2 Week Old Echo Sl Freewheel Goes........

Andeee

I don't know what everyone means about noticing the lack of engagements.

I had my TR 108 for about a year and when i got my king I didn't notice a difference at all. Also riding my friends pro 2 I can still gap just as well (although not as far, as its a fourplay).

As long as you preload properly it's fine

Going off skew a bit, does anybody have any experience with those profile elite hubs? or the halo SuperDrive? Have heard they are supposed to be quite good. A mate had a profile elite on his bmx and it sounded amazing

I wish echo made everything like they used to.

You didn't try out Echo's first generation 72 click freewheel (back around 2007-08) which was based on the White Industries ENO freewheel design. Needless to say, it was an utter disaster. The shell body and cromo outer sprocket, was probably the most reliable part of the whole design. Edited by Rusevelt

Going off skew a bit, does anybody have any experience with those profile elite hubs? or the halo SuperDrive? Have heard they are supposed to be quite good. A mate had a profile elite on his bmx and it sounded amazing

The teeth on the ratchet and the pawls themselves on thr profile elite hubs are tiny. Lots of them, which gives that high ep number, but very shallow and fragile looking. I serviced one for a mate and it wouldnt take much of a skip to do some serious damage by the looks of it. Id imagine with the instant harsh forces the hub would be subjected to through use in trials, the shallow ratchet and tiny pawls would continue to ride over each other following a skip, creating a mess of the hub, and maybe the riders face.

Thats my view on them anyway, I could be completley wrong :P

Edited by Echo Lite 09
  • Like 1

The teeth on the ratchet and the pawls themselves on thr profile elite hubs are tiny. Lots of them, which gives that high ep number, but very shallow and fragile looking. I serviced one for a mate and it wouldnt take much of a skip to do some serious damage by the looks of it. Id imagine with the instant harsh forces the hub would be subjected to through use in trials, the shallow ratchet and tiny pawls would continue to ride over each other following a skip, creating a mess of the hub, and maybe the riders face.

Thats my view on them anyway, I could be completley wrong :P

profile-elite-cassette-hub-600x411.jpg

one skip, no more pedalling for you.

EDIT: although, the pawls are probably more likely to break than the ratchet teeth. . .I'm not sure if it will be super strong or super weak. . .

Edited by DrStix
  • Like 1

Just to get this straight, silver ECHO freewheels (except the very first gen. with black lockring) were the old "SL" model. Gold color is the current "SL" with titanium driver+lockring and steel outer ring. black color is the "TR" freewheel.

The fact that some dealers create their own names for components such as "SL 108 black" (=TR), "SL 108 silver" (=old SL) and "ECHO Titanium" (=SL Ti) freewheel doesn't help in this discussion.

same story with echo frames. The model names "ECHO Lite" (="ECHO 20") or "ECHO Pure" (="ECHO 26") were stopped before 2011 but I can still find them being used for 2011-2013 frames.

We found customers more confused by the name of a product being needlessly changed. Judging by the way it's still universally used and there's absolutely no issue with customers being 'confused' about which product is being mentioned it doesn't really seem like it's any real problem? The only people I've ever heard mention it are you and Alex. This whole topic even proves my point in that the initial post was about an Echo SL and every single post after that was able to correctly identify which freewheel they were talking about. The only time that question was even raised seemed to be when Alex mentioned it.

We also chose to name the Echo bikes in our range because it helped locate them in terms of previous frames rather than just saying it's a "Mk.1". Not to mention it also helps segregate frames and bike models when speaking to customers who aren't massively clued up over the phone/via e-mail. If someone just says "I have an Echo 20"" it could mean anything from an '09 Echo Lite to a 2005 Echo Team to a 2012 bike. Giving it a specific model name and year helps us and customers a lot in terms of being able to say what they have and therefore being able to actually help them with any issues they might have. Again, it doesn't seem to be a problem for anyone?

• Like 1

You didn't try out Echo's first generation 72 click freewheel (back around 2007-08) which was based on the White Industries ENO freewheel design. Needless to say, it was an utter disaster. The shell body and cromo outer sprocket, was probably the most reliable part of the whole design.

I do remember them yes now you mention it.

How about them free hubs that deng did back around that time? God they were shite!

I remember the ratchet ring spinning within the hub was fairly common on the Deng freehubs.

I did this very thing to a profile mini cassette hub. That's the main reason why I'd never run a free hub again