The Car Thread

MadManMike

He got 6 points on his racing licence.

He didn't have any actions on the day, not even a talking to and was simply told he was excluded from the event, loaded up his trailer and went home. Didn't even check to see if Darren was on or apologise. CoC pulled Darren and him in to view footage and take accounts, then Mr Porsche was sent on his way. Darren didn't actually action a complaint about him, it was the CoC that pulled him in for the event.

The day's results -

http://www.tsl-timing.com/msvr/2014/144151cmv.pdf

Having a retrospective 6 points on a racing license is nothing compared to what Darren has got ahead of him to get back to the same position he was in.

FYI this is the fanny -

https://m.facebook.com/richard.hughes.3304

Edited by Pashley26

Can't read, banned.

6 points is the maximum that could be awarded; I haven't heard it from the horses mouth yet myself but what I have heard is a discussion about "what could the maximum be?" (From Darren) and "6 points and a CoC exclusion" from somebody else.

Either way, disgusting behaviour.

-

Bad news Mike, new engines are nice and cheap though :)

• Like 1

That's a bummer Mike :( It does sound like a big end bearing (the one between the con rod and the crank shaft), and it's usually on number 4 (the one nearest the gearbox, since that's the furthest from the oil pump, which is right at the front of the engine).

It's not an easy job just to replace the bearings unfortunately, as to get the sump off you need to remove the front subframe. Even then you'll struggle to get the sump to seal afterwards as it uses silicone / RTV rather than a 'regular' rubber gasket, so the surfaces need to be mega clean - not easy when you have oil running down the inside of the block!

As Jardo says, your best bet is to drop a new lump in - should be able to pick one up for less than £200, and you'll probably be able to find a friendly Nutzer who'll help you do it for a few quid. It's not too bad a job, you can do it in a day fairly comfortably on someone's drive (need an engine crane though, of course).

White smoke indicates head gasket usually, which is another reason to drop a new lump in rather than mess around with this one...

As an aside, none of my MX-5 engines have ever used oil, but did you say you did an oil change recently? It's a really good idea to fill it to the max, run the car for a few minutes, then shut it off for ~10 minutes and check the level again. It will usually appear to drop by ~0.5L (the stick is 0.8L from max to min) as the oil filter gets completely filled etc.

Got some queries for you clever car people :)

My diseasel focus has stopped playing nicely when it comes to starting on cold mornings now, cranks fine but takes ages to fire, I guess that the plugs are shot? Are they just a screw in and out as per sparkplugs?

When I brake hard or accelerate hard I occasionally get a single knock/clunk from the front offside wheel, any suggestions? I had new lower arms, track rods and arb bushes in janurary, possible that a fixing just needs tightening? It doesn't happen on a regular basis, if I brake hard twice in succession it won't clunk the second time, likewise for acceleration; hard acceleration will reset the clunk though if that makes sense?

When hitting wide speed bumps square on I get a creak from the front suspension when it compresses, if I hit them one wheel at a time (skewed) it doesn't happen. The only thing that connects the two sides is the arb, would greasing the bushes help any?

Edited by forteh

Got some queries for you clever car people :)

My diseasel focus has stopped playing nicely when it comes to starting on cold mornings now, cranks fine but takes ages to fire, I guess that the plugs are shot? Are they just a screw in and out as per sparkplugs?

When I brake hard or accellerate hard I occasionally get a single knock/clunk from the front offside wheel, any suggestions? I had new lower arms, track rods and arb bushes in janurary, possible that a fixing just needs tightening?

When hitting wide speed bumps square on I get a creak from the front suspension when it compresses, if I hit them one wheel at a time (skewed) it doesn't happen. The only thing that connects the two sides is the arb, would greasing the bushes help any?

heater plugs ,you can take them out and hook them up to a battery to test them (Y)

Thanks for the info mate, very helpful.

I didn't do an oil change, I just topped it up.

I'm on the hunt for a new engine now - wouldn't be too bad, but I just spent most of my available funds on brakes and suspension.

No worries (Y)

I read that... I guess you bought a full brake system? If you need spares like that in future give me a shout, got loads of bits lying about and if I haven't got it then someone I know will have :)

Shameless copy & paste from Facebook:

OK guys, update time - I just went to see the car. Checked the oil level and it's gone down considerably. Rolled the car backwards and exposed a small puddle of oil, which has accumulated overnight.
Started the car and the loud tapping has reduced to the standard Mazda tapping noise. The exhaust is throwing out blue smoke and it stinks. Around the cam cover, near the back, it's visibly oily and looks like the source of the leak. I have a replacement cam gasket already that I need to fit, but this seems like quite a heavy leak so I'm wondering what else it could be...
Good news is the engine seems OK, I just need to identify and fix the colossal leak.