The Car Thread

MadManMike

So I spotted that my arch gaps are different on the front. Drivers side I can fit 3 fingers between the arch and wheel, with the fingers being a little crushed. Passenger side you can comfortably fit 4.

I had a quick look just now and the spring hasn't snapped, so I assume the shock absorber is knackered?

Is there anything else that could cause that?

Also, it looks like the passengers side wheel pokes out further, is that just because the other side is sagging?

Basically I'm trying to troubleshoot without investing in all new shocks & springs and then finding it's something else that could have quickly been adjusted...

So I spotted that my arch gaps are different on the front. Drivers side I can fit 3 fingers between the arch and wheel, with the fingers being a little crushed. Passenger side you can comfortably fit 4.

I had a quick look just now and the spring hasn't snapped, so I assume the shock absorber is knackered?

Is there anything else that could cause that?

Also, it looks like the passengers side wheel pokes out further, is that just because the other side is sagging?

Basically I'm trying to troubleshoot without investing in all new shocks & springs and then finding it's something else that could have quickly been adjusted...

shocks wouldnt effect ride height. Springs can sag over time, and due to a car ususally having a driver and no passenger, the drivers side is more likely to sag than the passenger side.

Especially if a fat basterd owned it at some point :P

Gas shocks can affect ride height, but you'd probably know if they were blown, I've seen the state of the roads around Bristol! The higher side poking out more could just be because of the ride height; as MX-5's get lower they gain a lot of camber, so the lower side's wheel will be tucking in more at the top. I guess it's not on coilovers? If not then besides tired shocks and/or springs, the only thing I can think of's that if the eccentric bolts in the lower arms are opposite ways round side to side (due to someone without a clue trying to adjust things/replacing things) then it can cause them to sit wonky because the arms will be at different heights/angles and the shocks mount on the lower arm.

I've had an ask around with friends in Bristol and a couple of them have recommended FCM Motorsport for alignment. They might be worth a call, even if it's just to get them to check it over and give an idea if anything's in need of replacement.

Edited by RobinJI

Right need some help. When my cars cold and im driving its fine but when i put the clutch in the revs drop below idle like its about too cut out. From owning the car its cut out twice while driving the car first thing on a cold morning. Once cars up to temp though the idle point sits fine when i dip the clutch?

Also first thing when i start the car up if i push the accelator the revs dip bellow idle then it revs. This only happens for about 10 seconds then its fine.

My first honda so am pretty clueless and this is why i stayed away from old cars for soo long haha.

Any help in things i should look at first would be great.

Gas shocks can affect ride height, but you'd probably know if they were blown, I've seen the state of the roads around Bristol! The higher side poking out more could just be because of the ride height; as MX-5's get lower they gain a lot of camber, so the lower side's wheel will be tucking in more at the top. I guess it's not on coilovers? If not then besides tired shocks and/or springs, the only thing I can think of's that if the eccentric bolts in the lower arms are opposite ways round side to side (due to someone without a clue trying to adjust things/replacing things) then it can cause them to sit wonky because the arms will be at different heights/angles and the shocks mount on the lower arm.

I've had an ask around with friends in Bristol and a couple of them have recommended FCM Motorsport for alignment. They might be worth a call, even if it's just to get them to check it over and give an idea if anything's in need of replacement.

Yeah one of my friends suggested FCM. They're quite near where I live too, so that's cool - I'll give them a call.

It's on standard suspension. After Googling last night I'm not worried about the difference in ride height as a lot of MX's have it, I just want it to pull in a straight line :(

Cheers for the ideas, I'll pop into FCM and see what they can do.

The only question that is still unanswered is why it pulled slightly to the left on the old wheels, now massively to the right on the new ones - all I did was jack it up and swap wheels, I didn't mess with anything else.