The Car Thread

MadManMike

So, surprise surprise my car's being a fanny again.

Being an old diesel there's always been a bit of turbo lag, but when I was driving home from Leicester last week shit got pretty real. I'd had to drive through a relatively shallow flood, and just after that when I was accelerating in 3rd and 4th when the turbo had kicked in it would occasionally just lose power, and almost feel as though you were just blipping the throttle. It doesn't really do that on/off thing any more when the turbo kicks in, it feels pretty much fine. Below the point where the turbo kicks in it barely accelerates at all though (to the point where when I drove out of my place just now I didn't actually know if I'd be able to get up enough speed to get into 2nd gear properly).

My old car randomly did this once or twice, but it was usually accompanied by billowing smoke, then it would just suddenly sort it's shit out and be fine again. This is doing it completely on it's own - no smoke, no weird noises or anything, just a total lack of power. Has anyone got any suggestions for stuff to check? My Dad knows a guy who runs a garage who's done some work for me before, but I'd rather have a look around myself and see if I can see anything obvious instead of going "This doesn't work, can you find out why?"

The only thing that it did on that journey at the same time was one of the belts slipping a bit. As I was pulling up a hill I heard a sort of squealing belt noise, but just the one time and that was that. I pulled over and had a look and the inside of the engine bay was pretty wet all over, but it's subsequently had a chance to dry out (plus I had to drive an extra hour home after it first started doing it) and it's still doing it.

So, surprise surprise my car's being a fanny again.

Being an old diesel there's always been a bit of turbo lag, but when I was driving home from Leicester last week shit got pretty real. I'd had to drive through a relatively shallow flood, and just after that when I was accelerating in 3rd and 4th when the turbo had kicked in it would occasionally just lose power, and almost feel as though you were just blipping the throttle. It doesn't really do that on/off thing any more when the turbo kicks in, it feels pretty much fine. Below the point where the turbo kicks in it barely accelerates at all though (to the point where when I drove out of my place just now I didn't actually know if I'd be able to get up enough speed to get into 2nd gear properly).

My old car randomly did this once or twice, but it was usually accompanied by billowing smoke, then it would just suddenly sort it's shit out and be fine again. This is doing it completely on it's own - no smoke, no weird noises or anything, just a total lack of power. Has anyone got any suggestions for stuff to check? My Dad knows a guy who runs a garage who's done some work for me before, but I'd rather have a look around myself and see if I can see anything obvious instead of going "This doesn't work, can you find out why?"

The only thing that it did on that journey at the same time was one of the belts slipping a bit. As I was pulling up a hill I heard a sort of squealing belt noise, but just the one time and that was that. I pulled over and had a look and the inside of the engine bay was pretty wet all over, but it's subsequently had a chance to dry out (plus I had to drive an extra hour home after it first started doing it) and it's still doing it.

what car is it?

Unfortunatly not one I'm familiar with. had it serviced recently, any lights on on the dash?.. lamda, maf, cam angle sensors maybe? turbo actuator, fuel pump/filter, blocked cat possibly but I'd expect smoke... its a long check list to be fair, but start with the sensors. Any fuel consumption problems or over heating a little?

Hasn't been serviced recently, no lights. The only thing it has been doing recently is occasionally when you come to a stop there'll be wisps of steam/smoke/something gassy coming out from underneath the front of the bonnet, seemingly originating quite low down by the front of the engine. Thing is it's not rinsing fuel and doesn't really appear to be losing any coolant or oil. When it's doing that the coolant doesn't appear to be too hot either either, and like I said there's no warning light or anything.

Hasn't been serviced recently, no lights. The only thing it has been doing recently is occasionally when you come to a stop there'll be wisps of steam/smoke/something gassy coming out from underneath the front of the bonnet, seemingly originating quite low down by the front of the engine. Thing is it's not rinsing fuel and doesn't really appear to be losing any coolant or oil. When it's doing that the coolant doesn't appear to be too hot either either, and like I said there's no warning light or anything.

Check all the hoses from the intercooler to the egr valve, to the intake. One of them may have a small tear. The mondeo had this, had no power and smoked really badly, turned out the hose to from the intercooler to the egr had a tear in it I couldn't see and was leaking all the boost out

Is it unmarked?

Fully marked this one.

How are they harassing you?

Put a complaint in.

If i go anywhere near it, i'll get tailed to wherever i'm going without fail. They'll turn round if we're on opposite sides of the road and then follow pretty damn close for mile after mile.

I know it doesn't sound that bad, but last night just really f**ked me off - the above happens very frequently (must be a good 10+ times now and i'm not out too often) but last night I got followed down a 40mph stretch from town with them literally hanging on my bumper, could barely see their lights and bumper in my mirror. A car undertook me at a good 50-60 along there before this and they didn't seem to give two shits about that. Came up to a roundabout, i got in lane, they went to go left then pretty rapidly cut across two lanes of traffic and pulled up very close right beside me on the right hand side before slamming the brakes on and then shooting left, almost like they were trying to get a good look at who's driving in the most dangerous way possible or something. I really would rather they just pull me over if they've got some kind of problem with me so I could actually talk to them and find out why they feel the need to do it.

Maybe it's all a co-incidence, but last night really pissed me off - i know i've even got a brake light out so they could've pulled me if they wanted to, just seems like a bored copper trying to wind a young lad in a nice car up. It's always the same white 5 series as well, so it's not like the car's marked and all traffic cars just check on it every now and again, seems really strange.

Edited by Skoze

I had something similar, the same copper pulled me over at least once a month in my first year of driving for "looking too young" and he apparently had no memory of stopping me previously, I used to get stopped going in/out of Reading for the same reason quite often too. If I was too young or I'd gone out for a joy ride don't you think I'd chose something nicer than a city rover?

Fully marked this one.

If i go anywhere near it, i'll get tailed to wherever i'm going without fail. They'll turn round if we're on opposite sides of the road and then follow pretty damn close for mile after mile.

I know it doesn't sound that bad, but last night just really f**ked me off - the above happens very frequently (must be a good 10+ times now and i'm not out too often) but last night I got followed down a 40mph stretch from town with them literally hanging on my bumper, could barely see their lights and bumper in my mirror. A car undertook me at a good 50-60 along there before this and they didn't seem to give two shits about that. Came up to a roundabout, i got in lane, they went to go left then pretty rapidly cut across two lanes of traffic and pulled up very close right beside me on the right hand side before slamming the brakes on and then shooting left, almost like they were trying to get a good look at who's driving in the most dangerous way possible or something. I really would rather they just pull me over if they've got some kind of problem with me so I could actually talk to them and find out why they feel the need to do it.

Maybe it's all a co-incidence, but last night really pissed me off - i know i've even got a brake light out so they could've pulled me if they wanted to, just seems like a bored copper trying to wind a young lad in a nice car up. It's always the same white 5 series as well, so it's not like the car's marked and all traffic cars just check on it every now and again, seems really strange.

Get the reg plate and times then go to your local cop shop and put a harassment complain in. If they still persist on following you like that, just stop. Stop suddenly and quickly. Let them ram you and they get all the blame.

• Like 1

If your car has previously been used in a crime or similar or had any occupents arrested or found to have drugs on board, the police log the car as suspicious on their system, this doesn't change even if ownership does. :( making the car a continous puller

Edited by *gentlydoesit

She doesn't.

The flag is linked with DVLA as part of the ANPR, the flag becomes redundant with an ownership changes but stays in the record of the car.

So the only way a passing panda car could know is if they manually searched for the history of that vehicle. It doesn't auto pop up with a flag for that vehicle, it shows within background notes and to a passing officer it would be recorded as a clean car.

I know this, because I took a car in part exchange which was once targeted in part of an organised crime investigation, that and my company is always buying auction cars with previous history. It's one of the checks and reversals we have to do regularly.

The police are not allowed to use those records as part of the data protection act, for the car to be flagged the owner will have to be part of the investigation.

If the owner changed then the police would have to reinstate the investigation on the vehicle or provide evidence of an ongoing criminal contact to maintain the flag.

Unfortunatly not one I'm familiar with. had it serviced recently, any lights on on the dash?.. lamda, maf, cam angle sensors maybe? turbo actuator, fuel pump/filter, blocked cat possibly but I'd expect smoke... its a long check list to be fair, but start with the sensors. Any fuel consumption problems or over heating a little?

And to help light your way as you stab through the dark suggesting a million things...

Mark, go and unplug the MAF sensor and take it for a drive. This will return the vehicle to a safe preset of fueling tables and will isolate the MAF sensor (most likely cause) as the issue, or remove it from the investigation.

She does

The flag is linked with DVLA as part of the ANPR, the flag becomes redundant with an ownership changes but stays in the record of the car.

So the only way a passing panda car could know is if they manually searched for the history of that vehicle. It doesn't auto pop up with a flag for that vehicle,

this.

She's seen them not like the look of someone, and check the car out. The record is there, and can and will be checked.

Edited by *gentlydoesit

Mark, go and unplug the MAF sensor and take it for a drive. This will return the vehicle to a safe preset of fueling tables and will isolate the MAF sensor (most likely cause) as the issue, or remove it from the investigation.

Only just saw this - I'll give it a pop and see what happens.

I'd actually taken it for a spin just now. I needed to go and pick up a parcel from a courier depot in town so thought I'd see if it could handle it.

Started it up in my drive and it kicked in fine. Went to move off but it just bogged down. Tried again and the revs dropped so low it stalled (skillz). By this point I'd rolled to the end of the drive, so assuming my car had fully shit the bed I tried reversing it back down the drive again. It did this absolutely fine, with no drop of the revs at all. Thought I'd see what it was like in first again, and it was completely back to normal. Drove to the couriers completely fine, as though nothing had happened. Got there, went in to get the parcel, thick c**ts had sent it out again for delivery despite me telling them not to on the phone yesterday (as they don't know where my house is). Came back out, switched on, went to move off and it did the same really slow start thing. However, as soon as it got moving it went back to normal again. When I got back I had to park on the road, and after I had a chance to sort my shit out went out to move the car onto the drive again. Once more, really laboured initial movement but then it went back to normal again.

Intermittent faults can eat all of the dicks.

EDIT: Just had a look on some Rover sites and it seems like it probably is going to be MAF sensor related - cheers for the tip. It's just started lashing it down so that can wait a bit though :P

this.

She's seen them not like the look of someone, and check the car out. The record is there, and can and will be checked.

Why would you even argue with me.

Why doesn't Matt go into the police station and ask if there is any trace on his car or previous crime history. For two reasons.

Number one, it blows your BS theory out the water if there isn't. And two, if there is he can address the situation.

I think, chances are....

The 5-0 just saw a young lad in a 3L Capri and thought the two didn't add up, so they tailed him whilst they did an insurance and ownership check, then realised he is legit and f**ked off.

Probably nothing more serious than that.