The Car Thread

MadManMike

Yeah I have a basic strobe but my flywheel has TDC, +10 and -10 markings on it

The timing should be 10 degrees at 1000rpm though according to this: http://www.porsche924-944.nl/manual/Haynes/05_Ignition.htm

Setting the static timing at 10 degrees will be different at 1000rpm due to vacuum/mechanical advance.

Tell me to shut up if you've already done all this ;)

They didn't conciously lower it; it's only 7mm lower than an A3.

Which is because it is 150kg's heavier.

Really? Because every other S/GTI/Sporty VAG model that rolled off the production line has been lower and/or stiffer than its base equivalent since the MK1 Golf...

How is it possibly 150kg heavier than a 1.8T quattro (non-S), and yet still lower?

...Just sayin'.

The timing should be 10 degrees at 1000rpm though according to this: http://www.porsche924-944.nl/manual/Haynes/05_Ignition.htm

Setting the static timing at 10 degrees will be different at 1000rpm due to vacuum/mechanical advance.

Tell me to shut up if you've already done all this ;)

I do it as per the proper Porsche manual with the advance line DC, at idle (950 rpm according to tacho although that's probably not that accurate). I'm probably doing something wrong though... :(

Aaaaaaand another one of Mike's cars is f**ked.

Driving home, sudden loud tapping noise (Louder than the usual, standard MX5 tap). Stopped the car, checked the oil, pretty much nothing left. Topped it up, loud noise still there.

I've parked it up for the night now, miles from home with no idea what to do.

f**k cars.

Probably picked up on a bearing/bearings.

Seen the same done before, we flushed the engine out and fit new main/big end bearings (picked up on both)

Sorted and touch wood the cars been fine ever since. Regular visitor for services/MOTs.

I think from memory we did it without having to remove the engine from the car either.

I had an oil leak a while ago, for instance, and got some good tapping noises. Filled it up to get me home, tapping don't go to start with, but once it'd had some time to circulate it was fine as long as I kept it topped up until I got it sorted properly. How long did you run it after putting the new oil in, before deciding it was worth turning off again?

Idled it for 5 minutes, then drove for about 3 minutes. On idle it sounded ok but was smoking like mad, under load it sounded like a machine gun so I decided to call it a day before totally destroying it.

Being an MX5 it's always had intermittent tapping noises, they all do, but this was amplified rather a lot.

Aaaaaaand another one of Mike's cars is f**ked.

f**k cars.

Don't want to sound like a fanny, appreciate this is a sensitive time, appreciate you have only just got the MX5 and have spent a little bit of money on it, appreciate I might be wrong.

When was the last time you checked the oil? Couple of weeks ago? Thousand miles ago? Yesterday? This morning?

Don't all MX5's have oil temp and pressure gauges in the dash? (May be wrong, new ones do anyway)

In case you don't know pretty much all sporty cars older than about 10 years will use about a litre of oil about every 1000 miles. There are exceptions; I'm sure Rich once owned a Mk2 8V which didn't use a drop of oil for 72,000 miles and so on and so forth. But as a general rule of thumb when I had a car which didn't have an oil level sensor I checked the oil every couple of hundred miles.

So if you haven't checked it for a couple of weeks, welcome to old high mileage cars :(

If you checked it recently; where has it all gone? You WOULD have noticed a litre (that's about what the dipstick reading is) within the last couple of days billowing out the back or dripping into the floor.