The Car Thread

MadManMike

Drained the coolent system and filled it back up with anti freeze. Heaters still not working right. Its not getting warm even after the engin is at its normal temp.

Haven't read anything else about your problem, did you get all the airlocks out? did you run a hose through the system to make sure it's circulating as it should? What car is it?

I've been playing with insurance today too, managed to get my renewal for the Scirocco down to less than they'd initially quoted me for the Passat, as well as upgrading to fully-comp, I love playing companies off against each other.

Scirocco's still going well, but I'm more and more sure that it's lacking mid-range-power, rather than just not living up to my expectations. Shall try and find time to give it a good polish and clean out the throttle body and MAF tomorrow.

• Like 1

Bora 1.9tdi. Washed it out and filled it up slowly but how do i make sure all the air is out the system?

Well was it circulating properly, most notably through the heater matrix hoses...?

Run it up with the expansion cap off until it's up to temp to get rid of air.

Bought a new car today, it's the happiest thing on 4 wheels. Got it for 360 quid, was a very long and awful drive though, very bad weather conditions.

Took a friend with me to test it out, the test drive was the funniest thing ever. Amazingly good driver, slippery roads and a car which he absolutely thrashed while taking the piss out of it every second. The owner wasn't really bothered, he just gave us the keys and went back home. I drove it once we came back on some snowy roads and it's so much fun. Absolutely love it. Fairly sharp controls, everything works, suspension is good, engine has more than enough power (had 90bhp new, which in a car that weighs 800kgs is nice). It's a bit early to say but I think it's my best purchase ever.

dsc01643lf.jpg

dsc01641k.jpg

• Like 5

Yep, a Charade :D I love its silly name, I love the look of it and how it's just so much fun. Actually I'm more excited about this piece of junk than I was about collecting the M3. Budget is 650 quid so got 300 left - got a seat, seatbelts and wheel, need some really good winter tyres, car requires basic maintenance and a steering boss. That's about it.

Looks awesome! Cheap, light, simple, 'kick the shit out of them and don't care about it' cars are the best! So I bought another :$ Completely standard Mk1 Eunos Roadster, no rust on the shell, really tidy inside, 60k miles, full MOT, 6 months tax, almost new tyres, loads of history, cheap insurance as it's a classic (less than £200 fully comp)... just waiting for the snow now :dance:

• Like 1

Haha, I know. I'm not too precious about these things. If it'll get through another MOT then that'll do me. Even if it turns to rust after that, I won't have lost anything if I break it, and will have got 18 months of fun out of it! Or I can drop all the running gear into some sort of MX-5 based kit chassis.

Picked another one of these up at the weekend, in love again ({)

Love the scooby!

I can't get my head around the naming systems for imprezas. Which ones are the properly quick ones (wrx/sti etc) and can you get a fast one as a wagon?

Since I had the trailer for 24 hours, I decided to collect the M3 and bring it back home. Driving up the ramps on semi slicks in the snow - not a good idea :D

33637642888570287343346.jpg

Blew 80 quid on a pair of Verdestein (?) winter tyres for the twitmobile, bucket seat and racing harnesses being fitted now. Had another drive in it and it's really odd driving a 4wd car after 4 years of racing RWD but it's fairly intuitive. You just floor it and left foot brake most of the time.

sti's are the fast ones, japanese ones are generally quicker than the uk ones, and yes you can - we had a first generation sti wagon and it was mental.

Basically this, the wrx isnt bad or slow by any means its just not as good / quick as the sti.

Japanese models are the one to go for as there figures are conservative and usually put out more power.

Cant go wrong with any imho except the new ones 2008 onwards steer clear.

Edited by i like cunning stunts

I've decided I fancy a fast (ish) estate car, but there aren't too many options. Something no slower than my current car (fn2 civic type r, 6.6 seconds to 60, allegedly) would seem to be a good benchmark. Possibilities:

330i/335i 3-series tourer, probably an e46

Impreza wagon

A4 Quattro / S4 avant

Octavia vrs estate

Mondeo ST (don't particularly want fwd though)

Anything else?