How to fakie wheelie?

showurcolours

Hey guys,

Firstly, not sure if it's even called a 'fakie wheelie' but that's the best way to describe it imo;

Seen a few people on various videos do this trick, was just wondering if someone could explain the steps needed to learn it!

~Also, I posted in trials chat and not beginner as I wouldn't really call it a beginner move~

Cheers :)

the trick is getting past your bad foot position, but essentially you want to be in exactly the same position as a forwards manual and try and keep even pedal pressure at all times. This is pretty tricky and at first you'll find it hard to make the transition between foot positions easily, unfortunately I don't have any magic tips other than practice and to try as hard as you can to keep that even pressure.

But you aint pedalling

Well, you are though cus otherwise you ain't gonna go anywhere.

the trick is getting past your bad foot position, but essentially you want to be in exactly the same position as a forwards manual and try and keep even pedal pressure at all times. This is pretty tricky and at first you'll find it hard to make the transition between foot positions easily, unfortunately I don't have any magic tips other than practice and to try as hard as you can to keep that even pressure.

Yeh the issue I have is my balance point isn't quite right just yet and when I lean back, the pressure on the pedals just throws the front wheel up more. Out of interest, would you say 'perfecting' the manual and fakie individually first would help me learn this trick quicker?

Also Ali, what is it actually called cus I'm just guessing haha - cheers though dude

it seems to be universally called a fakie manual

I think being competent at normal manuals is definitely an advantage, you use your knees and "pumping" motion as you would a normal manual so knowing how to do that first will help. Also, find a gentle slope and practice on that if you are not already.

I struggle to get past what your calling the bad foot position I think Ali. I can get half a crank or so in but then I just drop.
It's hard to explain, but you need to learn how to keep leg tension without a straight leg. Might I suggest you perform a forward Manual and try pedalling backwards at the same time. You'll start to feel the way your legs should feel during the Fakie, but going forwards first which is easier.

As mentioned above I can't do them but I can get it started. I found that starting to roll back then pushing a bit on the pedals and pulling the bars at the same time causes the front end to come up. Not pushing enough to slow you down, just for a split second.

The way I learned was to plough my front wheel into a say, foot high wall (high enough for my front wheel not to roll over it and short enough to not hit my bars/face on), didn't use my front brake but did an endo then use the force of the backwheel falling down as momentum together with leaning back to pull up on my bars after both wheels were back on the ground.

• Like 1