Torque Wrenches

Sponge

Hey,

Can anyone recommend a reliable brand/model of torque wrench that covers larger torques say ~ 30-70 Nm? Numbers are approximate but anything 30 Nm up is what I'm looking for.

I'm happy to buy from somewhere like Screwfix, Ebay, or a bike shop that would stock it, but not sure on which are reliable brands/models that can go ages without needing recalibration. I realised they're not as robust or can take a hammering like every other tool in the box so would prefer something that's definitely reliable from the go. Not looking to spend anything more than £50-60 as a guideline but I'm flexible. I figure someone here must know of a good value-for-money big torque wrench that's accurate out of the box and can stay that way for a healthy length of time?

Also any tips on how to look after & keep torque wrenches accurate would be appreciated! Feel free to share any dos and do-nots :)

Cheers!

Sponge

Edited by Sponge

Hey Sponge,

Norbar Torque Tools are excellent and I will highly recommend them (it's their main business), but to be fair any torque wrench from a reputable company will be fine... Snap-on, MAC etc.

The only real advice on how to keep a torque wrench is to never store it set at a torque. Set it, use it, then remove the preload. Simples!

You'll probably find though it's not something you will use regularly so it might be better for you to nip down to your local car garage or something with your bike and ask if they will let you use one of theirs if you don't have a mate who has one!

For low torque stuff I've got a Halford's pro wrench that's been great. I've had it 6/7 years and had it recalibrated last year, it was within 2/3nm of the gauge so I was chuffed with that. Think they're around £65-£75 with a lifetime warranty.

For low torque stuff I've got a Halford's pro wrench that's been great. I've had it 6/7 years and had it recalibrated last year, it was within 2/3nm of the gauge so I was chuffed with that. Think they're around £65-£75 with a lifetime warranty.

Halford's Pro range is really rather good. Break anything, and as long as you still have the receipt, they were replace it there and then. I think they might be on special offer at the moment too.

Brilliant, just the answers I was looking for.

The Norbars look great, currently looking at this one: http://www.toolstop.co.uk/index.php?option=shop&page=shop.product_details&product_id=11815&l=uk&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&gclid=CIbsr_fLhL0CFagKwwod3UUAdA

I'm using Middleburns, and I think it'll be a good habit to set the proper torque on good quality parts, but mainly to keep the tapers in top condition. Also intending on using it for work on my next car so plenty of good reasons to invest in one now :).

Will check out the Halfords ones too if they are as good as you say they are! The warranty makes it very tempting.

I don't think it'd cope with day in day out use, but as a diy tool it's great for the monies.

They do stand up to it. The halfords ones are really very good and that full warranty is awesome and just adds extra incentive to break it so you can get a nice shiney new one haha

It wouldn't be for day in day out use, the tools stay in unless something's worked its way loose.

Just thought it'd be handy as this lower torque wrench I've used has made setting some bolts really quick and convenient. I'd like to apply the same to my drivetrain, and would end up using it for my car when it needs it. There's something satisfying about having your own tools and being able to do as much as possible by yourself :)

• 3 weeks later...

sorry for the bump, but if there is a thread I do not make a new one

I am thinking about getting a torque wrench to use in general at bikes, like for BB and lockring tool, disc bolts, stems, brake parts, stuff like that

I am looking for something quality tool, but not too expensive professional, it will be only for hobby use

As a first buyer, what should I get?

disc bolts, stem and brakes will need a much smaller torque wrench than the bigger parts.

To be honest after having spent 5 years as a mechanic I only ever use a torque wrench on carbon parts or hollowtech cranks and I have never had a problem doing that.

Edited by sstein

that looks good enough

The reason why I am looking at tourque wrenches are:

1. have not got a clue about tools

2. I am looking something with a large socket, so I can use tools like the BB and lockring tool, as I am quite confident with rest of the parts using hand and common sense (try tighten them just enough, until the stem and bar wont move, for example)

Is there any option for me that is cheap and does not contain moving parts?

Edited by UKHippY

Is there any option for me that is cheap and does not contain moving parts?

A 'Beam' torque wrench is what your after then! They do not wratchet and they do not click or beep when you hit the torque. They rely on you stopping when the indicator on the gauge is at the torque you require. They are also p*ss cheap! (not as accurate as the other types but it sounds like it's just what you need.)

• Like 1