Tf Computer Nerds (Gamers, Overclockers, Server-Ists Etc)

Muel

5 hours ago, JT! said:

Right now my PC shows it is using 99% of it's memory in task manager. All 16gb!!!

However, non of the processes show anything using over 150mb, and most the processes are using tiny amounts of memory.

Obviously it slows my computer down to unusable speeds. A reset will fix it. But I need to find the cause. Any ideas?

EDIT: After a restart, task manager is showing it's using 25% memory with the shows processes totaling 1.5gb out of 16gb.

Sounds like one of your installed programs has a memory leak. Try using this to see what's happening: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/rammap

You'll probably find that just updating windows and whatever you typically have running might well sort it. Browsers regularly cause this sort of thing.

10 hours ago, Muel said:

Sounds like one of your installed programs has a memory leak. Try using this to see what's happening: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/rammap

You'll probably find that just updating windows and whatever you typically have running might well sort it. Browsers regularly cause this sort of thing.

memorystuff.thumb.png.4f77d1b556da70173a

Not really sure what I'm seeing here.

After I bought 3 SSD at roughly the same price point ( Kingston V300 120GB £35 (the 240GB is £58), Sandisk Ultra II 240GB for £55 and Samsung 850 EVO 250GB for £58) I am confident to say that the Samsung has the best packaging and best feeling. that sexy black metal body....

I have 2 500gb Samsung 850 EVO in RAID0 in my main system, by far the nicest and most stable so far. Also got 2 128gb Crucial M4 and a Sandisk Ultra II 240gb in various other machines.

Trying very hard to stop looking at the Samsung 850 Pro M2 PCIE drives at the moment though...

I am not keen on storage myself, as SSDs are quick enough for me. I am really thinking to get a 250GB SSD as a backup drive though. 

At the moment I am trying to set up a Macbook busines (buying broken ones, repair and sell) so I tend to buy the SSD that is on sale at the time :D 

34 minutes ago, HippY said:

I am not keen on storage myself, as SSDs are quick enough for me. I am really thinking to get a 250GB SSD as a backup drive though. 

At the moment I am trying to set up a Macbook busines (buying broken ones, repair and sell) so I tend to buy the SSD that is on sale at the time :D 

I know people who survive with such a small amount of storage, but don't understand how lol. I have a large music collection at almost 200gb, but relatively small film and TV at around 2tb and maybe 500gb of software.

4 minutes ago, Muel said:

I know people who survive with such a small amount of storage, but don't understand how lol. I have a large music collection at almost 200gb, but relatively small film and TV at around 2tb and maybe 500gb of software.

at the moment I have a 240 GB SSD boot drive (190GB used, as I have a few games there) and a 1 TB HDD that has 350GB free space and mostly has games that I never play, backups, and. videos.

I could be able to fit on a 500GB SSD If I wanted to, but 750 GB should be enough (apart from boot drive ofc)

What I really like about OSX is that it takes up surprisingly small amount of space, less than 10GB, whereas Windows is way more. I tried to have a 50GB partition for OS, it was struggle all the time

The ssd on my work machine has suddenly filled up, I knew I only had about 35 gig free on the C:\ but come this morning it had 11 gig free!

Steam had automatically installed fallout4 on my work machine for me, runs like a bag of shit on a 1gb nvidia quadro2000 funnily enough :D

If you have already converted the win7 key to win10 then you should be able to install 10 straight off the iso.  If you haven't then it might be possible to upgrade the key as you install directly.

Try it and see as I want to be doing the same for our cad machines at work, they're currently win7pro and I want to do a fresh install of win10 whilst the licenses are free!

I have the time I may just give it a shot. I have both win 7 and win 10 on usb sticks. I pulled the win 10 "product ID" from the properties of 'my pc'. Hopefully that is what I need. I'll give it a shot and let you know what happens.

Have you guys seen the reports that the next GTA will be the whole of the USA?

It's crazy to think how big that map will be. Releasing in 2020, if the reports are correct.

That'll be proper epic!

I'd love to see a GTA based in England, but I guess the market isn't there for it.