/store/p/4304/1/Hyper-Strength-Hyper-Gain-5.4kg.html

Okay so I've never used protein shakes before, currently going the gym 3-4 times a week, spending way more time on cardio. Are protein shakes worth my time? As in I'm thinking of speed of recovery/building of muscle more than to be a big juicy juicer. Plus, it's easier than cooking or making something for replenishment.

I just realised that I actually asked this earlier in the thread, how retarded of me...

Edited by MonsieurMonkey

• 2 weeks later...

Double post of lameness. Best place to buy protein online? I'm not sure what prices are right etc, but looking for cheap quality, not just plain old cheap and nasty.

I got a kilo of the impact whey from myprotein. Very good price, and delivery was quick. link

Can't really comment on results yet, as I've only just started using it, but it seems to have brilliant reviews.

Finished off my first load of myprotein impact whey too, very impressed. Gonna try a more mass oriented one from the same site next, but definitely recommend them either way. Getting a shaker is obvious, but remember to buy a scoop with them too as they don't come with one and consistency is pretty key.

No Shakers from MyProtein, I was looking at their all in one stuff, that've got a bit of carbs and creatine in them, was thinking about doing half doses as I don't train everyday so the creatine stays in my system and there'd be less waste of days when I don't go the gym or whatever. But I'm not sure if it'd just be easier to get whey protein and keep going as I am. I can't say I really understand this shit at all.

I doubt I'll be able to deal with the taste regardless, so it'll just be neck neck neck :P

Edited by MonsieurMonkey

if your getting one with carbs and protein, may as well just get a weight gainer for half the price, and cut out 2 slices of toast or whatever. obviously each servings half the price of protein, but it has half the protein in it. Im never a huge fan of creatine for £ per lb of weight(either in mass or strength form), its only really good for eeking out them last couple of reps, at which point i think its a placebo, far better to have a training partner that gives you crap if you dont lift till you start to cry.

if your buying a shaker,the ball shakers are way better than the gauze ones, ideally one with a heavy metal ball that sinks nice and quick. can get them for like £2 off ebay, and you can drink other stuff out of them too(in case you wernt sure)

I've tried other stuff, but honestly the only thing ive found worth the cash is protein. and Id pick real food over protein any day, its just its way too easy to spend £100+ a week on eating right, subbing a couple of chicken breasts for a protein shake, soon drops that cost dramatically.

other supplements, if there legal, are imo largely a waste of time(only exception is possibly stuff like jack3d, but i dont like the effects of it, and ill come onto its legality a bit more in a second)

if stuff gave you an edge in training i.e it made you stronger/quicker/more powerful, it'd be banned in sports (and youd fail an olympic drugs test on jack3d i believe, purely because of its stupid high caffeine content, setting off readings relating to other stimulants(ephedrine/amphetamines etc))

if it wasnt as quick acting and just made you bigger/leaner over a set amount of time, itd be banned in sports and also banned in animal feeds. (google the steroid finaplex, then google finaplex cows, google the weight loss drug clenbuterol, then google chinese clenbuterol pigs) because if it gave you an actual edge it'd be banned in sports, if it made you more meat less fat for a worthwhile price, farmers would be feeding it to their cattle.

And i dont know of any cows on a creatine and BCAA supplemented diet. Sure its a pretty flawed argument, but I think you get the point.

As for illegal supplements, thats not something to discuss on this forum.

Wasn't thinking of anything illegal, just basically the best product for the price. I found this bad boy. £40 for 5kg seems pretty insane, especially considering that's pretty much the same price/kg for some whey. Sorry if I'm just questioning what you're saying, but that seems to have a lot of protein/amino acids rocking in there, so just checking :P

If it helps, I just want to build muscle and cut fat, nothing else, I don't want to be enormous, just well built, think athlete more than bodybuilder. I just dunno what to get, there's like 40 things that seem to be almost the same, but do completely different things, some shit rocking out 1000cals per serving and whatever. My mind.

Edited by MonsieurMonkey

Getting carbohydrate into your system as fast as possible after cardio, particularly intense cardio that works your anaerobic system and therefore emphasises muscle glycogen over fat, is the best means of replacing muscle glycogen, speeding up recovery and avoiding fatigue the following day. I've seen significant differences in the rate of recovery/fatigue from ingesting lots of carbs and protein straight after exercise. A proper meal is obviously better but a recovery drink is effective. If you can get to a proper meal as soon as you get home this is worth doing.

If you're doing runs or something similar at a relaxed pace for 30 mins or less I wouldn't worry about what I'm saying but anything more than this will help you feel better the next day.

Also if you do long distance at slow paces it's just as important to get carbohydrates into your system as fast as possible. Muscle glycogen is still being used as well as fat but to a lesser degree but also for longer which means it can still deplete even though fat is its primary energy source. I think we have, on average, 1500 calories of usable glycogen in the muscles, a few hundred in the liver and we can hold about 80-100 in the blood stream - that's why gels, energy powder, etc. and the like are around that quantity. Typically we hold around 30-40000 in the form of fat though. Muscle glycogen is carbohydrate converted into a form that can be stored and used from the muscles, btw.

Edited by Ben Rowlands

Anyone looking for an easy carb boost, I highly recommend My proteins flavorless instant oats to add to a shake, think it's around 80 - 100g per serving and 650 + kcal per shake with milk, 40+ g of protein. Easy on the stomach, cheap and nice as furrrrrkkk

Edited by Deonn h

Cheers Ben, didn't know a lot of that. So I'm doing about 40 mins of interval training, maybe a little more depending on how long I can go for. Then about the same again of weights. I'm doing that 3 times a week, wanting to do more but I dunno if my body can cope with it :P But I'm trying to lose weight and gain definition, I'm starting to think a low carb high protein mix might be best? Like a 70 30 split? I do try to get it with food, but eggs and tuna are expensive :P