Bears

Rob.

High powered rifle usually works?

And as previously mentioned the wolf thing is being done in lots of places (in Germany I think and definitely the states) and they're having trouble controlling how successful they are. in yosemite people are campaigning for a cull already!

• Like 1

No.

If it is a black bear, climb a tree, if it is a brown bear play dead.

Bear survival 101.

If you see a bear, talk to the bear. Make sure he sees you. Hold you arms high above your head. this will make you look like a much bigger animal to him. Continue to talk and slowly back away. If you run he will chase you.

If the bear comes for you, climb a tree or drop to a fetal position. Cover you head and neck with your hands. Keep on your pack to protect your back. Even if the bear bites you continue to play dead. Once he realizes that you are not a threat he may leave. If he does not stop, fight back and make as much noise as possible.

Both right to a point.

The theory is that you stand your ground and talk in a level but commanding voice to show it you're not scared. Best bet however is not to come into contact in the first place, hence bear bells and making noise as you go when walking in Canada etc.

No.

If it is a black bear, climb a tree, if it is a brown bear play dead.

Bear survival 101.

If I am unlucky enough to come face to face with a bear next month in Canada and I survive using one of these techniques I will buy you both beer.

Do you think throwing a 40lb downhill bike at them and then running in the opposite direction would also work?

In bear related awesomeness here is a bear 'skiing' :lol:

[media=]

If I am unlucky enough to come face to face with a bear next month in Canada and I survive using one of these techniques I will buy you both beer.

Do you think throwing a 40lb downhill bike at them and then running in the opposite direction would also work?

In bear related awesomeness here is a bear 'skiing' :lol:

[media=]

I went to whistler a few years ago, never knew what it really was and not really a mountain biker but borrowed a downhill bike and it was amazing! Anyway on the ski/bike lift up there was a few black bears on the mountain. Bit scary but it's that big you have a small chance of coming across them.

on a serious note now, how come we dont have animals like bears, tigers and your average killer animals in the UK like you do else where?

Lots of reasons but I'd guess that mainly because we're an island and if they weren't here when Britain split off from the mainland (Pangea or whatever) then they weren't about to swim to join us. Combine that with ice ages and the wrong climate and anything that was here died off a long time ago either due to climate reasons or hunting.

I was camping in California a couple of years ago and saw both bears and wolves. Scared the shit out of me if Im honest. Having lived in the UK all my life I had no idea what to do if I was approached by one.

We camped in the Sequoia National Park and were told we were safer in the tent than the car. Every camping pitch had a bear cage to stash your food in so they couldn't get at it. In the middle of the night we heard something smashing f**k out of this bear cage. I got dressed and legged it to the car, didn't sleep much after that!

Also heard wolves howling near Bakersfield, they weren't anywhere near us but it was such a creepy noise. Didn't sleep much that night either.