Medical Problem During Trials

omgnoseat

I know that there is a medical topic, but this is pretty unique problem and I'm afraid that the one person that might know what it is overlooks it.

It might seem a bit misplaced to put it here, but I'm really at a loss here.

For about 3 years now I have been having strange problems with my heart. During trials I sometimes feel something I can only describe as click (small focusesd pressure) in the right side of my chest, and my heart starts beating like a madman (140bmp).

You might think "duh, ofcourse your heart beats during exercise" but this really is different. I get very dizzy and start to see dark spots, so I have to sit down. I usually go home when I feel good enough.

The heartrate remains fast for 30-60 minutes when I get home. I'm completely calm in terms of physical exercise, I just sit on the couch or stand under the shower usually. The only solution to stop it is to take a deep breath. In that deep breath my heartrate instantly drops from 140bmp to 70bpm.

A few notes:

- This used to occure in about 1 of 6 rides, it now happens in about 1/3

- the click is in the RIGHT side of my chest, so not actually where my heart is.

- it is mostly caused by a pedal up

- I have sometimes had this after bikeing, getting home and doing a small jump up the stairs.

I have had this about 3 times without exercise, which were all when I laughed.

I already went to the hospital a number of times, they made an echo of my heart and made me wear a heartmeter thingy for a day. I went for a ride that day, but frustrating enough it didn't happen the one time I needed.

According to the results, my heart is in good shape.

I have been having an uncomfortabel feeling in my chest exactly where the click occurs for a couple of months now aswell, it feels as if the click can happen every moment.

Anyone has any idea what this could be?

...Perhaps visiting the doctor again rather than posting on a forum might be a better route to diagnosis.

Try and get them to let you to wear this heart rate monitor for a few days, or at least until you have a 'moment'.

Does it only happen when riding or during other forms of exercise?

Why not ask the hospital is you can use the thing for a week and return back to the hospital one a day as that way your problem is bound to happen? I hope you get this all sorted mate!

Edit: My mum has a problem sorta like yours, my mums sight will got like yours with black dots and became rather disey, the doctor said it was 'manieres'.

Edited by bike_dummie

On the back of Tom's post - I let my sister who is a medical student have a glance at your post:

'Hey there, my brother showed me your post and it seems like your pretty concerned about it. The solution is to return to your doctor despite previous negative tests and explain that although these have been reassuring, whatever is going on is affecting your enjoyment of your sport. It would be ideal if you could borrow the heart tape for longer to capture a trace during an episode. Either way you shouldn't have to be worrying, and be able to enjoying being active so don't be afraid to approach medics about working out what is going on.

But...

although the cardio tests have come back okay, this could be something like paroxysmal atrial fibrillation (and as it doesn't occur everytime you exercise it would be hard to catch on tape), and then you also have the visual effects and dizziness a bit like a vasovagal response (although your heart rate increases rather than decreases, but that it's triggered by certain movements and laughing means it crosses my mind). The clicking sensation could also be musculoskeletal, and as far I am aware the heart is not capable of producing such a sensation. It could also be anxiety related as although you feel calm, as the body is a mysterious thing! Go to your doctor!'

...Perhaps visiting the doctor again rather than posting on a forum might be a better route to diagnosis.

Try and get them to let you to wear this heart rate monitor for a few days, or at least until you have a 'moment'.

Does it only happen when riding or during other forms of exercise?

Trials is the only form of exercise I do, but I did get it when I went parkouring for jokes once.

I went to the doctor alot, but as long as you look healthy they don't take you very seriously.

my girlfriend says its (or could be) supra ventricular tachicardia, and to go to a doctors and that its unfortunate that it didn't happen during the 24 hours you had the thingy on.

This sounds EXACTLY like what I have. Thank your girlfriend for me. I will bring this up to the doctors at my next visit.

May I ask how she knows about the condition?

Why not ask the hospital is you can use the thing for a week and return back to the hospital one a day as that way your problem is bound to happen? I hope you get this all sorted mate!

Edit: My mum has a problem sorta like yours, my mums sight will got like yours with black dots and became rather disey, the doctor said it was 'manieres'.

I actually had one for a month, but we use a very primitive system at the hospital I'm at. You had to send the recording through the phone. I had just gotten a smartphone, which had trouble sending it. Went to the hospital to ask if I could use their analog phone. But they took in the heart recording device and told me "too bad for you" afterwards. So I never could send in the recording.

They also told me in the hospital that my heart is healthy, so I think the heartrate is more of a response to something else than a cause.

Edited by omgnoseat

I get this, not simultaniously though, my chest cracks in a very specific place (left side though, so it bothers me more) and my pulse can go from normal to mental in one beat and back again in a single beat a few mins later, feels horrid!

Typically though, all the tests in the world have shown there's nothing wrong because it never occurs when they're looking for it :rolleyes:

Not much help I know, but I'll keep an eye on the thread for my own reference :)

Do you do many situps, abdominal exercises? I didn't for a while and I found that while riding trials, my belly muscles got really tight at the top and migrated up into/put pressure on my chest area causing all sorts of palpitations, chest pain, feeling of imminent death which triggers anxiety which then makes the tightness even worse!

After doing some plank ab exercises, I regained some control over my belly again and managed to 'relax it out of my chest', this caused some strange little sharp pains at first with the top of my abdomen spazzing out but now, I can breathe better, have more energy and no more messed up heart beats, yay!

This took me ages of going to the doctors for treatments of stomach ulcers and other random things, I was a fat kid and being young and self concious of being fat I remember trying to suck my belly in a lot, which also wouldn't have helped :giggle:

This guy sums it up for me..

bilt.jpg

Edited by casualjoe

I get this, not simultaniously though, my chest cracks in a very specific place (left side though, so it bothers me more) and my pulse can go from normal to mental in one beat and back again in a single beat a few mins later, feels horrid!

Typically though, all the tests in the world have shown there's nothing wrong because it never occurs when they're looking for it :rolleyes:

Not much help I know, but I'll keep an eye on the thread for my own reference :)

It's not really a "crack" for me, it feels softer than that, like it's something with a muscle. But the rest seems pretty similiar, I feel your pain :(

And yeah, it never occurs when you "want" it too >_<

Do you do many situps, abdominal exercises? I didn't for a while and I found that while riding trials, my belly muscles got really tight at the top and migrated up into/put pressure on my chest area causing all sorts of palpitations, chest pain, feeling of imminent death which triggers anxiety which then makes the tightness even worse!

After doing some plank ab exercises, I regained some control over my belly again and managed to 'relax it out of my chest', this caused some strange little sharp pains at first with the top of my abdomen spazzing out but now, I can breathe better, have more energy and no more messed up heart beats, yay!

This took me ages of going to the doctors for treatments of stomach ulcers and other random things, I was a fat kid and being young and self concious of being fat I remember trying to suck my belly in a lot, which also wouldn't have helped :giggle:

This guy sums it up for me..

bilt.jpg

It sounds like you have a different issue than me, but I'm prepared to do anything to help my chest. Funny enough, my stomach is in a horrible shape compared to the rest of my body, muscle wise. It kills me when my 13 year old nephew punches me gently :P

So that could actually play a role. Situps it is.

I have been having new issues recently aswell, I thought it was a one time thing but it occuring more often now. My heartbeat feels to get "stuck", the duration of one beat is slightly longer than usual. This occurs at random times, I was having a drink with some friends, totally relaxing and it suddenly happend. I get the same pressure in my chest that I get when the rapid heartbeat comes up.

This is all really on my mind the whole day, the pressure makes me aware of it the entire day :(

Thanks for all the replies guys, feels good to be taken seriously for once!

When I was young, sometimes my heart would randomly seem to stop for a bit, then beat really hard and slow, then gradually speed up to normal pace.

I have no idea what it was about but it's stopped now, it hasn't happened for around 10 years.

• 2 months later...

They have found out what it is guys, it's this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AV_nodal_reentrant_tachycardia

I'm getting medication but it will be better to get surgery.

I'm really glad that I finally know what it is, but not thrilled about getting surgery.

There is a 1% fail margin which would result in me getting a pacemaker. 1% is small, but still not fun to hear :P

Tomturd, you were actually right about the supra ventricular tachicardia, it's one of the effects of the condition. Thank again for that!