Arm Pump Issue...

williams

You could see it as a waste of money I suppose, but it kept my enthusiasm for riding at a high. Im quite technically minded, so trying new things, different setups and seeing how it affects performance was something I enjoyed.

Exactly what I feel like. It makes riding funnier and more exciting! Comment of the day ;)

Every thread I read that ghost rider fella is always there giving negative comments will some1 please poke him in the eye ! :-) stick with maguras everyone has experienced arm pump it will go eventually

Just because you don´t like em doesn´t mean they are negative ;) Definitely more useful than your advice too.

This may also help by giving you an alternative side to the arm pump story.

Arm pump is one of the largest causes for climbers to fall off routes. In the climbing world there are two types of physical variations of succesful climber; a power house and a less built climber. Stereotypically what this means is that the well built muscular climber is able to deliver high performance strength but only do so for a short period of time before they become pumped. Because the body is using more muscle mass, lactic acid builds up at a quicker rate.

Conversely the less built climber can deliver lower levels of performance but for a lot longer period of time.

Being able to do both is very hard but it can be done!

In summary.

Try to either use less muscle in your arm, or dont tighten up as much as possible when needed. This reduction in workload should help fight the lactic acid build up

a power house and a less built climber. Stereotypically what this means is that the well built muscular climber is able to deliver high performance strength but only do so for a short period of time before they become pumped. Because the body is using more muscle mass, lactic acid builds up at a quicker rate.

Conversely the less built climber can deliver lower levels of performance but for a lot longer period of time.

In summary.

Try to either use less muscle in your arm, or dont tighten up as much as possible when needed. This reduction in workload should help fight the lactic acid build up

So your saying that I'm a bit like the "power house"? :)

That's a great post! Never thought of it like that... :o

Well,lactic acid build up happens because there´s not enough oxygen to cover muscle needs.Why?Because there is not enough blood flowing trough them.Why?Because when you hold your brake(or rock or barbell or...)your forearm muscles are under constant tension,which compreses blood vessels in muscles, so there´s effective reduction in blood flow. Don´t hold levers all the time and that will let some blood to get in there and lactic acid out...Easy as that.

• Like 1

Well,lactic acid build up happens because there´s not enough oxygen to cover muscle needs.Why?Because there is not enough blood flowing trough them.Why?Because when you hold your brake(or rock or barbell or...)your forearm muscles are under constant tension,which compreses blood vessels in muscles, so there´s effective reduction in blood flow. Don´t hold levers all the time and that will let some blood to get in there and lactic acid out...Easy as that.

You learn something new every day.. :)

But out of just curiosity, how is this cured with vee's? :) I didn't have this problem with my 2011 maggie..

Thanks guys! :D

I've only opened up the 11' lever, but couldn't you squeeze the spring together? I mean if you stretch it out you're gonna get more tension, and wouldn't the opposite decrease the tension? Just a thought, correct me if im wrong haha:)

Thanks guys! :D

I've only opened up the 11' lever, but couldn't you squeeze the spring together? I mean if you stretch it out you're gonna get more tension, and wouldn't the opposite decrease the tension? Just a thought, correct me if im wrong haha:)

You could, but then the spring wouldnt extend the right length within the lever body. So you would have a certain amount of stroke then it would hit the spring. Would feel odd.

Not dumb at all! :P I had the same idea initially but realized as I was typing it out haha.

Your best bet is to try get hold of a spring thats the right length and has a lower tension :)

haha when you explained it it seemed like a dumb idea haha ;)

Might do it:) Thanks!

You could probably get one made if your that serious about it?

naaah I'm not that serious about it, but I wan't to get rid of it. But it seems to have disappeared on the new bike :) Could be that I'm not using any brake booster too? :)

Yes? Arm pump issues after going back to rear maggie.

The magura is obviously requiring more forearm power for him to feel like its working for him.

What I do down at the motocross track is before each session, place your fingertips on your bars and stretch your arm so your hand is 90 degrees to your forearm.

Before you realise it, you will be used to the maggie and arm pump will be no more.

I've raced motorbikes on the track quite a few times, and i used to get pump up in both arms, classic case was trying a fend off a tankslapper and because i was holding on that hard, it threw me off because my arms were solid. Spoke to my old man when i eventually got back, he told me to relax and not grip as tight, let the bike move around underneath you. Its 90% the same principle on a trials bike, i know this cos when i started riding the pedal bike, i used to suffer with forearm pump. Releasing your grip just a small amount really does help.

Edited by bing