The Motorbike Thread

Si-man

Congratulations!

Round two of my MOT tomorrow. It failed on a rear suspension bush having too much play, some cocksmoker had taken the m10 bolt out and put an m7 one in. No wonder it failed... There was a couple of other dicks things like I covered the rear reflector with my L plate, and it needed rear foot pegs for all those passengers I'm going to carry illegally.

That's weird, possibly because it's a supermoto they overlook the fact that they came with pillion capacity from the factory - it means that I don't technically need a chain guard either. They also came with indicators as standard but it has passed at least 4 tests without them (the switchgear is also removed) and one of those was with a pretty anal tester who failed it on other little things!

My ER6 failed it's MOT this morning but only on the rear tyre being just (if at all) on the illegal side. They've ordered the tyre in and should have it sorted by Monday.

Remember on my second bike being warned about the tread, decided it was time for a change when the metal bead started poking through. :$

Lol, It's definitely squared off and low in the middle but I don't reckon the police would've been bothered if they'd pulled me. Need to get back in touch with Crescent today as I forgot to ask about the retest. Planning on just taking the bare wheel in to get the tyre fitted but then don't know if I need to return with the bike for the retest or whether they can do it without seeing the bike again.

Anyone know how I go about registering a bike for the road? Thinking of starting moto trials again and it would double as a handy run around for work (a mile or two over the tops). Looking at a Txt250 but its not currently road registered. Halp please?

It's not too bad really, it just depends how bad your dvla centre is and if you can find an mot place that understands that it's a trials bike.

You'll need a certificate of newness, dealers will be able to sort you with one. An mot based on frame number and insurance on frame number too. Take it all to a dvla office and you should be good to go.

I did a CBT a year ago and my practical test with a view to doing Direct Access to category A.

My bike history is that I was riding trials bikes 20+ years ago, I've ridden competitions, MX bikes, and done a few thousand miles on the roads in Asia where licensing isn't a problem. I've always ridden manual bikes, and have 13 years of driving experience etc etc. So riding bikes for me is like second nature. I passed the CBT with no issues, whilst half the class were demoted to automatic scooters because they kept doing stupid sh't. A few of them I don't know how they passed, but they did.

When I asked the instructor what next for cat A, he pointed to their package course advert which was a ton of money in lessons which I don't believe I need. I know most people think they're better than they are, but I've always been honest with myself - I had lots of car lessons when I was 18/19. But bikes... I dunno, it's just my thing, and riding in Asian cities you learn all about lifesaver glances, clutch control, etc, etc.

So... given the tests, should I be ok with doing the Mod 1, then having a few lessons and trying Mod 2? Should a good school be ok with this? When I'd gone for the CBT, an older guy who worked there said they'd assess me, but he ended up taking the other half of the class, and the guy who took my half just seemed to be about getting money out of me. I'm tempted to go to a different place and ask them instead.

Any thoughts? This won't be until December as I'm out of the UK right now, but I could do with my full licence for next year.

I was in a similar situation in that I had my car licence and rode trials bikes for years.

I did the theory test myself using free online content and then did cbt with a local bike school. The instructor said I'd pretty much passed within 5 minutes but needed to hang about.

If heard the company was a bit demanding and costly but once the manager found out I wanted to do my full test it was real bad. For the simplest basic training they wanted £750 just for mod 1 and 2 and wanted me to sign up there and then. I left and rung up another bike school which was a fella that did it himself and I could tell wasn't gunna muck me about.

He was really good. Helped me out a lot, it was £400 for the basic training and tests and I ended up having a lot of lessons for that price. I failed first time for being a nervous wreck and he charged me an extra £125 for the retest which wasn't bad at all considering I think £70 of that is to book the test.

In summary I advise you find a small bike school or sole bike trainer and get them to understand your situation.

Set me back £520 inc both tests and a days training before each. That was with insurance, bike hire etc. The place i did it with were really cool as they split the payment, so you pay £220 for the mod1 training, test etc and then £300 for the mod2 training, test etc.

Ben

CBT is pretty hard to fail as it's not a test. It's only classed as training so I'm not even sure if it's possible to fail training.

Can't remember how much I paid for the Direct Access course, I know I saved loads by phoning around. If you're anywhere near Oxford then go to Lightning pass, great instructors and the cheap course costs were shocking!

Well, I know the courses have all changed in the last year or so so I'm not sure what costs will be involved now.

As far as I'm aware you still need to pass the cbt and be certified to say that you have done so in order to ride on L plates, it's all changed since I did mine 17 years ago!

In related news, my bike is now fully serviced, electrical issues cleared up, headlight lens remounted into the cowl with some new hand fabricated brackets so it is now better adjustable; need to replace a rocker cover o-ring gasket (it's blowing a little oil out of the front over the pipes :D ) but mostly other than that it is ready for test.

Going to be interesting to see if it passes the mot with the headlight though. It is a non handed dipped beam lamp so that it isn't technically legal for UK use without masking it (which annihilates the light output), figured out that all you need to do to create the dipped beam is rotate the bulb about 15° in the housing. As it's located in the housing by a couple of tangs sitting in slots all that is needed is 5 minutes with a stanley knife, hopefully I have rotated it enough, if not then I shall have to add some more slots in there till it's right :)

Also fitted it with a 55w H4 rather than the 35W H4 that the plastic lens is intended to be used with, never put the bigger lamp in because of stories of people melting the lenses from the additional heat. Did a 5 minute full beam stationary burn test in still air yesterday (inside the shed so no cooling wind) and the lens temperature didn't top 95°C, polycarbonate max working temperature is about 120ish so all being well as long as I don't stay still on a roasting hot day with the full beam on it should be ok - generally if I know I'm only riding in daylight I take the headlight off and put the carbon number board on for pimpness :D

Before all this mod1 & 2 stuff I found a family run school, they charged £200 (or similar) for as many lessons you needed and even chucked in my CBT retest which they just gave me the certificate on the first day. Advise is shop around and find a smaller company or kind riders who just want to help :) (remember like on at the school I went to there were women who had never ridden before and had been going along for months on end without ever being near test ready). If you have people around who have done the mod1 and 2 thing then just go out riding with them and get them to give you pointers. Its not rocket science but there are small things you need to know to pass your test. For example (not sure if this is right now) for an emergency stop the instructors want to see 4 finger breaking, a down change, no locking up and then pull over to the side of the road afterwards.

Dont know where you will be but I think this is the place to go in Essex.

http://www.cpandrmotorcycletraining.co.uk/

Run by volunteers.... nice guys