Breaking chains

hezzay

Ive been riding for a little over 6 months now and I've managed to break three chains already, two were KMC 610 HX..

They always snap at the split link. Any advice on alternative ways to join the chain? I can't seem to find the axles you need to join them again.

So sick of the breaking chains, keeps my confidence way low..

don't push the link all the way out of the outside pin, that way you can just push it back together. Do it carefully so you don't remove any material around the hole and it will be solid.

I've always done it like this and never broken a chain

• Like 1

Yeah as in the one without using a tool. Strange thing though,new cranks led to my chain rubbing the inside of the chainstay

Yes split link you must be crazy. Join the chain with a chain tool and you won't have problems.

You didn't snap the chain, you snapped the split link.

• Like 1

I always use a split link. Never had any issues.

I have more issues with chains breaking after joining them 'correctly'

On my mtb they hold up fine, just not for trials use.

I would be checking your chain line/chain tension.

What size sprockets? The smaller sprockets the more load the chain takes.

Closed end always facing the direction of chain travel? They undo themselves if they're installed open end forwards :)

Quite hard to answer this as I've used three different split links. All of them broke. I'm quite sure you don't mean that by 'they undo themselves'. :D Anyways, I joined my chain with a chaintool now. I rode a couple of hours yesterday and checked the axles and links, they all seem fine! I hope this holds up better. :)

I have two KMC Z610x chains in order right now, so if it fails I have plenty of links to make a chain.

By split link I mean one of these not a power link type connector.

renthal_link.jpg

The rounded end of the spring clip needs to be fitted in the direction of travel otherwise it will fall off. True split links are just as strong as normal links and I have never had one fail before other links.

Snap together powerlink type connectors aren't as strong :)

Well, I've had those too, and they snapped. :) I'm thinking it's because of the little ridges in the two pawls?

I'm not sure anyway. Again, I've now joined my chain using a chain tool and the 'original' links, so I should be fine. If I'm not, I'll be doing something wrong. :) Hope I still have my teeth when I find out!