Tf Computer Nerds (Gamers, Overclockers, Server-Ists Etc)

Muel

I can run my i5 @ stock 3.2ghz passively, it's not as cold as normal but still well within limits. SSHDs aren't silent as they have a platter drive, SSDs are on the other hand ;)

If you uncased the psu and find a big enough heat sunk it would run passive just fine :)

SSD yeah that's what I meant.

Would be freaky to turn on a computer and for it to just.... nothing.

Yep, there are high end psu and gpus. Thats fan does not turn on until high usage

you can also get a low power cpu and a massive heatsink with no fans

if you set it into a case, Silverstone has some. Not sure about the code, that has an intake at its bottom and exhaust at the top, it is doable even with no fans!

That would be an interesting project. SSHD, remove the fan from the power supply and pray. Buy the biggest heatsink you can find and remove the fan. Remove all the case fans. And then underclock the processor until you get to a steady 70c. :lol:

It's been done, totally passive PCs are pretty common to be honest. Bit slow though. :P

AX860i soon for me Sav!

• Like 1

Here's a problem for you guys. I've been getting random crashes playing any sort of videos in any player, WMP, VLC, iTunes, Quicktime, MPC-HC. Don't know what the exact cause is so I reinstalled W7. After that videos played for hours without any crashes. However it has started again. Last things I installed was GTA V and Project Cars. I don't know if it's them that's causing the crashes but I also don't want to uninstall them to see as they total to a 75GB download, Fairly sure it's not hardware related. Plays games fine, it's just video files.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently halfway through building my new computer, currently setting the 2 Samsung 850 Evo 500gb SSDs I've got for it in RAID 0. Such fun to be had later!

Bit annoying that all my copies of W7 have been used up now though. (Academic copies I got through uni so after 5 installations the key is invalid).

I intend on moving to Win10 when it comes out, but it's not out yet!

I thought w10 was the devil's own work :P

I've reserved my upgrade.

Just acquired 16gb 2133mhz ram, boosted fps in arma3 by almost 20% over the 1600mhz I previously had :o

I don't think there is a cheap way to get solidworks legally unless you can get your hands on an educational version. I have access to one of our work copies at home which is on maintenance so always up to date :)

The pre-release beta thingy I had was a joke in many ways, but from the latest screenshots I've seen they have taken all the criticism on board.

I still hate Windows but this machine is my workstation, so needs to run many things including games and that. It's a necessary evil. :(

Could dual boot, but I'll probably end up just using Win10 as my base OS and then using Linux VMs for anything proper.

Good news on the RAM, I didn't think DDR3 mhz mattered too much? 20% is decent haha. My RAM is 2800mhz. :P

Edited by Muel

On the whole ram frequency doesn't affect much, but arma3 really gets a boost from it :)

If I could play games and run solidworks on linux I would use it all day long, unfortunately directx pretty much stops that :(

Aye, I have a home server which is running Ubuntu Server 15, which is nice and clean. :)

Just benched the new SSDs, holy shit:

Sequential - Read: 1090MB/s - Write: 955MB/s

512k - Read: 676.6MB/s - Write: 882.0MB/s

4k - Read: 41.10MB/s - Write: 85.61MB/s

4K QD32 - Read: 454.8MB/s - Write: 406.8MB/s

Did not expect over 1GB/s read! Should make a sizeable difference to GTAV load times. :)

Jesus!

It's amazing haha. Might have to get a couple more. :P

I built a basic PC, all new parts. However it blue screens once a day. Where to I even start to fix the issue?

First of all, disable the automatic reboot after BSOD: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-restart-windows-7.htm

Then, take a pic of the screen and post here, and probably on the W7 forum as well. The contents of the error wil help diagnose.

As it's a new system with basic parts and nothing overclocked, I'm gonna shoot for faulty memory. If that's what the BSOD suggests, you'll have to run http://www.memtest86.com/with 1 stick at a time installed, 1 of them will probably have errors, in which case you can return the kit. I presume you went with 2 stocks of DDR3? 4gb each or something?

Edited by Muel

It's amazing haha. Might have to get a couple more. :P

First of all, disable the automatic reboot after BSOD: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-restart-windows-7.htm

Then, take a pic of the screen and post here, and probably on the W7 forum as well. The contents of the error wil help diagnose.

As it's a new system with basic parts and nothing overclocked, I'm gonna shoot for faulty memory. If that's what the BSOD suggests, you'll have to run http://www.memtest86.com/with 1 stick at a time installed, 1 of them will probably have errors, in which case you can return the kit. I presume you went with 2 stocks of DDR3? 4gb each or something?

1 stick of 4gb. Did that so another 4gb could be thrown in there if needed.

I did some googling and realized that a lot of stuff, mainly W7, hadn't been updated fully and it hasn't had the issue since updating. We'll wait and see.

1 stick of 4gb. Did that so another 4gb could be thrown in there if needed.

I did some googling and realized that a lot of stuff, mainly W7, hadn't been updated fully and it hasn't had the issue since updating. We'll wait and see.

Sounds like a plan. Definitely disable the auto restart on BSOD though. If it's a family members computer then you can tell them to get a photo of the screen when it happens, so you'll have the details even if the crash dump is useless. (Happened to me a lot in the past).

My new build is almost done (on air...). I had the SSDs fitted for 2 days, but now my computer is in little pieces. Did some case mods this weekend and now waiting on the new cables to arrive to get on with building.

I BSOD'ed again so I disabled the auto restart and will take a pic for you guys next time it happens. However an odd thing, right after it blue screens, after the restart it says not bootable devices can be found. You have to turn it off then on again for it to boot from the SSD.

Playing around with a little bit of overclocking on my 5820K at the moment, first stability test was at 4.0ghz@1.2v, now running 4.2ghz@1.2v.

Not sure what voltage I'm going to stick to. These chips are very power hungry so I'd a little worried about the lifetime of motherboard. At stock these will pull 140w from the socket, even at my fairly mild overclocks they'll pull over 200w...