Dear Trials Forum

Dave Anscombe

I can partly agree to some of the comments here. I'm pretty new to the Trials scene, but I've learnt LOOOADS from here no doubt about it. But it feels like some people tend to rather then help people, use negative sarcastic, just to get likes. Which I think may be the reason why this forum is decreasing in members and posts. And yeah I'm in that 'younger cocksure generation with less respect' but that doesn't enterily mean that ALL the teenagers are dicks, right? I might be younger than almost every rider/member onto here, but I don't think people should 100% judge me after my age. Which some of them do.

My mate looked at this forum a while ago, and he didn't wan't to join it because of the arguements and peoples negative sarcastic 'like me' comments etc. I sometimes don't want to comment on stuff, just to avoid being jumped on at.

Why can't we keep this forum relative friendly, and 'dick' some where else?

Im out!

• Like 1

I guess technically I'm also in this, 'younger cocksure generation with less respect' group. But I believe that it is besides the point what age people are, it's clear that age is irrelevant and arguments form because of people being sarcastic and or aggressive not because the person behind the screen is younger. Leading by example and all that jazz means this forum is destined for the bin..

Although since I've joined I have noticed that gradually there's less posts, much less banter as everyone is ready to jump on any argument they can. So although this thread is true, it's not really necessary as it's clearly sparked an argument.. some irony there, I feel.

I will re-iterate this once more...."not just limited to trials, you'd find many kids the same age as you who are good people".

I am generalising. There are pricks my age, there are pricks under your age, it is my opinion that there are a number of them (of all ages) who ruin it for others and cause the many rifts on here.

The rifts come from the naivety of some who are unable to accept trials for its ventures into moves not considered 'pure' and vice versa.

It's clearly the lack of Smileys, look how horrible words can look cheery with a smiley...

Cot death. :)(Y)

It's hard to pick up on someone's mood from just text, someone who's being cheeky might come across as being antagonistic. Away from a computer I'm a cheeky wind-up merchant, but on the internet that can often come across as genuine ass-holery.

I don't think it has much to do with age though.

• Like 8

To try and simplify people's disagreements into wheelsize issues is missing the point. That's no different to suggesting that I don't get along with person X because they have a blue car. Your bike doesn't define your personality or how you act towards other people, and if you allow yourself to become defined by what you own you're doing life wrong.

No its just how i am.....

Exactly. Your attitude sucks which gets you into those situations.

Now you´re just trying to be smartass aren´t you?LOL

And again, no he wasn't- it was a serious point and one that I can see exactly where Dan is coming from with.

I completely agree with the whole younger generation (not all but the apparent majority) having little or no respect for anyone or anything. From what I can tell it seems to be spawned from an element of society who have no concept of how to bring up their kids, which is compounded by teachers not being allowed to discipline the little shits or have the time to instil any values in them which should've been part of their upbringing but never happened.

As an example, we have a small area of Northshore with a pump track in the local woods. Now I would like to think that any kid who enjoys biking and wants to get into that sort of thing properly would be fairly nice and well brought up (they've chosen to do something rather than stand on a street corner being dicks to the public) but the number of times I've gone up there and the place is covered in litter is unreal. Simple things like that which show they have no respect for the effort people have gone to to get something like that area and no respect for their surroundings. Then you see someone driving along and chucking a fag end out their car window or some litter or whatever with kids in the back and you understand immediately where it comes from.

That seems to have followed on to trials- where it used to be a really small, probably expensive and odd 'sport' for someone to get into, it's now far more accessible and mainstream which means a certain element of society is now also being involved.

Maybe I'm talking drivel and am just suffering from GOMS (grumpy old man syndrome) but it seems clear that society as a whole has some major issues, primarily borne out of shite parenting and a general lack of respect passed down the generations. What the older members on here see is only the tip of the iceberg unfortunately...

I'm old, cocksure, and shite at trials. but it doesn't stop me having a laugh and have ultimate respect for today's young uns, of which some are more skilled than I could ever hope to be. by the way I'm 31 this year, and still the oldest at comps by quite a bit. if I start acting like a wanker, just tell me and I'll go 'mehh' or 'yeah, and? '. by the way I ride streety 24

Edited by danchandler

To try and simplify people's disagreements into wheelsize issues is missing the point.

You say that but I can see where he's coming from... those of us who have migrated to a more chilled, flowy, '24' style of riding tend to be the slightly older generation who have done the sidehop thing and got bored and as such are also in general of the generation who have stuck with trials, grown up with it and can see things from a different perspective than those who are younger and relatively new to the sport. Agree it's a generalisation but not necessarily completely unfounded.

You say that but I can see where he's coming from... those of us who have migrated to a more chilled, flowy, '24' style of riding tend to be the slightly older generation who have done the sidehop thing and got bored and as such are also in general of the generation who have stuck with trials, grown up with it and can see things from a different perspective than those who are younger and relatively new to the sport. Agree it's a generalisation but not necessarily completely unfounded.

+1

I definitely see where you're coming from, but it was more that I've repeatedly had people tell me that apparently I don't like someone because they "ride TGS" when that has no bearing what-so-ever on why I think they're a dick. Someone mentioned it again about Ali not liking someone because they rode TGS when that clearly isn't anything to do with it, and trying to portray it as being a simple "Not liking sidehops" issue is glossing over things a touch...

You were spot on with the other post though. I've lived in quite a few different parts of the UK and you can see that sort of thing happening everywhere. Sucks but that's the way it is I guess. I think again it's just the trials world mirroring the national demographic. I suppose the exact percentages of different types of people might vary, but in general, you'll get twats everywhere :P

I definitely see where you're coming from, but it was more that I've repeatedly had people tell me that apparently I don't like someone because they "ride TGS" when that has no bearing what-so-ever on why I think they're a dick. Someone mentioned it again about Ali not liking someone because they rode TGS when that clearly isn't anything to do with it, and trying to portray it as being a simple "Not liking sidehops" issue is glossing over things a touch...

Yeah, fair enough. It does seem somewhat unfortunate that the majority of the twats on here do tend to be primarily from the (dare I say it?) Northern TGS mob...

Yeah, fair enough. It does seem somewhat unfortunate that the majority of the twats on here do tend to be primarily from the (dare I say it?) Northern TGS mob...

bit of a generalisation that Innit shag? I'm northern, ride tgs and street, and I'm not a twat. most of the time anyway. cue a big ass north v south argument now :)

• Like 1

Also these people go round constantly liking peoples comments when there is negativity or sarcasm aimed towards someone in an attempt to make them look stupid just makes the people who like the comments look a wimp because they haven't got the balls to type it. PFFT

Lets start an event called cock days, will get meeky boy to get a warehouse sorted, bring what you ever want and do whatever you want.

Last one standing wins.

an underground trials jousting champion ship now that would be an event not to miss

bit of a generalisation that Innit shag? I'm northern, ride tgs and street, and I'm not a twat. most of the time anyway. cue a big ass north v south argument now :)

I'm not saying all the Northern riders cause problems but it seems like whenever there's a big ol' debate about TGS vs. street or whatever the aggressive trouble makers who tend to get warnings/banned seem to me to be from oop north. Juuust sayin'.

I'm old, cocksure, and shite at trials. but it doesn't stop me having a laugh and have ultimate respect for today's young uns, of which some are more skilled than I could ever hope to be. by the way I'm 31 this year, and still the oldest at comps by quite a bit. if I start acting like a wanker, just tell me and I'll go 'mehh' or 'yeah, and? '. by the way I ride streety 24

you old git chandley

Wow some really interesting comments going down!

im first to addmit ive been a cock plenty of times!

but thats just not me ! and i realise it now!

im no longer a rider but i still feel a connection with trials as its where i made most of my friends and had some of the best times ever riding bikes with like minded people!

i still come on watch a video maybe try and help from time to time thats as far as it goes!

i can say aswell ive neverrrrrr met anyone ive not liked !

maybe i just a day dreamer thinking back on the good times i had here' because the last half of what i call ( my trials life) was indeed verry sour.

im just trying to spark ideas that can get this community in tip top shape :)

peace and love

fannyscombe

• Like 1

To be fair, we've always had cocks on here, just as you will in any community whether it be online of off.

Anyone whose ever been a mod will know its not as easy as just banning a select few in order to solve the 'problem' - the reality is that banning someone usually means plissing off all of their mates and compounding the problem. Personally I've been pretty lax with moderation over the past few years, as some will remember it used to be a pretty tight ship, but more recently I've let things run and been more reactive in dealing with reports. It sounds like this isn't doing any favours.

Its been in the back of my mind to sort out some more mods - this time we'll be looking specifically for members who ride, not necessarily senior members and as per usual members who have a history of keeping balanced view (and of course, members who want to make TF a better place!). If you're interested, keep an eye out for a topic that I'll be posting soon, have a few other things to sort out first :)