Tf Computer Nerds (Gamers, Overclockers, Server-Ists Etc)

Muel

Oh shit it's £32 now? I think it was £24 ish when I got it. But probably since when I got it it's received several big updates which includes more modes and cars so there's more there so more money.

It's currently on a Codemasters weekend sale on steam for £22.10.

As I mentioned earlier I ordered a new wheel and pedals setup last week for my sim racing. In the mean time I ordered another pedal set as an upgrade to the ones I hadn't received yet, because they have a more realistic brake feel. 

Got them today and can't actually use it without pushing my chair back. Good job I'm planning to build a permanent rig this weekend...

I don't have space for a sim rig. I fully intend on having one at some point, but I've got enough projects for the time being.

Concentrating on Borderlands 2 and GTAV at the moment, really enjoying them. Especially Borderlands 2 as it's not a type of game I've had much experience with or managed to get into for any length of time - lots of shooting and earning badges etc.

As I mentioned earlier I ordered a new wheel and pedals setup last week for my sim racing. In the mean time I ordered another pedal set as an upgrade to the ones I hadn't received yet, because they have a more realistic brake feel. 

Got them today and can't actually use it without pushing my chair back. Good job I'm planning to build a permanent rig this weekend...

Using a normal office chair with wheels? Just pull off the wheels and it won't move, if you're on carpet.

Are you building a proper rig JD? Mounting everything to a frame and that?

Yea, I got lazy and ordered DIY plans so that I don't waste any time on getting it wrong. I'll be building this as soon as they turn up. I've got a couple of mods in mind for it already, but it allows me to get going properly. I'll also be able to add things like bass shakers in time to add to the immersion, because I won't be able to bother with a full motion sim for a few years. Plan is to use some high powered bass shakers and separate the whole rig from the floor on a layer of tennis balls so that it allows as much movement as possible. V1 will be static though :)

Looks like an awesome project. Apparantly the thing to do with bass shakers is to run them off a second sound card, as it allows the game to channel the vibrations more accurately so you feel the engine note of your car, not the one overtaking you.

It's a little more than that, but yeah. If you run off the soundcard then you're literally sending sound to the shakers. If you run off a different soundcard then you can use a thing called SimVibe to translate the actual physics data in the sim to soundwaves so that you're sending feeling rather than sound. All way above my head, but as long as it works I don't care!

It's a little more than that, but yeah. If you run off the soundcard then you're literally sending sound to the shakers. If you run off a different soundcard then you can use a thing called SimVibe to translate the actual physics data in the sim to soundwaves so that you're sending feeling rather than sound. All way above my head, but as long as it works I don't care!

Yeh I was trying to describe SimVibe but couldn't remember the name. :lol:

• Like 1

Yea, I got lazy and ordered DIY plans so that I don't waste any time on getting it wrong. I'll be building this as soon as they turn up. I've got a couple of mods in mind for it already, but it allows me to get going properly. I'll also be able to add things like bass shakers in time to add to the immersion, because I won't be able to bother with a full motion sim for a few years. Plan is to use some high powered bass shakers and separate the whole rig from the floor on a layer of tennis balls so that it allows as much movement as possible. V1 will be static though :)

Any chance I could 'burrow' the plans when you're done? :-

DiRT Rally nerds feel free to add me, I play with an xbox controller as I unfortunately have more 'important' things to spend my money on.

would be neat to try and beat peoples times
http://steamcommunity.com/id/pandaHD/

Added. Although I don't really try for the fastest times, just clean as I can. I use a G27 though so you might be at a bit of a disadvantage lol.

Replay for ItsMatt.

Edited by weirdoku

Can you recommend a phone? Upgrading from a S3. 

Need:
- Android
- Under 200 pounds
- As little plastic as possible
- Roughly the size of the S3
- LTE

Don't need:
- Good camera
- Hi res screen
- Much storage
- Any gaming performance

Completely lost, there seems to be so much choice now it's unreal.

Edited by Greetings

I just upgraded to an xperia z3 compact, cost me £30 for the phone with £21 a month contract and is very good, not quite as powerful as the full size sony brethren but it's plenty fast enough and its smaller size suits my hobbit hands better.

It runs android 5.1.1 lollipop, was cheap, not much plastic and very solid build, smaller than the S3 by 8mm height and 5mm width.  Can't really comment on LTE as I believe that is more a technology progress path rather than technology itself but it runs on 4G fine.

It does have a very good camera, a screen with the same pixel density as an iphone6, capacity for up to 128gb sd card and pretty good gaming performance :D

I upgraded from an htc one mini which worked fine but has recently slowed down a great deal (needs a factory reset) and I was intending to keep on the htc line but wasn't particularly impressed with reviews of their current handsets and they don't have a mini at the moment.  The z3 compact got very good reviews and I haven't been dissapointed with the phone at all :)

All of that said I recommended you the ms surface that shat itself :(

Edited by forteh
  • Like 1

HTC One M7

I've had mine for around a year I think now, it's been faultless.

EDIT: What's LTE? Double check that the M7 does / has that, as I have no idea. It fits the bill in all other departments though, Aluminium shell, similar size to S3, they go for around £150 on eBay I think.

Edited by MadManMike
LTE. Dafuq?

Long Term Evolution, when the proposed 4G standards were drawn up they were (and I believe still are) unreachable targets speedwise with 100mbit being the minimum speed for mobile connection.  LTE just means that it's as fast as the current generation of technology allows and it is evolving; basically current 4G isn't actually 4G because it doesn't meet the standards but it is significantly faster than 3G.

f**k Android.

In other news, my G27 wheel turned up over the weekend. Annoyingly it didn't work properly and it was from the US so I had to take it apart to see if I could fix it rather than bear the costs of returning it. I had to take it apart and reassemble three times, but in the end I fixed it so that's all good.

Then these plans turned up this morning... Don't think I'll get any time this week to make a start but hopefully this weekend I'll be able to give it a go.

2015-10-26_10.36.53.thumb.jpg.2b13bfe0a9

f**k Android.

In other news, my G27 wheel turned up over the weekend. Annoyingly it didn't work properly and it was from the US so I had to take it apart to see if I could fix it rather than bear the costs of returning it. I had to take it apart and reassemble three times, but in the end I fixed it so that's all good.

Then these plans turned up this morning... Don't think I'll get any time this week to make a start but hopefully this weekend I'll be able to give it a go.

2015-10-26_10.36.53.thumb.jpg.2b13bfe0a9

Are them plans 1:1 size?

LTE over here is fast internet, 4G elsewhere I think. App limitations mean android only, one in particular that I use is not available on any other platform. Cheers for the recommendations, will check them out tomorrow if I can get hold of them.

Moto G?

They are cheap new, although if you can get a deal of the M7 get it

I have the M8 and it has been dropped and abused, and still in perfect condition

Phone shopping went tits up. It turns out phone cameras don't suck anymore and so the camera became a priority (because it's something I'd actually use). After considering the S6 but discarding it due to an integrated battery and no SD card slot I ended up with the Note 4. So yeah, it's pretty much the exact opposite of what I was looking for. 

On a side note, that camera / screen combo results in video footage which looks real and almost three dimensional. Genuinely dumbstruck.