GoPro Hero 3 - black or silver?

Tony Harrison

Anyone got any thoughts? Hero 2 is not an option - I can buy either silver or black versions of the mk 3.

Mainly it'll be helmet/headstrap mounted for BMX, adventure stuff.

I don't know if I'll miss what the black has over the silver. Ok, the remote control could be useful, but the 'cinema' quality modes and all that?

once the black is set up the remote is ace. On trails i just click to record, put it in my pocket, ride the trail then click to stop at the bottom, and turn it off as batteries aren't great. Obviously you can click the actual camera but its stiff and doesn't always stop combined with the camera moving out of position if you had it set up right. The app, is pretty cool for setting up shots but it annoys me riding trails with the phone in my pocket combined with it using my phone battery.

the remote alone is abut £70-80 i believe and the silver was only £50 or so cheaper if i remember rightly at the time. I also believe there are a few other benefits which i can't quite recall but one maybe the lense? Id watch youtube videos and go on comparison sites. But in the end i favoured the extra few £'s and its been worth it just for the few times I've needed the remote.

By the way.....I may sell mine if I get the right price. Used it maybe 8 times (twice on bike and rest just doing time lapse in garden of clouds) never dropped, never dirty, like brand new, totally spotless. Could reattach it to the box (I have all the bits unused) and sell it new probably but I'm no knobby knob knob. Message me if you want a cheaper option to spanking new whilst still basically being new

Appreciate the offer, but I live in Thailand!!

Thanks for all the feedback - I'm leaning towards the black, because once it's done I'll forget about the extra money. It's more the additional quality settings than the remote - the remote would just be a bonus, and a useful one.

I don't use a smartphone on a daily basis but I do have an iPhone 3G in a drawer somewhere. Does it use wireless (i.e. 'wi-fi') to communicate?

My friend has a silver, we compared footage from his and my Hero 1 and it looks almost exactly the same. The angle of view on the Hero 3 is a bit better.

The cinema quality of the Black is nonsense, you almost certainly don't have the computing power to edit that footage let alone display it. Either way I'd get the Black, only because if you're going to buy something, buy the best. That way you can go without replacing it for much longer.

Black has much better low light performance. Given some of the stuff you get up to, that alone means it's a no brainer :)

Edit: Also I know everyone's saying that the higher resolution is useless. But the main point with the 2.7k (and 4k, although 15fps is useless) footage is that you can crop, re-frame or even software stabilise the footage (which normally results in a slight crop) and still be able to output it at full 1080p resolution without upscaling. In the case of using stabilisation software you can end up with uber slick footage without the ballache of using the GoPro with a steadicam or rig etc.

Edited by Mike Deere

Had some issues, annoyingly, and a few reviews suggest the Hero 3 was rushed out by GoPro (not that a Hero 2 was ever an option, as above).

Still, a firmware update seems to have solved the problem, which was freezing/crashing on power-up. Annoying, because each time this happens you have to take the camera out of the casing and take the battery out to reset it. We'll see how we go though. Otherwise, the film quality is really good, and I like the design, fixings, etc. Just trying to find a motorbike here in Laos so that I can use my (hella overpriced) handlebar mount...