Caustic Soda

CalRobbo341

So I have had this thought in the back of my head for a while, rawing some parts.

I want loads of new parts but money is tight, so I thought maybe just raw the front wheel, for now, as I don't like the blue and it would look a little nicer.

So this is the stuff I would use (http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Caustic-Soda-500g_923900/) but as the front wheel has a grind would that effect anything, and I wouldnt take it apart, so would a plastic bag do the trick, over the spokes?

I think I would also go over the cranks and the forks as there rather battered.

How many bottles do you think I would need?

And then when I eventually get a job, I would do it up how I really want it!

Thanks.

EDIT - If anyone could like mock it up on photoshop, would appreciate it.

post-30770-0-11923600-1343564780_thumb.j

post-30770-0-24968000-1343564783_thumb.j

post-30770-0-66399400-1343564785_thumb.j

post-30770-0-73591700-1343564816_thumb.j

I found it best to get a shallow bucket of some sort so that you can mange to submerge a part of the rim in the solution. Then with a bit of scrubbing to aid it coming off continue to do it and spin the rim round, but wash of bits that have already been done so you don't get burn marks.

If the spokes are painted it should be fine

The rim is anodised, the spokes I don't know about and the hub is a Hope bulb? I think. I may do the spokes or if there is enough (ordered 1kg of it) i may just do it in a small bath and dip the whole of the wheel in, then scrub it till its silver. also may just do the rear Echo TR rim, again if there is enough! Thanks for everything!

Caustic soda doesn't touch steel so the spokes will be fine.

I've done wheels before, all I did was mix a batch of caustic soda and use a toothbrush to brush it on the rim/hub, leave for a few moments and wipe off with a rag/clean water.

don't worry about going over the same bit twice, it may make the alloy go a funny colour, but a bit of wire wool will bring it to a decent finish.

• Like 1

Should I change the batch that I am using now when I go to do the cranks? Done the front rim, just having a quick break, then back to it! Opinions on what else I should do? Forks, rear wheel, anything else? Ignored what you said about the spokes Ali, only because I had already done them, but they survived! Cheers.

post-30770-0-66902500-1343987438_thumb.j

post-30770-0-76567400-1343987440_thumb.j

post-30770-0-59884000-1343987442_thumb.j

Should I change the batch that I am using now when I go to do the cranks? Done the front rim, just having a quick break, then back to it! Opinions on what else I should do? Forks, rear wheel, anything else? Ignored what you said about the spokes Ali, only because I had already done them, but they survived! Cheers.

Looks good, did you go round it with some fine wire wool and polish? I done my forks and all the orange bits on my echo yesturday, i just use the same batch for everything than wipe it off after. It works much quicker mixing the caustic soda in boiling water :)

Didnt do the driveside cranks to its maximum on the back, couldnt get to it that well... Hope hub proving to be rather tough! Changing batch after had some lunch, hopefully should do the trick! Serious opinions on wether to do the forks or rear wheel? Or both!

Looks good, did you go round it with some fine wire wool and polish? I done my forks and all the orange bits on my echo yesturday, i just use the same batch for everything than wipe it off after. It works much quicker mixing the caustic soda in boiling water :)

Posted at the same time as me broo! Doing cleaning up with wire wool, cloth and some polish when everything is done.

post-30770-0-26053500-1343994316_thumb.j

post-30770-0-46100100-1343994318_thumb.j

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, niconj said:

I know but how do I do it? Don't have a bucket large enough to fit a frame in there.

If you mix it strong with warm water, you can wipe it on with a cloth, its comes off really easy. It's best to do it near a tap or have a jug of normal water because it looks best when it doesn't stay on too long.

• Like 2

Will try this on my Rockman. Bought some Hashtagg Cranks and they will have to match the frame color. :D Too bad I cannot raw the forks and handlebar. Would really like a complete silver bike. There are also no silver rims available anymore except the Trialtech and these don't really give a good brake performance in my pov.

26248857466_229014b345.jpgRockman Gabbro V-Brake¹ by niconj, auf Flickr

Edited by niconj

caustic soda (natriumhydroxid) is pretty reactive, so check on safety tips before mixing it with water. especially if you need large quantities. 

i've only handled it once or so in small batches for photography stuff. it does generate heat while dissolving and reacts quite a bit. for dissolving it needs a container bigger than the final volume (iirc).