Creatine

Gaz96

Can you use Creatine to tone rather than just bulk? Not wanting to add weight only looking to tone, a lil bit of extra muscle wouldn't be bad but would rather be lean and toned than bulky! So would taking say 3grams of creatine each day be ok for this? I know most people take 5-10 grams per day but would I still see some effects from 3grams?

Also I would be taking the tablet kind so that's 3 tablets I'd be taking but do I take them all at once? I've read there's advantages for taking it before workout and also advantages for after so would it be a good idea to take 2 before workout and 1 after?

Edited by Gaz96

I'd personally stick with the powder and take it as normal, as long as your not blasting high weight low reps and hammering the carbs with the protein I don't see a problem.

Some people will probably disagree with me but I find creatine helps more as a boost to my last sets than something that adds muscle, mainly as I use it especially for playing football and can serious tell the difference in my stamina and speed when I'm off it.

Taking under the recommended amount will just be a waste in my opinion.

Back when I was racing XC I took a decent amount of creatine (will confirm how much later when I see how much the scoop is) and found that I didn't get any muscle growth as such but found that it was much harder to get cramp, my recovery improved ten fold, and despite having to burn off a bit of water weight from it I think it was the healthiest and best my body has ever been.

The energy I had during that time was really explosive, but I had stamina to go with it. I could do an entire XC race at a sprint and found it made a real difference the next day too, with good stretching and a lengthy warm down I never felt stiff and immobile the next day. When I stopped racing and carried on taking it though...I just got fat.

Part of me wondered if it was a placebo, because when I first started taking it (even during load phase) I trained much harder expecting to to make a difference and testing the new product. So it might have been the difference in training that made the real effect. But either way I felt everything it said on the box.

I only know that a friend of mine got heart problems from that stuff..

yea, same!

creatine has no immediate effect. if thats what you need, buy a sports drink.

if your taking tablets (make sure its 100% creatine! ffs!), you should take one every hour for the first 6/7 hours in the day for the first two weeks to get it into your system. (depends on the size of the pills though)

3 a day for 6 weeks after that. do not miss a single day! seriously.

do this 8 week cycle with a one or two week break off the stuff after, then start again

if you don't have a break your body will become immune and it will lose all effect. (this has been debated though)

creatine does make you stronger, and prevents so much aching after workout so you can then lift more on your next workout with less ache. thus ripping your muscles more and promoting more muscle growth.

you'll be weaker on your break so time it well.

if you don't work out hard anyway, your wasting your money and time

Edited by totally steaming!!

Mmmm baby, I'm so glad you responded with such hostility.

Creatine, it builds up in your muscles, in the form of creatine phosphate. That can be quickly turned into ATP. Now I'm sure the more astute of us have already caught up, but I doubt you have. What's ATP used for? That's right! It's energy. So how the f**k exactly, does energy make you stronger? It'll make you stronger in the long run, it'll make you lift more reps, but it won't make you lift more. So unless you think a bag of sugar would make you lift more. Shut the f**k up, and go back to world's strongest man or Mr Universe. Those f**king meat head dullards might be more on your intellectual level.

Edited by MonsieurMonkey
  • Like 1

Mmmm baby, I'm so glad you responded with such hostility.

Creatine, it builds up in your muscles, in the form of creatine phosphate. That can be quickly turned into ATP. Now I'm sure the more astute of us have already caught up, but I doubt you have. What's ATP used for? That's right! It's energy. So how the f**k exactly, does energy make you stronger? It'll make you stronger in the long run, it'll make you lift more reps, but it won't make you lift more. So unless you think a bag of sugar would make you lift more. Shut the f**k up, and go back to world's strongest man or Mr Universe. Those f**king meat head dullards might be more on your intellectual level.

energy doesn't make you stronger? yea i lift more when I'm tired...

1. ATP is the best source of energy for your muscles.

2. the byproduct of ATP after it is used by your muscles is called ADP (Adenosine Diphosphate) which is useless to our bodies. unfortunately our bodies have a limited supply of ATP, so when it runs out, it leaves your muscles with no available energy.

3. But! Creatine combines with phosphate in your body to create phosphocreatine.

4. Phosphocreatine converts the ADP back into ATP.

5. Your muscles have more available energy.

not only that but this reaction decreases the pH in the cells during exercise therefore buffering the burning sensation known as lactic acid.

so when you add more weight and think, coooorrrrr i'd never make my second set using that weight! well... with the help of creatine, you will! so you lifted more weight! so your stronger.

go to a gym and try it, you'll see how it works first hand.

id listen to mr universe's or the worlds strongest man's advice on weight training before i listen to yours mr arrogant.

energy doesn't make you stronger? so you lifted more weight! so your stronger.

go to a gym and try it, you'll see how it works first hand.

id listen to mr universe's or the worlds strongest man's advice on weight training before i listen to yours mr arrogant.

He's right, you're wrong. ;)

More reserved energy would increase stamina and your maximum amount of reps, being stronger would increase your maximum amount of weight for one rep.