The Car Thread

MadManMike

A few more pics from Bedford on Monday.

considering it gets quite a bit of stick for being boring, i thought it was absolutely fantastic, although definitely one of those tracks that gets more interesting with speed. i think it could be quite dull in something low powered due to the high speed bends and long straights.

if Adam is reading this, definitely one for the Westy!

23_zpsc3a28792.jpg

17_zps9c5dad28.jpg

13_zpsd1be9955.jpg

19_zps1ebd53bc.jpg

10_zps270a0ec0.jpg

8_zpsda5b6813.jpg

15_zps5aed9904.jpg

• Like 1

if Adam is reading this, definitely one for the Westy!

Of course I am reading :P

Car's looking good Nick, and Jonny tells me it was going well too!

I don't think the Westy would make the noise limits at Bedford unfortunately :( I agree that any track is fun, it's just what you make of it!

Ah that's a shame, I think you'd possibly find it dull in the MX5.

We were taking the back chicane at around an indicated 100mph (I'm sure Jonnys data will make that considerably lower :lol: ) , and there were a few corners where I was absolutely flat in 4th, north of 100mph. at 70-80mph in something with less power these wouldn't really be corners as such, so it might seem a little bit of a 'power circuit'

Really looking forward to seeing what Jonny comes up with, his videos are always so good! he's pretty busy though, so pics will do for now :)

No worries Alex, any other questions just fire away man.

Got one! :D

I've finished putting 4 coats of base paint onto the bonnet. Fighting with a patchy finish. See pics below. The very dark spots are a dirty lens.

PElgmtm.jpg

9cquyjh.jpg

It's not that visible on these pics but if you're a painter you'll no doubt spot them.

I put the last coat on from about 40cm away using around 70% overlap (4th pass clears the 1st one). Any suggestions? I've got enough paint to do around 3-4 more thin coats so can still fix this.

Edit: on second thought, I think the limiting factor is that I'm using a gun which cost 12 quid.

Edited by Greetings
  • Like 1

The guns probably not helping but either way we can sort it, try a slightly heavier coat Alex as your picture across the panel looks very dry, doesn't look like the paints flowing as it's abit too thin. What pressure are you spraying at? Also the size of the tip on the gun?

The guns probably not helping but either way we can sort it, try a slightly heavier coat Alex as your picture across the panel looks very dry, doesn't look like the paints flowing as it's abit too thin. What pressure are you spraying at? Also the size of the tip on the gun?

Boo, noticed this after putting the first coat of clear on :( But to answer your question, 4bar (tried lower but the gun didn't atomize the paint too well and I ended up with it just spitting blobs). Tip is 1.5mm. I managed to get the finish up to a reasonably satisfactory level. Bearing in mind how the rest of the car looks and that I literally wash it twice a year tops, it might be good enough. I was just fed up with a blue bumper, navy blue bonnet and rear bumper which looked like a collinder.

Anyway, bonnet is done, used your advice regarding the clear coat and it's worked like a charm. Got a very nice orange peel which shouldn't take too long to get rid of. Kind of wish I knew as much when I was doing the first panels as I do now. Sadly I'll forget it all by the time i have to paint something again :P Really enjoyed this endeavor, painting is so much fun. Shame it's spoiled by fluff flying around and low quality tools. Can't wait to do the M3 bumper, I buy them new for 20 quid already primed. That's going to be a fun and easy job!

To add to this "post a picture of your bonnet thread":

Hl2iZWk.jpg

Looks good Alex, I'm glad you've persevered with it and jot given in.

It always surprises me how easy most people think good paintwork actually is. Most people that came into work 8-10 monts ago painting there spoiler or bumper corner are now trying to open a body shop. It's worrying really.

Definitely not easy and definitely not expensive if you want to have it done properly considering the amount of work that goes into preparation.

I've saved all your notes for future reference, they've proven invaluable. Also found some brilliant DIY websites in English after I'd finished :P Not sure why I didn't consider searching for tips in this language earlier, there's tonnes more info. This one has an epic amount of information: http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/spray-painting.htm. They do however talk about 2pack being incredibly toxic, I hope using a simple mask is good enough to keep my lungs safe.

Probably should've mentioned that before, 2k products are toxic due to the isocianates released in the reaction, so the airborne vapours are lethal. It has differing affects on people thou, I know people that have been painting 2k maskless for years and years (I'm talking 40+) and other people who have been hospitalised after there first exposure.

I guessed with the amount of tooling you have bought for the m3 you'd have an airfed in that pile somewhere :P

Looking good Alex. painting is a black art for sure! I've never had the patience myself!

Just a quick in car clip from late in the day at Bedford on the South / East / North circuit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWicOd6qPTo&list=UUMvpraYm_RLFjfGZaZZ_YtQ

I'd like to spend more time on the suspension really, it's SO stable now it's crazy, but it does understeer a touch in the mid and low speed corners, but gives LOADS of confidence to pile into the higher speed corners without fear.

I'm somewhere between stiffening the rear ARB, or softening the front, or perhaps both, and playing with damping to make it a bit more lively.

It used to be a nightmare sliding around everywhere, but now it's just so stable, i could afford to live dangerously and make it rotate a bit more on request!

So, found the cause of my audio issues a few pages back. (If anyone cares! Probably not, haha)

Seems the rear windscreen washer is leaking somewhere in my tailgate...

13305402354_7ec5919081.jpg

13305051765_86396f480b.jpg

Seems the amp got a little damp!

13305407134_686b8ccb07.jpg

13305183983_088cd41d35.jpg

13305392824_029b182a9d.jpg

There was a pool of washer fluid in this area...all dry for now.

I'm not sure where exactly it is leaking from, I'm going to do some more investigating this weekend now I've removed the amp and base speaker.

Does anyone know which side of the car the washing fluid line is on?

Edited by AndrewEH1

Looking good Alex. painting is a black art for sure! I've never had the patience myself!

Just a quick in car clip from late in the day at Bedford on the South / East / North circuit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWicOd6qPTo&list=UUMvpraYm_RLFjfGZaZZ_YtQ

I'd like to spend more time on the suspension really, it's SO stable now it's crazy, but it does understeer a touch in the mid and low speed corners, but gives LOADS of confidence to pile into the higher speed corners without fear.

I'm somewhere between stiffening the rear ARB, or softening the front, or perhaps both, and playing with damping to make it a bit more lively.

It used to be a nightmare sliding around everywhere, but now it's just so stable, i could afford to live dangerously and make it rotate a bit more on request!

Sounds good, maybe make the mechanical grip balance a little more tail happy but then pitch the wing a touch more to keep the high speed stability?

Heading up to look at the MX-5 again later and sort what bits are coming with it as the current owner's back from Germany for the day. Be nice to have a bit of a better look with an eye towards making plans. Looks like I'll be collecting it in 2 weeks time, just need to sort someone to trailer it home for me.