The Motorbike Thread

Si-man

Haha, good lad. What about insurance?

I was out on my brother's bike today (my old MZ). Such a heap of shite haha. It's running pretty badly and feels like it's making about 5bhp. He reckons it's a weak spark, think I agree.

I snapped a bolt on it :P

The gear pedal has a fair amount of play in it so I tightened it and it sheared. I managed to get it out using some wd40 and by drilling a hole in it and using a needle file to grip it and unwind it. Relieving!

I've got a picture too.

7a2657c5302e30a1ffca74cdd81e925a_zpsdd9f

• Like 1

Looks like a sweet ride mate :). exhaust looks shagged though? How are the forks under the gaitors? Have heard a few horror stories of pitted to feck tubes and knackered seals being hidden under gaitors.

In other news, booked my theory test today, got a month to wait though :(.

Ben

Hi I am coming up to 17 and have recently got myself a job.

I am looking for a 125 to get me back a forth each day (5days a week)

Looking for general advise on 125's, I am looking for something a above 2000. willing to pay up to £2000

Would like something Japanese. Reliability is a big key,

So what is the 125 to go for ?

Andrew

Edited by Rowlly21

CG125, pretty uninspiring, bombproof reliability (you could probably run the engine with sand instead of oil and it would be ok!*) and dirty cheap to tax/run.

Or go if the budget stretches, something like a yam wr125 or dt125, depends on whether you prefer 2 or 4 stroke - 2 stroke will give you more bang for your buck.

I suggest the off road bikes over the sports/race style bikes because you can get away with more mistakes without binning it and when you do inevitably bin it, you wont be forking out loads for fairings/bodywork :)

*may or may not be true.

Edited by forteh

CG125, pretty uninspiring, bombproof reliability (you could probably run the engine with sand instead of oil and it would be ok!*) and dirty cheap to tax/run.

"Pretty uninspiring" means the only bike I've ever ridden where I've wished I was at home while riding on decent roads in July in perfect weather. :P Seriously you'll regret it after about 10 miles.

They're the Nissan Micra of the motorcycle world. Great on paper but like f**k do you want to spend time near one.

If you have £2k to spend, I'd look at one of these and keep some spare money! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171044645805

If it were me with £2k to spend I'd go for a KTM 125 Duke: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KTM-125-DUKE-12-2012-12-reg-8-407-miles-10-months-warranty-fully-serviced-/140984872169?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item20d35a6ce9

Lovely little things. Probably not as pokey as the DT but less likely to implode after a few hundred miles.

Since when has a DT125 been unreliable haha? I thought they were always based on the RD125LC engine, which is possibly the most reliable 2 stroke 125 road bike engine ever? (Apart from maybe the MZ125 I used to have, they really are bulletproof).

A cg125 is better than no bike at all ;)

Aye, pretty sure the DT's are known for being pretty reliable, keep on top of the 2smoke oil and you shouldn't have issues!

Forgotten about the 125 dukes, lovely looking thing but could be expensive to fix if you bin it, I guess there won't be so many 2ns hand parts floating around. That said, if ktm were sensible and used standard design mx type plastics they are designed to be tough, cheap and easily replaceable - have a look into the price of replacement panels :)

edit: looking at that duke listing, it's already gone down on the RH side, the black plastic tank is scraped and the orange shroud has been replaced, I'm guessing that it would probably be pretty cheap to repair.

Edited by forteh

I'd honestly rather use public transport than have to own a CG haha. I honestly hate them that much. It's a well tested hatred though, I've done at least 250 miles during my time with the instructor on 2/3 different CGs.

If you're on a bus/train you can read MCN or TMX, and look at pictures of proper bikes.

Some interesting points here.

I like the KTM Duke a lot but they are rather expensive,

CG125 seems to be the most relievable but a piece of shit to ride ?

What if I where to ask about the Yamaha YBR 125 ?

There to many to choose from and people can not agree on a single bike.

Andrew