2 Week Old Echo Sl Freewheel Goes........

Andeee

Could you quantify / back that up in any way?

Echo's email address is on their website for feedback, too (Y)

He fails to respond to e-mails on his quality/feedback. I messaged him about some brake clamps, one friend messaged about a frame, another on a hub and a mate with some forks.

All of us have sent him an e-mail he just fails to reply or avoids criticism towards his products

Dear Andrew,

I assure you a great thought and design goes into every Echo component, including material selection. As you see on our website we do extensive stress analysis on our component designs but any manufacturing process mistakes can happen, often out of our hands. In trial there is no right or wrong material as sport is always changing. We see carbon fibres used now and are looking into both plastic and ceramic materials for all components for future. I hope this one failure of Echo freewheel does not put you off our products in future.

Best,

Mr Deng

Haha is this some kind of set up or has somebody have a spare e-mail address followed by lots of time on their hands.

Sorry but your products are poo. lol

Edited by Andeee
  • Like 1

SL's are Ti, that's a TR.

I've brought this matter up with Echo a few times but they don't seem to see this as a problem. Apparently dealers don't complain (enough?). The failure rate is in my opinion unacceptable, and it's a lot higher than 1/1000 as someone made up on the 1st page.

It sucks that trials riders still can't buy a 100% reliable freewheel. They either engage very well and break apart, or skip frequently and erm... don't break apart.

Just a few days ago I was trying to replace the chainring from a broken Echo freewheel with a Bonz chainring. I found that the thickness of the Bonz/(generic Monty 221 type) chainring is over 1mm greater. Perhaps that would be something to consider.

He fails to respond to e-mails on his quality/feedback. I messaged him about some brake clamps, one friend messaged about a frame, another on a hub and a mate with some forks.

All of us have sent him an e-mail he just fails to reply or avoids criticism towards his products

Haha is this some kind of set up or has somebody have a spare e-mail address followed by lots of time on their hands.

Sorry but you're products are poo. lol

your

• Like 1

Sorry but your products are poo. lol

Dear Andrew,

I am disheart by your comment. Echo export large quantity of trial parts and bikes to UK and I think very successful there. They are not faecal matter. I look at 'Bike Pictures' forum and see many many Echo bike and many good comments.Echo have supported trial since 2001 and have large experience in market.

Best,

Mr Deng

• Like 5

I had Two TR72 clicks and they were sorted as, for 40 quid. Please start making that again...

And the cost of a well made freewheel too high??? explain the 130 odd quid for a Echo TI.

If people pay for that then surely freewheel that worked and didn't break in half, wouldn't be any trouble to sell.

Though at that price range I'd buy invest in Hope's very fine Pro2EVO. Hands down.

Edited by CC12345678910

Hopes feel dim whited after riding with an SL. I had a go on two mates bikes on sunday with pro2's and they feel horrible!

I bought a Pro II in early 06 and sold it 3 months ago - never skipped and embarrassingly I never opened it to service it. Dim whited....bit of a stretch. Reliable...it would seem so. I would take reliability and good performance any day over a few more engagement points on a product that people are over joyed with if it lasts as much as a year.

I bought a Pro II in early 06 and sold it 3 months ago - never skipped and embarrassingly I never opened it to service it. Dim whited....bit of a stretch. Reliable...it would seem so. I would take reliability and good performance any day over a few more engagement points on a product that people are over joyed with if it lasts as much as a year.

Of course, I'm not knocking its reliability, I know how good of a hub they are. Probably the single most reliable and versatile hub there is available.

I was more leaning towards how big of a difference in feel there is between it and an SL, because there is one going from 2 years of 108 engagements to 48,

and I'm sure I'm not the only one who has this opinion. Each to their own though :)

As said here, the earlier SL freewheels were pretty damned reliable. My brothers been running his early example for the best part of two years now, and its never been serviced, never skipped or shown any indication of giving up any time soon. Just a little spray with GT85 anytime its been in the wet and its golden.

In comparison, I've been through 3. Again, never skipped or really needed any attention, indicating the engagement mechanics are all sound, its the material Echo are using, or the dimensions they are manufacturing them to I'd say.

Of course, I'm not knocking its reliability, I know how good of a hub they are. Probably the single most reliable and versatile hub there is available.

I was more leaning towards how big of a difference in feel there is between it and an SL, because there is one going from 2 years of 108 engagements to 48,

and I'm sure I'm not the only one who has this opinion. Each to their own though :)

As said here, the earlier SL freewheels were pretty damned reliable. My brothers been running his early example for the best part of two years now, and its never been serviced, never skipped or shown any indication of giving up any time soon. Just a little spray with GT85 anytime its been in the wet and its golden.

In comparison, I've been through 3. Again, never skipped or really needed any attention, indicating the engagement mechanics are all sound, its the material Echo are using, or the dimensions they are manufacturing them to I'd say.

Agreed,48 is fine for street riding,but for natural or even TGS it´s just not going to cut it, if you are already used to 108fw it really is big problem, if feels like ages till you get the power. Another thing is, it´s VERY heavy, I use SL freewheel on the hub, together it weights good 80g less than pro2 and that´s without sprocket and ss kit. Screw weight distribution, I don´t really care about that as bikes are rear heavy anyway so 100-200g doesn´t make too much of a difference, but over 500g for a full hub??? And finally, everyone seems to forget that rear hub is under lot less force so it´s not that hard for it to be long lasting,especially at this weight...

Edited by ghostrider88

Agreed. I've gone down from an SL 108 click to an old Echo TR 72 click is it? It feels absolutely horrendous, I feel like i've lost so much confidence and skill as when i'm approaching a big ish wall i'm having to compensate for the lack of engagements and get my timing right with my feet. It's a lot like turbo lag haha.

I'd imagine it wouldn't have such an effect on streety moves though.