The Car Thread

MadManMike

No idea, I may do, might be a good place to get a buyer for the Passat sorted with any luck, I might try and get my mate Ben to come down in his rally car, not sure he'll be up for the fuel bill though!

New engine mounts are going on the Passat tomorrow along with a good service ready for it to be sold. It'll be a shame to see it sold, it's a bloody good car, but I'd rather see it go than the Scirocco.

Edited by RobinJI

No idea when I'll be down next, no real reason for any kind of regular trip. I may head down at some point over Christmas to see the Prawn family and pinch some home-brew, but I don't think I've got any plans other than that. I'll probably be at SOS and other car meets a little more if all goes to plan with the Scirocco, as I'll actually have something worth bringing along.

• Like 2

I've been having a few problems the past few months with the car performing a bit weird, when I blip the throttle it wouldn't react in terms of fuelling, just felt like nothing happened. But it was a bit intermittent, although starting wasn't a problem. However I found this today, the wiring exposed on the camshaft sensor revealing soldered wires? So someone has messed with it before, i'm guessing it has chafed on something cutting the wires and been bodgily fixed. I've just properly taped them up individually and made it look as neat and oem as I can and taken it for a drive and the hesitation when coming out of junctions is gone, the boost gauge neeedle now sweeps smoothly rather than juttering up to 10psi then going smooth.

Was an absolute nightmare in slow moving traffic with the fuelling being so weird, having to rev it like a new driver to get the bite.

My guess is that the exposed bit was touching one of the metal pipe work, probably the fuel line and shorting out?

2012-10-31100909.jpg

Does anyone have a good website where I can read how an automatic gearbox works? I've watched a lot of videos, read wikipedia and a few other articles and I still don't get it. I understand the idea behind planetary gears and ratios, what a brake band does but that's about it. I sort of think I understand how a gearbox like that works until I see this:

Automatic_transmission_cut.jpg

5 clutches, 3 planetary gear sets (or at least that's how many I can see) and that results in 8 speeds + 1 or 2 reverse gears? Shouldn't an 8 speed have 8 planetary gear sets? The clutches presumably lock the outer planetary gear/ring?

Edited by Greetings

Video looks awesome Alex, I love your M3 so much, it makes me sad :( haha.

Something like that event would NEVER happen in the UK though, just the safety side of it, in and out of fences and the like with nothing more than barrier tape?

Looks epic, but england would never allow it sadly :(

Mine's all run in now, did a little pull last night on actuator pressure (15 psi)

Still LOTS more to come :)

I'm a bit dumb when it comes to wheels, so help me out...

My current wheels are: 15", 5x100, ET38

I'm looking at getting something different, but not sure about ET figures - what's the difference in real terms? If I found a set of ET40 for instance, what would that mean? Would they stick out further with a higher ET?

If I found a set of ET40 for instance, what would that mean? Would they stick out further with a higher ET?

ET is the offset, in mm, from the centre of wheel to the face where it fits the against hub.

So - if you currently have ET38 wheels, and you got some ET40s, they would sit 2mm further inwards. If you got some ET28s, they would sit 10mm further out.

With you current ET38 wheels, this means that 'positive offset' on the diagram below measures 38mm:

tech-wheelfit1.gif

Hope that make sense?!

256.5BHP out of a K03s; unholy and also unheard of.

Surely that must drive weird though, with the power tailing off after 4700 rpm?

Surely that must drive weird though, with the power tailing off after 4700 rpm?

Nahh not really, pretty much all 1.8t graphs are like that. It's a characteristic of the engine and tiny turbo.

You tend to drive them like a diesel, changing gear at 5k in pretty much all 1.8t's that are on their stock turbo.

Nahh not really, pretty much all 1.8t graphs are like that. It's a characteristic of the engine and tiny turbo.

You tend to drive them like a diesel, changing gear at 5k in pretty much all 1.8t's that are on their stock turbo.

Only when people are trying to get too much power out of a too small turbo. It's exactly the same characteristic you see from rally-cars running restrictors on the inlet, there's simply not enough area for any-more air-flow and the power stagnates and isn't able to increase as revs do, causing a drop-off in torque. Given the restriction it's good going, and fair play, it's a great demonstration of Nikki's skills but I definitely wouldn't go about trying to replicate it, besides proving a point there really is no point. I'd be curious to see a graph of a 1.8t running ~220bhp on the k03s, as that's my plan with the Scirocco eventually, I'd rather have 220bhp and a lively engine than 240/250 and a car that drives like a diesel ;)

They drive pretty similar by all accounts Robin, have a quick google and you won't find any K03s plots that don't make a significant dive after 5K. I don't see the benefit to having a build up of less power to a short peak at 5500rpm, why not have all the power and torque where you would normally drive and then not bad figures top end. One of the reasons that drop looks so dramatic is because Niki took it to 7300RPM, where as most 1.8t dyno plots stop at 6K because by then they've made peak figures and had a short tun down in power to prove and smooth the graph.

Duty cycle on that turbo is 84% mid range and 90% for peak power, without the WMI Niki says it drops 60lbft and 20bhp.

A graph for a 230bhp K03s looks pretty similar -

RRCD-S55JMV-AGU-KO3S.jpg

Edited by Pashley26

And that's why they need better turbos!

it's the main reason for my change, I wanted something that could pull through the revs, rather than peaking at 4500rpm and dying on it's arse.

here's mine from back in the day:

225bhp290lbftyj1.jpg

HP being a product of torque and revs, peaks so low down because the turbo gives all it can at the bottom end, creating huge torque and thus BHP for the revs, then completely runs out of puff.

Conversely, peak torque on my new setup is at 5800rpm and it pulls like a fecking train at the top end :)

Having had a ko3, and now having a ko4, I would do everything in my power to persuade you to go for a ko4 at the very least.

The power delivery is SO different, its 1000x better with the ko4 (especially when remapped). Can't wait to get my tubular manifold so it can breathe that little bit better.

I reeeeeeaaally want a ride in a decent hybrid/bt setup, just to see what the difference is! Mine is by no means slow, I can't imagine what another 50-100bhp feels like!