Tank Brake Fluid

staryarm69

are you messin or for you actually mean it? :) when you say im right?

i mean it mate im talking about 100% British military spec tank brake fluid. im thinking if water is so good and i personnely much proffer it to royal blood then could tank fluid be even better

water is used because it has a lower viscosity making it easier to move.

i dont know the viscosity of the tank fluid but with it being so hard im thinking it will be like a solid bar in the lines so vary responsive my thought on the draw backs are if the pistons will return at a usable rate

• Like 1

i mean it mate im talking about 100% British military spec tank brake fluid. im thinking if water is so good and i personnely much proffer it to royal blood then could tank fluid be even better

i dont know the viscosity of the tank fluid but with it being so hard im thinking it will be like a solid bar in the lines so vary responsive my thought on the draw backs are if the pistons will return at a usable rate

thats just awesome! :) you will probably find that if you do an endo you will end up over the handlebars or something haha :lol:

For the pressures involved in trials both fluids can be considered incompressable and oil is usually classed as less dense than water (oil floats on water) with the viscosity being the ease of which the fluid moves, any spongyness is usually due to a poor bleed or gasses diffusing through the liquid

I'm no engineer but.....

Liquid is pretty compression-less (note pretty, not entirely), water, oil etc is VERY hard to compress, I doubt tank fluid is any "harder" than water and I doubt you would notice any difference other than the weight saving in your wallet.

Edit: that was just talking about how stiff the brake would be, as has been mentioned water works well because it's thinner than oil, if you really want to experiment you need to try something even thinner, mercury could be a good one :)

I'm no engineer but.....

Liquid is pretty compression-less (note pretty, not entirely), water, oil etc is VERY hard to compress, I doubt tank fluid is any "harder" than water and I doubt you would notice any difference other than the weight saving in your wallet.

Edit: that was just talking about how stiff the brake would be, as has been mentioned water works well because it's thinner than oil, if you really want to experiment you need to try something even thinner, mercury could be a good one :)

Mercury? Please tell me that was a joke

I'm thinking a experement is in order, sud be no more then 2 weeks and the fluid will be sat here ready to play with, I'm rather looking forward to trying it and seeing how it works and since this is a freebee its defo worth a try

Thanks for the comments, its always good to get a dicussion goin

It's hard to remove air bubbles from treacle but does any one know wear I cud get some murcury ?

Do you know what type of brake fluid the tank uses? If it's just some form of mineral hydraulic fluid it should be ok, but if it's some form of DOT fluid then it will ruin your Magura. Might want to check before you go chucking it in an already working brake.

Damn you Craig! Was just about to say that the fact they are calling it "brake fluid" sounds like its most likely a DOT type fluid, and therefore bad for maguras!

Water is fine, I am using the coolant we use for diggers at the factory where I work, and its working well, possibly better than my last water bleed!

Adam

Does anyone want to start a new business with me?

We will buy Halfords brake fluid (DOT or Mineral, whichever is cheapest) then we will put it in bottles and put stickers on it saying 'TANK BRAKE FLUID THIS STUFF IS BETTERER THAN EVERYTHING ELSE' and we will sell it on ebay for massive profits!

Who's in?

• Like 5

in my eyes if u dont look to improve things will never get better n a small improvement in fluid is still and improvement.

thanks for mentioning the mineral and dot part i didn't think of that and not sure which it is but will check when it comes (not paying for it so nowt to loose rely)

anybody else tried something other then the norm and what was the results like

tried a vee brake, found it had advantages over maguras in nearly every bit, so I carried on using it.

So did I - but I was so bad at setting them up I reverted to a mag :(

The times I got Josh set it up for me it performed notably better than any Magura/Echo I've had, but I don't like having to get other people to set my bike up for me :P

Another vote for Vees rather than tank brake fluid. Staryarm, you made a suggestion which you thought might work. People gave you fairly hard evidence that it will be to oil as oil is to water, and you're going to do it anyway? As you said - it's free so there's not much to lose, but you know it's going to be worse... I'm all for experimentation, but if the theory behind said experiment states it'll be worse than the original we moved away from, it seems like a waste of effort.