Why No Y (Women And Mtb)

Miss-Higgy

Someone gave me the heads up about this, I'm damn sure alot of you will have read it. But i thought I'd stick it up for those that missed it like i did. Makes for really good reading and raises quite a few good point's about females and mountain biking.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Why-No-Y-Mitchell-Scott-2012.html

The main point within it i think actually need's addressing is this stigma that guy's want to ride with guys and girls ride with girl's.. And yeah it has ended up being like that within all discipline's. And if you ask me it's not our choice i know a girl who ride's trials and she don't really ride with her other half because he like's riding with his friends so to make him happy she leaves him to it.

On the other side of the coin my other half seem's to always want me out riding with him, if i can't be bothered one day he end's up not going (hence why 90% of the time to save argument i end up going). I have always rode bike's and before meeting my other half i generally did ride with other girl's and the guy's were off being general men wanting to do the massive hill's and drop off's while we were more happy chilling down the slow walking path's and avoiding certain jump's.

And if people do want more girl's to ride bikes then we need to be made to feel a little more welcome, I wouldn't say i have had any bad experiences with other riders but i'm still quite fresh to it all. Some of the other girl's have some right horror story's witch i think we are a little too quick to share, and this can put new rider's off. But if guy's didn't for some reason believe it's a men's sport then there would be more female's riding.

Quick question to everyone, why do i seem to be the only active girl on here that post's. Admittedly i'm very slow so i have probably missed some of the snide comment's or miss read them as a compliment and yes there can be some complete knob head keyboard warriors on here, but there's some really cool people too.

Shit stick's and people only remember the bad. And I'm very sorry that this post has turned into a complete rant!

Because girls are rubbish? :giggle:

I don't know why there doesn't seem to be as many girls riding as boys. Maybe they avoid forums as there is a lot of hassle with some guys thinking they are better than girls. Some people may be embarrassed if they see a girl riding better than them so might resort to nastiness to feel better about themselves due to stereotypes.

I personally haven't seen any harassment either on this forum or out in the real world, but I am under no illusions - it does happen and it's not nice.

Is that called 'Why No Y' based on chromosomes? That's be wrong, women don't have y chromosomes and based on this error I don't think I'll read it.

But I just don't think that mountain biking appeals to many girls in the same way that sewing doesn't appeal to me. That's probably stereotyping but I'd imagine the male/female ratio would be similar.

See it shouldn't be about girl's are as good as or better than boys. I'm not in the sport to prove anything I'm quite happy to stick with the scaled down stuff, and i don't think other girls will think like that in the sport. If they do then they have been forced to be like that.

We do have to accept that men will be better at aspects of any major physical sport.

I also have to admit having read the article out to a few friends i think it does just remain that girls don't really take part in any sport where it can result in broken nails, scars and dirt! :P

LOL!! I thought the same about the article and he does rant on about poo for alot of the time...!

Awesome, lets kick a start sexual equality by focusing solely on one sex. High five for that shit.

I used to race, train, ride and regularly get my arse kicked by women. There is a roaring scene for women in biking, down here in the South West I would see almost as many female riders as I do male, and most of them kick arse.

Stupid things like this do nothing to build the image of female riders and help bring them onto the same level as men, in fact they just distance them further from male riders because we wouldn't want to be associated with gay stuff like this.

Female riders will never be able to compete with male riders within the same rankings, because the equiv' elite rider will has far more build, strength, stamina and energy than the female. It is only natural, it isn't a bad thing but it is just the way it is.

Actual riders don't see a male/female divide in terms of respect, talent, involvement or importance to the sport, people who read MBUK on the other hand do.

/input from me.

Edited by Pashley26

Awesome, lets kick a start sexual equality

I got this far before I realised I was reading a Jardo post, and thus there was no point in reading it because he's obviously right. He's forgotten more about having a Y chromosome than I know.

Oh wait, what I actually mean is that really 'clever' start to a sentence doesn't make sense.

Oh, and that discussion in the car thread hadn't finished, you just chose to ignore my post.

i wouldn't be bothered about riding trials with the females at all! but any kind of real biking with a women is hell they stop at every twig in the way and a fun hour or so route becomes an all day bore-fest

i just don't think trials at-least interests many women if it did they certainly wouldn't give a damn what us men thought they don't about anything else lol

not women bashing honest!

Edited by old'scoolfool

I got this far before I realised I was reading a Jardo post, and thus there was no point in reading it because he's obviously right. He's forgotten more about having a Y chromosome than I know.

Oh wait, what I actually mean is that really 'clever' start to a sentence doesn't make sense.

Oh, and that discussion in the car thread hadn't finished, you just chose to ignore my post.

It does make sense, I could potentially have worded it a bit better but my point still stands. You can forgive a post made gone midnight after much G&T for some poor wording can't you? Did you even bother to read the rest of the post? The fact you haven't commented on it makes me think you did and probably agree. So are you just commenting to cause an argument?

And yup, I ignored it because it wasn't going anywhere and despite what some people think I couldn't be arsed to argue with you about how much of a cock you think I am. Feel free to strike the conversation up in this thread because it is also shit and going nowhere, but keep it out of the car thread.

Edited by Pashley26

There's a lot of talk about girls riding with their boyfriends. Not with their other friends (girlriends or just mates). If riding is something a few girls do with their boyfriends to humour them / take an interest then it'll never take off. Having said that I reckon there's something in the mentality of riding bikes that appeals to men but not to women. There's quite a few women who ride XC and DH, I think people can see the 'point' of those disciplines. Whereas I know my girlfriend just thinks trials / freeride / DJ are all pointlessly showing off.

I don't really care. As old'schoolfool says, having a girlfriend that rides isn't necessarily as life-changingly awesome as a lot of people imagine.

I wonder if there's a similar thread on knitting-and-hobbycraft-forum.co.uk about why no men are into sewing.

It does make sense, I could potentially have worded it a bit better but my point still stands. You can forgive a post made gone midnight after much G&T for some poor wording can't you? Did you even bother to read the rest of the post? The fact you haven't commented on it makes me think you did and probably agree. So are you just commenting to cause an argument?

And yup, I ignored it because it wasn't going anywhere and despite what some people think I couldn't be arsed to argue with you about how much of a cock you think I am. Feel free to strike the conversation up in this thread because it is also shit and going nowhere, but keep it out of the car thread.

No, that first sentence doesn't make sense. No I didn't read the rest of the post, mainly because you clearly weren't reading what I was writing in the car thread - I was actually saying that I thought you probably weren't a cock, but my god do you come across as one here.

Ultimately, you clearly dont care for rationale, logic and people giving a toss and trying to help you out, so you're gonna become the first person I've ever blocked on here. That's through pure frustration at how closed your ears are.

Having said that I reckon there's something in the mentality of riding bikes that appeals to men but not to women. There's quite a few women who ride XC and DH, I think people can see the 'point' of those disciplines. Whereas I know my girlfriend just thinks trials / freeride / DJ are all pointlessly showing off.

I don't really care. As old'schoolfool says, having a girlfriend that rides isn't necessarily as life-changingly awesome as a lot of people imagine.

I wonder if there's a similar thread on knitting-and-hobbycraft-forum.co.uk about why no men are into sewing.

I actually know alot of guy's who sew, and are heterosexual.. lol

I know damn well having your partner to ride with isn't life changing it adds something extra to argue about if anything...

And i don't get where the idea of dirt jump trials etc is showing off? It's way more than just that.

No, that first sentence doesn't make sense. No I didn't read the rest of the post, mainly because you clearly weren't reading what I was writing in the car thread - I was actually saying that I thought you probably weren't a cock, but my god do you come across as one here.

Ultimately, you clearly dont care for rationale, logic and people giving a toss and trying to help you out, so you're gonna become the first person I've ever blocked on here. That's through pure frustration at how closed your ears are.

You'll get intrigued and unblock me, I know you will. That's what happened to me when I blocked you.

Pull your head out of your arse Jason, I don't know what gives you the impression that you can lecture me and take the moral high-ground over wether I am or am not a cock. As far as I am aware we have never had a falling out, so ctfo and stop saying things which don't need to be said by you.

My cousins missus basically said she doesn't see the point in riding trials, though this comes from the same mentality of "oh I feel so fat, lets sit and eat a load of unhealthy crap which will obviously make me feel better"??!!

Quick question to everyone, why do i seem to be the only active girl on here that post's.

I've been on this forum 5-6 years now, and there's always been one and only one active female poster. Once another female comes along, the previous one disappears. Before you there was Hannah, before her there was that one girl that Simon got into, and the before her there was Char and then my memory gets a little hazy and I've probably missed a couple.

Generally the females come on here and get a lot of attention from the forum because they're female, and then just get bored and wander off when another female starts posting. While they're posting they usually acquire a bike and never really get into it before disappearing.

There are exceptions of course, possibly yourself who knows we'll see a few months down the line ^_^ and Nadine who as far as I can tell is the only serious female trials rider who's ever regularly posted on the forum.

With regards to the article, it seemed totally pointless and should have been left to an actual female rider. Seemed that the guy didn't really know where he was going with it all and just used the word dude over and over again until I couldn't read anymore.

Talking about percentage of riders is too broad. 10%-30% of riders are female? Highly doubt that, but then again it depends on what you refer to as mountain biking. Riding along a smooth flat trail on a 200 pound bike, is that mountain biking? Or flying along trials at 25mph on a 1500 pound bike? I think if I stood at a local proper bike trail, I'd be surprised if more than 1 in 50 riders were female. But if I stood at a general family trail, the numbers would be very different.

Female not getting into mountain biking hasn't got anything to do with attitudes towards the sport, it's solely about females being females. It's not in a females nature to fly down a trail getting caked in mud and risking injury. That's it, end of discussion. It's not because they can't find other females to ride with, it's not because there's no female specific parts (not that there really needs to be in the first place) it's just the same as there's not many male ballet dancers, loads in the top levels, but in the general population they're a tiny percentage.

• Like 2

I've always wondered why people on here think that would be a good thing. Only way I could see that working for me would be if she was an awesome mechanic.

I've been on this forum 5-6 years now, and there's always been one and only one active female poster. Once another female comes along, the previous one disappears. Before you there was Hannah, before her there was that one girl that Simon got into, and the before her there was Char and then my memory gets a little hazy and I've probably missed a couple.

Generally the females come on here and get a lot of attention from the forum because they're female, and then just get bored and wander off when another female starts posting. While they're posting they usually acquire a bike and never really get into it before disappearing.

There are exceptions of course, possibly yourself who knows we'll see a few months down the line ^_^ and Nadine who as far as I can tell is the only serious female trials rider who's ever regularly posted on the forum.

With regards to the article, it seemed totally pointless and should have been left to an actual female rider. Seemed that the guy didn't really know where he was going with it all and just used the word dude over and over again until I couldn't read anymore.

Talking about percentage of riders is too broad. 10%-30% of riders are female? Highly doubt that, but then again it depends on what you refer to as mountain biking. Riding along a smooth flat trail on a 200 pound bike, is that mountain biking? Or flying along trials at 25mph on a 1500 pound bike? I think if I stood at a local proper bike trail, I'd be surprised if more than 1 in 50 riders were female. But if I stood at a general family trail, the numbers would be very different.

Female not getting into mountain biking hasn't got anything to do with attitudes towards the sport, it's solely about females being females. It's not in a females nature to fly down a trail getting caked in mud and risking injury. That's it, end of discussion. It's not because they can't find other females to ride with, it's not because there's no female specific parts (not that there really needs to be in the first place) it's just the same as there's not many male ballet dancers, loads in the top levels, but in the general population they're a tiny percentage.

I thought that was a bit weird how hannah stopped posting just before or after i arrived on here. Nadine don't even log in any more, too many childish people. And i do have to agree in place's. But I'm a bit of a childish person myself... And I'm defiantly not on here for attention off other rider's, as most know i have a boyfriend and I'm on here for spare part's video's and occasional conversation as i've met a fair few decent people on here. And they are defiantly few and far between in the world :P

Does it count I had a bike before posting, ok not a proper trials bike at that point but i was building one.

I think your right with it generally not being in our nature to fly down dirt trails at 25mph. It's not my idea of fun although it is a good adrenaline rush, and that's why i'd have a go but it not my type of discipline as the risk factor is massive.

And yeah i do agree that a guy probably shouldn't have bothered to write that, and us girl's don't want to make a massive issue about it, although i probably appear to be doing so.. LOL

With trials it's not as bad as long as you stick to small thing's witch i do.. lol

• 3 weeks later...

The article is pretty bad IMO.

Trials has less females than possibly any other mtb discipline. I don't think it has much to do with the perceived danger or risk of injury, freediving and climbing have loads of women, they are still male dominated sports but there are significant numbers of women doing these sports.

Maybe street trials doesn't always have the best image (I've seen quite a few riders drop litter etc) that might not attract women to the sport, perhaps the comp scene is more appealing.

Also the less women who do a sport, the less are inspired to take it up (less role models, less riders to push each other on etc).

Edited by Rebelistic

GIRLS CANT RIDE BIKES!!

like the motor trade.... they should stay out of it!

Well that's gonna encourage them. IMO that's exactly the sort of thing that will put ladies off, might just be banter for you but for others it might be intimidating.

• Like 1

I tend to ignore the stuff like above comments it just goes over my head. But it is a valid point. One thing i've learn is you have to be determined and committed to learn trials. You also can have things like nice nails, perfectly str8end hair due to wearing a helmet, it's also quite un flattering and i've noticed girls sneering at me for riding a bike with no seat :P

There are very few factors to push women to ride unless their partners are into said discipline. I didn't know what a trials bike was untill i met my other half and probably never would have got one and learn to use it a little..

And at the end of the day most guys like to ride with other guys and see cycling as a mans sport and that will never change. So on that basis it is better that we just leave you guys to it and get on with it ourselves :P

Tidy

The article is pretty bad IMO.

Trials has less females than possibly any other mtb discipline. I don't think it has much to do with the perceived danger or risk of injury, freediving and climbing have loads of women, they are still male dominated sports but there are significant numbers of women doing these sports.

Maybe street trials doesn't always have the best image (I've seen quite a few riders drop litter etc) that might not attract women to the sport, perhaps the comp scene is more appealing.

Also the less women who do a sport, the less are inspired to take it up (less role models, less riders to push each other on etc).

This

I tend to ignore the stuff like above comments it just goes over my head. But it is a valid point. One thing i've learn is you have to be determined and committed to learn trials. You also can have things like nice nails, perfectly str8end hair due to wearing a helmet, it's also quite un flattering and i've noticed girls sneering at me for riding a bike with no seat :P

There are very few factors to push women to ride unless their partners are into said discipline. I didn't know what a trials bike was untill i met my other half and probably never would have got one and learn to use it a little..

And at the end of the day most guys like to ride with other guys and see cycling as a mans sport and that will never change. So on that basis it is better that we just leave you guys to it and get on with it ourselves :P

queers

Girls can ride bikes all they want, and they may or may not do it better than me, I don't care. What I do care about though is that I ride with just the bro's. That is because when we ride it's usually to get away from the wives and talk shit about the whips they crack on us, and to blow off steam.