The Motorbike Thread

Si-man

Use aluminium bar bashguards on the bike, no plastic shields (mainly because I don't have any! :P ) and they have saved my fingers on a couple of occasions - motorway sized traffic cones round an island, clipped it a bit close and knocked the cone over, bloody heavy they are as well if you've ever tried pushing one over!

Also protect my brake lever, when you have a magura 190 master cylinder you don't want it snapped! :D

Bear in mind that all plastic hand guards typically won't protect your levers all that well in the event of an off, they tend to get twisted round the bars. Best getting some with the solid bar running through them, that way you have to bend the bars to get to the lever.

2013-09-15_15-34-10_500.jpg

In other news I spent some time in the shed yesterday with hacksaw, files and stainless tube to knock together a mock up of the link pipe to suit my new can :)

2013-09-15_15-33-17_253.jpg

2013-09-15_15-34-41_383.jpg

The wood is to keep it held in line and should be a straight section of tube :)

Edited by forteh

Use aluminium bar bashguards on the bike, no plastic shields (mainly because I don't have any! :P ) and they have saved my fingers on a couple of occasions - motorway sized traffic cones round an island, clipped it a bit close and knocked the cone over, bloody heavy they are as well if you've ever tried pushing one over!

Also protect my brake lever, when you have a magura 190 master cylinder you don't want it snapped! :D

Bear in mind that all plastic hand guards typically won't protect your levers all that well in the event of an off, they tend to get twisted round the bars. Best getting some with the solid bar running through them, that way you have to bend the bars to get to the lever.

Yeah, +1 on that- I've used various plastic ones but much prefer the idea of ones with a bit of a backbone!

Currently got the Bike-It ones (although the ally's gone black since this pic):

dsc06150large.jpg

The ccm looks sweet, Wish i could have a second bike like that to mess around on. ill defo be getting ones with the metal bar though now youve said, looking at sw-motechs but pretty pricy at £130

Nice. What pads did you go for? I'm still on EBC HH's on mine and were definitely more bitey (although a bit noisier) than stock.

Same pads iv gone for :) Seems like the best for money wise, The standard pads now feel shocking being pretty low.

ZX9-R chaps, someone I work with is selling one fairly cheap soon.

This isn't the exact one, but it;s the same model/colour...

zx9r_3.jpg

Image no worky. Shame my insurance is still holding out on giving me money (liability still in dispute) otherwise I'd be quite interested!

Ben

Well, I'll be selling incredibly cheap for a few reasons...

It's classed as a right off, and it's an import. I bought it for £850 but reckon I'll only be looking at about £500 back for it. The bloke who sold it to me thought it had done 35k miles, but actually it's in Km not miles :giggle:

Here's the latest pic taken on the weekend!

644243_10152183924274307_1070093435_n.jp

Interesting. How does it being a write off/import effect the insurance?

Ben

It doesn't I don't think. I'm paying more than I was for the 1000 but that's because I changed my policy mid term again. The write off definitely doesn't effect it, and the import thing I doubt because it was first registered in the UK.

Also, being written off was only because the bloke damaged the fairings. There was no structural damage as such, just a few scratches.

I guess it depends on what you're after in terms of handling. I bought mine new in 2006 and have done ~32k miles on it and will be honest that I haven't ridden many other bikes (TDR125>GS500>ER6) and although it is a budget bike, with non adjustable suspension etc. it's a really nice general purpose bike. I've occasionally thought about changing it but to be perfectly honest I would only be doing that for the sake of it. It's plenty fast enough for the roads, can be used daily without ever needing to worry about anything, still looks incredibly clean for a 7 year old bike that certainly isn't a dry day only bike and I just really like it still!

Suzuki TL1000S what are people's thoughts on them? I know about the rotary damper on the back and I'll budget to get that changed, is there any pit falls I should be aware of?

Never rode one personally but they do have a reputation "slapper" for being a bit of a hand full, not sure how much truth there is in the actual tank slapper part?

Not sure your experience of riding bikes? but having rode other V-twin machines they are not always for the faint hearted and not as forgiving as a standard four cylinder machine, but do have there advantages of engine braking, loads of torque etc!

I think there is a forum for them - Tlzone or something similar? Although im sure you will only get bias opinions speaking to other TL owners :wink:

I've had a few bikes, biggest was a zx6r. I've never ridden a twin cylinder machine before, only singles and inline fours.

If possible i would see if you can have a ride on a big V-twin before parting with your cash, they are certainly not everyone's cup of tea!

Its not that they are any faster or even more powerful its just the way the engine puts the power down and when you shut off can be much more aggressive than anything you would have experienced on the average 600 inline four.

Hope this helps a little.