Arm Pump Issue...

williams

I've never suffered with arm pump on my trials bike, even on multiple full days riding.

Maybe it's something for you to work on too Ali if your having arm pump issues.

Believe me I've tried a lot of things, even considered surgery. I only ever get it when doing a comp and I did find a cure....a V brake completely stopped it.

Come ride some lines on some rocks and tell me you don't get arm pump.

yeah exactly, I only get it when riding long sections that last a while and includes alot of braking :)

I did struggle with arm pump on a couple of sections even with my v brake.

Just curious, do you get arm pumps with your saints? :)

As other people have said, adjusting your riding helps. I always used to look for places to trackstand without using my brakes, try to point up hill when possible and use chain tension. You can use little holes and bumps to put your front wheel against too to help, or hang your back wheel just off an edge.....it's surprising how much it helps.

• Like 1

As other people have said, adjusting your riding helps. I always used to look for places to trackstand without using my brakes, try to point up hill when possible and use chain tension. You can use little holes and bumps to put your front wheel against too to help, or hang your back wheel just off an edge.....it's surprising how much it helps.

Thats a trick i use, find a place to stop where you can wedge your front wheel, or trackstand brakeless in order to stretch my fingers. Youd be suprised how much it relaxs you. At my level, oyu can get away with resting a pedal down as well, or on the bash

Hey there, Ive ridden Motocross all my life and arm pump is the devil. Ive found that the best way to counter it is by mentally forcing yourself not to hang on too tight and relax your grip at every opportunity. Bar and lever positions come in to it too but relaxing your grip is the key. If you try squeezing your hand in to a fist and hold it under pressure you'll feel your forearms getting tighter and tighter, relax and it immediately goes away, this is the arm pump principle. Hope this helps.

I get really bad arm pump in comps, sometimes to the point of having to use two fingers on the rear brake. It's only on the rear Magura I get it (2005 lever). I've tried different lever angles, bar angles and to relax my hand/grip when I can but nothing really helps :(

Has anyone ever tried a lighter sping in an 05 Magura lever, or found any difference using an 04 or newer 2011 shape levers to be any less prone to causing arm pump?

Have looked about on google and seen a few light action springs that are designed for instruiments like trumpets ect that look promising. Be interested to know if a lighter spring has made a difference to anyone.

I would possibly be tempted to try a rear v-brake but it's a lot of money to just give it a go if it made no difference.

I get really bad arm pump in comps, sometimes to the point of having to use two fingers on the rear brake. It's only on the rear Magura I get it (2005 lever). I've tried different lever angles, bar angles and to relax my hand/grip when I can but nothing really helps :(

Has anyone ever tried a lighter sping in an 05 Magura lever, or found any difference using an 04 or newer 2011 shape levers to be any less prone to causing arm pump?

Have looked about on google and seen a few light action springs that are designed for instruiments like trumpets ect that look promising. Be interested to know if a lighter spring has made a difference to anyone.

I would possibly be tempted to try a rear v-brake but it's a lot of money to just give it a go if it made no difference.

I didn't have this problem with my 2011 4 finger magura.. :o

Hey there, Ive ridden Motocross all my life and arm pump is the devil. Ive found that the best way to counter it is by mentally forcing yourself not to hang on too tight and relax your grip at every opportunity. Bar and lever positions come in to it too but relaxing your grip is the key. If you try squeezing your hand in to a fist and hold it under pressure you'll feel your forearms getting tighter and tighter, relax and it immediately goes away, this is the arm pump principle. Hope this helps.

Thank you very much man, I appreciate it! :D

If your magura is faily old and alwas been run on water try taking out the piston, sanding it down a tad and lubing the seal with a light oil, this helped give mine a lighter action.

Then bled it with 100% (diluted / pre-mix) antifreeze and jobs a ruddy goodun.

If your magura is faily old and alwas been run on water try taking out the piston, sanding it down a tad and lubing the seal with a light oil, this helped give mine a lighter action.

Then bled it with 100% (diluted / pre-mix) antifreeze and jobs a ruddy goodun.

It's a factory bled 05'. It's a bit slow though.. But I don't wan't to open it up yet since I hate doing oil bleeds haha :)

Edited by williams

To those replying about motox riding, I heard a rumour/folklore about professional moto cross riders have some surgery done that removes protective tubes around their tendons to allow more response and reduce arm pump? Is this a myth or is it true?

To those replying about motox riding, I heard a rumour/folklore about professional moto cross riders have some surgery done that removes protective tubes around their tendons to allow more response and reduce arm pump? Is this a myth or is it true?

I think Ali was gonna get this done? Soemthing to do with a 'sack' around the muscle that only lets it expand so far.

But yeah, I think its true.

So a sort of update now, I stll get the arm pumps, now really fast! After like 10-20 times under the same 'section' I get arm pumps... I had my lever in a 'my standard' position, but it's pretty fast isn't it? Can a magura get seized (A forum spelling nazi is welcome to correct that word) up when it's left unused for like 2-3 months, on a factory oil bled?

Lots of motocross/Motogp/Superbike riders have that surgery. Quite a common thing for them - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104660

Bit of info about what Arm pump is and advice (relates to motorcycling, but you get the jist) http://backontrackphysio.org/page7.htm

So I've had a chat with a riding mate. He's a comp and street rider and says that it's just to ride on, and train the arm muscle. For me, a surgery is just a no, that's to far for me...

Anyhow, he recommended these: gripper.jpg

And a water/anti freeze bleed! Should do the trick:)