Work Experience

F.N.G

Hey guys, I have heard a bike shop in my town is doing work experience and I think I might go there as there is no where else I want to go.

Can I have some suggestions for what to write? I have no idea where to start

Thanks

I did my work ex at a bike shop though I believe nowadays your school makes you right a letter for something to be graded on. Tom if I were you I'd just go in and speak to the manager to ask if you can do work experience there before you send a letter but tell him that's what your school expects you to do. Then just write a basic letter stating your interest in bikes, knowledge of repairs and interest to possibly take it up as a profession when you finish, bla, bla, bla, yadda, yadda, yadda, would you be interested in giving me the opportunity to experience the life of a bike shop employee.

Be warned though you will generally be brewing up, sweeping up and doing the s**t jobs no one else is keen on!

I sent this in the end, hope it's ok.

Tom Walker

Address, email, telephone etc.

Monday 1st October 2012

The Bicycle Chain

Weston-Super-Mare

13-15 Locking Road

Weston-Super-Mare

BS23 3BY

Dear Sir/Madam

I'm a (Age and school), and I have been given the opportunity of spending one week on

Work Experience from the 11th - 15th March 2013. I would like to ask whether you are able to offer me a placement

for this week.

I am studying Double Science, Geography, ICT, D&T Resistant materials as well the primary GCSE's

I'm very interested in cycling and I would love to work as a bicycle mechanic when I'm old enough to be employed. I

compete all over the country in cycle trials and last year I was placed 4th in the British nationals I'm also interested in all

other forms of cycling. I would be grateful for the opportunity to gain some experience into the world of work and whether

this is the type of work I would like to do when I leave school.

Thank you for spending the time in reading this email, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

Tom Walker

What do you guys think?

Edited by F.N.G

I sent this in the end, hope it's ok.

Tom Walker

Address, email, telephone etc.

Monday 1st October 2012

The Bicycle Chain

Weston-Super-Mare

13-15 Locking Road

Weston-Super-Mare

BS23 3BY

Dear Sir/Madam

I'm a (Age and school), and I have been given the opportunity of spending one week on

Work Experience from the 11th - 15th March 2013. I would like to ask whether you are able to offer me a placement

for this week.

I am studying Double Science, Geography, ICT, D&T Resistant materials as well the primary GCSE's

I'm very interested in cycling and I would love to work as a bicycle mechanic when I'm old enough to be employed. I

compete all over the country in cycle trials and last year I was placed 4th in the British nationals I'm also interested in all

other forms of cycling. I would be grateful for the opportunity to gain some experience into the world of work and whether

this is the type of work I would like to do when I leave school.

Thank you for spending the time in reading this email, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

Tom Walker

What do you guys think?

Brilliant (Y)

I worked in a sports centre for work experience and all i did was clean the windows and the toilets.

Edited by ClarkeHutchison

Still gives him good stead for later on in life though, giving him tips now.

I'm not advising against tips. :)

I'm saying that not as many people may not speak up because it's free work, therefore it shouldn't be hard to get; thus leading to not needing much advice.

I'll shut up now.

• Like 1

First of all, good luck.

If you manage to get the placement, try to be as helpful as possible, if you have nothing to do, tidy up/ask the manager for something to do (they think it's impressive when you ask for work, it shows your keen), keep all the tools in the right places etc, if your unsure don't be affraid to ask for help, and just try to prove yourself.

Then hopefully when you finish your placement they could offer you a saturday job, or full time once you leave school.

Last of all would like to say good luck again.

I'm not advising against tips. :)

I'm saying that not as many people may not speak up because it's free work, therefore it shouldn't be hard to get; thus leading to not needing much advice.

I'll shut up now.

Completely agree mate. I Didn't mean to sound rude.

Dan he may as well write "Want someone to make your tea, hoover, clean your windows, do the bitch work unloading, build display bikes for free?"

The chances of you getting on it very much depends on their insurance, compliance to Trident (?) if anyone else has applied etc.

Me and my mate both did work exp. at the same shop, went in cleaned up a bit then went skatepark........ He's pretty much ignored advice about walking in and just having a polite word. But I would still do it if I was you.