Can anyone recommend a good chain?

Callum219

Kool sl

I sheared multiple links on one of those just riding around on my BMX (as in the links just broke, rather than splaying apart because I'd joined it like a 'tard). I don't really know how much I'd ever be able to trust one for trials. I had enough problems with the K710 breaking, let alone making holes in it then trying to ride with it...

The main reason I use the Kool sl is because the pins are solid as. When trimming this chain the tool goes through serious stresses that no other chain I have split gives, I use yhe kool sl split pin too which has also proven to be tough as, my mate uses the same Kool sl, he is 16 stone.

Isn't the new tryall sl chain the same as well. Just asuming some top French comp riders will be using this chain now

Doesn't matter if the pins are solid. 9/10 times a chain will fail because of a naff job joining it.
You could have a chain with pins silly strong, as you say, and have weak plates, as do the SL chains. I dont think I've ever seen a pin fail.

I've snapped two SL chains in quick succession on the plate itself, both under two weeks old.

My current Z610 hx is around 6 months old now, and had numerous shortages/lengthening on different frames and its still solid with no loose pins. Get a decent chain tool and no one should have an issue.

I use park tools mini brute at home and the brute at work.

I split around 10 chains a week ?

I use the split link suplyed with the Kmc Kool sl chain and guess what my freind snapped one Kool sl it took 9 months and was due to hitting the chain on a rock and it held up the rest of the ride on half the link in tackt, we realized it had a broken link at home checking the bike over before the next ride. Replace the chain and good for another 9 months, or 6 if my mate replaced his as often as I do.

I know why u broke a Kool sl. You reused the pins after removing them, don't do this if you get the kool sl, use the split link.

If I had enough sl split links I would run a chain made purely of split links for a comp just to prove a point