The Car Thread

MadManMike

#totallytrue

In all seriousness though; this is the car thread and I do something to my car every day. I should be able to post in here all day long as long as it's car related.

If my enthusiasm offends you then I am sorry, but I remember when this thread was full of people like me.

Edited by Pashley26

I was only talking about bringing Twitter to the car thread. I'm still distraught about someone deleting me off Facebook for a rant about that last week. #sadface

Car related: I very much wanted to go and get a tyre put on my replacement wheel today because I'm still on the spare. My day has run away with me though, and it's only now that I realise it's too late :(

• Like 2

Car things, I did them:

522440_10151234971729855_1884687281_n.jpg

That's the new engine that'll be going into the Scirocco this week. I collected it and a load of bits to fit it yesterday in a 500+ mile road-trip. We're bringing the Scirocco up to the workshop from my dads tomorrow evening then it'll be full steam ahead with the conversion. I'm hoping to have it done by the end of next week.

Edited by RobinJI
  • Like 1

What's that out of? not a 1.8 is it? or an I being a tard?

In my car related-ness Have a Polo 1.4 (6n) and has drums on the back. Going to put the rear beam off a ibiza on some time soon (still up at the breakers) once I have it fitted and bled will I find out that I need the master cylinder off the Ibiza?

I would get the front brakes too but I'll need new wheels!!! :lol:

Yeah it's a 1.8t, out of a Passat originally so it looks a little different to most while it's still assembled with the Passat bits. I've got all the bits I need to turn it around and mount it transversely though, so it should go in relatively easily once I've got the car up here and the old engine out. I'm a little nervous/curious about whether the wiring will go to plan, but it doesn't look like it'll be too bad.

Lowering springs for Leon MK1...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PROSPORT-SEAT-LEON-1-8T-1-9TDi-40mm-LOWERING-SPRINGS-/250888886223?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a6a2497cf

Are these likely to be utter, utter shit?

Can anyone suggest a fairly cheap solution for lowering if these are crap?

I'm confident I can get the wiring going, I'm just worried about delaying things too much. I've got 2 full looms, ECU's and sets of clocks/keys to play with, so should be able to sort something. I've already decoded the wiring plugs and have a theoretical list of what to do with each wire once the car's in front of me. Shouldn't be too bad, but the shear number of wires means the chances of a mistake creeping in are pretty high!

And yeah, there's a hell of a lot more differences than the timing belt covers, but the only ones that matter to me will be corrected when I fit the pile of bits I've got to go on it ;) The fact I'm not sticking it in the right hole for either a Passat/A4 or a Golf/A3 engine means that a lot of the differences don't matter at all, as I'll be adapting things either way.

Lowering springs for Leon MK1...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PROSPORT-SEAT-LEON-1-8T-1-9TDi-40mm-LOWERING-SPRINGS-/250888886223?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a6a2497cf

Are these likely to be utter, utter shit?

Can anyone suggest a fairly cheap solution for lowering if these are crap?

I had a polo on lowered springs, Handled alright I suppose but seemed wallow-y over bumps, for what it was thou it was ok.

Ta tecnics coilies can't be much more?

Scrap that, just ebayd, £159.. check club polo an edition38 forums, second hand coilies seem quite easy to find..

I had a polo on lowered springs, Handled alright I suppose but seemed wallow-y over bumps, for what it was thou it was ok.

Ta tecnics coilies can't be much more?

Scrap that, just ebayd, £159.. check club polo an edition38 forums, second hand coilies seem quite easy to find..

£159 is not too bad - it was more the £400 Jamex ones I was trying to avoid.

What's the life expectancy of the TA's?

I say buy the £179 Jamex coilovers.

They are 10x better than standard springs and shocks, they are super cheap and work perfectly.

Prawn, Seamons and myself have run them on our cars for literally years and 100's of thousands of miles without any issues.

If for some reason (after three years of being on there) mine popped tomorrow I would go out and buy them again in an instant.

Edited by Pashley26

Yep, I've had 4 sets of them so far (4 different cars). They're perfectly reliable and not bad quality at all, I've put ~12k on the ones on the Passat, ~40k on the ones on the Scirocco, ~15k on them on the MX-5 and ~5k on them on my Golf, never had an issue with any. In all cases they've needed the bump-stops trimming because they were too big and restricting wheel travel, but after that they were surprisingly comfy. Enough so that a lot of passengers comment on how they were expecting it to be bumpier considering how low the car is without me even mentioning anything. (I consider 60mm as a slight drop.)

The only real complaints you hear from people about them are that they're "under damped and over sprung" which is usually people running them on the bump-stops because the cars either very low (your golf that's lowered 120mm doesn't ride well? oh no, who would have guessed?) or they've left the bump stops full length with a moderate drop. (Judging from the sets I've owned/fitted if you're going lower than ~40mm, you need to trim the bump-stops to keep any ride quality.)

The other issue you'll come across is that they can be too stiff where the suspension's shared between several cars. For instance my Diesel Passat estate uses the same basic suspension design as a 1.3 mk2 Golf, and if you buy a pair of cheep coilovers for both cars, then it's the same thing in the box, meaning the Passat will waft along smoothly on relatively soft suspension for it's ~1250kg weight, while the Golf will remove your fillings with suspension that might as well be a solid bar considering its ~850kg weight.

In your case, the Leon's one of the heavier cars that uses it's platform so I'd expect it to ride pretty well on them, at a guess it'll be a 'firm' ride, along the lines of modern 'sport' models.

Jardo, you always say I had no issues, lol!

I had 3 sets, and the rear shocks went on all 3 sets (one pair on the way to the 'Ring...messed that trip up, haha!), and one of the fronts went on the last set.

However, saying that, I ran mine VERY low (front helper springs, and rear adjuster platforms removed), so the shocks were constantly at the limit of their travel.

If I were in your position of wanting cheap lowness, I wouldn't hesitate in getting another set. Just don't run them too low, and you will be fine. Even if they do fail, they have a 2 year warrenty, which will see them replaced anyway.